Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Oysters!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #61
ComcastWineRookie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsailor View Post
we finally got an oyster bar in town. It's called the Bubbly mermaid and so far the oysters and drinks have been very, very good but at $3 an oyster (more for any prepared) and $7 - $12 a drink it gets expensive fast. I'd still rather go get my own.
the upcharge for transport to alaska has to be a killer, though king crab legs must me amazingly low

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2013, 06:10 PM   #62
Subsailor
Life is Tough, Stupid makes it Tougher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 502 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 3702

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComcastWineRookie View Post
the upcharge for transport to alaska has to be a killer, though king crab legs must me amazingly low
Yes, talked with the owner, Apollo, very nice guy. He gets his oysters locally and shipped in from Oregon, Washington and a couple other places.
When my oldest son, Joe, was travelling doing construction we used to get King and Snow crab for free when he was on site. On his best trip he brought home a bushel of fresh Bering Sea Scallops, about a bushel and a half Snow Crab, 1/4 Caribou, 2 big Sheefish filets and a half pound of muktuk.
He would usually meet the fishermen at the docks or the bar in a wet village and offer free remodel/construction labor in trade for fresh seafood and whatever.
If we buy the crab legs in the store, we still pay $15 or $16/pound minimum.
SSBN 641 B

Old 09-10-2013, 06:59 PM   #63
Oceantendency
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelale View Post
Down here, they say that oysters are only good in months with an "R" in them. Those harvested in Ray, Rune, Jury, and Aurgust just don't taste the same.
Actually you got dat ass backwards...you ain't suppose to harvest 'em if the month has an R in it...I'm a coonass, I should know..originally from Houma, LA.

And hell no on the stout...Drink an Abita TurboDog or Amber, that goes great with Oysters

Cronical: empty
bottle:Mosaic Tripel, Honey/Vanilla Hefe, Honey Nelson Saison,Pale Blood moon Ale, Rosemary Blondie, Dunkelweisen bomb, O'Connor Red, Biere de Boucher, Honey Nelson Saison, Monk Tophula's Quad, and Aigi Dubbley
On Tap:Canada Draft and Mosaic Tripel , with the English Brown soon.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:57 PM   #64
WesleyS
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2696 Times on 1758 Posts
Likes Given: 359

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceantendency

Actually you got dat ass backwards...you ain't suppose to harvest 'em if the month has an R in it...I'm a coonass, I should know..originally from Houma, LA.

And hell no on the stout...Drink an Abita TurboDog or Amber, that goes great with Oysters
You've been gone from Louisiana for too long.
I live on the gulf coast and I've heard my whole life only to eat oysters harvested in months with an R.
Although it really doesn't need to be strictly adhered to now days, the saying is definitely "only eat oysters in months with an r."

Long story short, Beer.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:03 PM   #65
FredTheNuke
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Question: Why buy oysters in months with the letter "r"?

Why is it advised to only buy oysters in months spelled with the letter "r"?

Answer: The old guideline was to eat oysters only in months that are spelled using the letter "R." This came from the days before refrigeration when oysters could quickly spoil.

However, there is another good reason to stick to fall, winter, and spring for your oyster forays, particularly when eating raw oysters. Oysters spawn in the warm summer months, usually May through August, although natural Gulfwater oysters can spawn year-round due to the warm waters. Spawning causes them to become fatty, watery, soft, and less flavorful instead of having the more desirable lean, firm texture and bright seafood flavor of those harvested in cooler, non-spawning months.

This being said, you can still find good oysters in spring and summer, usually imported from cooler waters or from farms.

A new genetic procedure being used by some commercial oyster farms renders farm-raised oysters sterile, so they don't spawn at all, thus making prime oysters available year-round.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:08 PM   #66
FredTheNuke
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Baked Oysters McClellanville are the Best!

Old 09-10-2013, 10:13 PM   #67
Heavywalker
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 8

It is funny to read these kind of post. Living on the coast you forget how fortunate you are to have fresh seafood. I've never ate a frozen oyster, we go down to the dock and pick them up by the gross.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:50 PM   #68
Hoptimistic
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 204

Time for oyster stouts obviously.

as far as cooking them goes. i enjoy getting a steel grate, setting it about a foot over a low burning fire (coal or wood flavor is up to you), as soon as the shell pops open i pop a knife in there and scoop the suckers out and drop them into some melted garlic butter. serve with hot sauce to taste.

"brewing beer is not complicated or expensive, it is up to each indiviual brewer* to decide how complicate and expensive they want to make it. (note: *insert brewer's wife were applicable)"

Subsailor Likes This 
Old 09-11-2013, 04:09 PM   #69
WesleyS
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2696 Times on 1758 Posts
Likes Given: 359

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoptimistic
as far as cooking them goes. i enjoy getting a steel grate, setting it about a foot over a low burning fire (coal or wood flavor is up to you), as soon as the shell pops open i pop a knife in there and scoop the suckers out and drop them into some melted garlic butter. serve with hot sauce to taste.
That sounds good! I'll have to try that.
And of course serve them with one of these.

image-2497960981.jpg

Long story short, Beer.

FermentNEthinG Likes This 
Old 09-11-2013, 05:42 PM   #70
Oceantendency
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyS View Post
You've been gone from Louisiana for too long.
I live on the gulf coast and I've heard my whole life only to eat oysters harvested in months with an R.
Although it really doesn't need to be strictly adhered to now days, the saying is definitely "only eat oysters in months with an r."
No we said that cause that's the best month's to enjoy an ice Cold beer with and the fishing is usually the best except for 2 months with an R; October and November, best fishing months of the whole YEAR for Redfish and Speckled Trout !! LOL !!

Actually the summer also has higher Algal blooms due to the warmer water of the Gulf, but we also tended to stay away from Oysters during May/June depending on how much ice melt was flooding the MS River, which would effect only certain areas due to the silting. Important to know the source of your oysters.

Cronical: empty
bottle:Mosaic Tripel, Honey/Vanilla Hefe, Honey Nelson Saison,Pale Blood moon Ale, Rosemary Blondie, Dunkelweisen bomb, O'Connor Red, Biere de Boucher, Honey Nelson Saison, Monk Tophula's Quad, and Aigi Dubbley
On Tap:Canada Draft and Mosaic Tripel , with the English Brown soon.

Quick Reply