Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Oysters!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 06:54 AM   #51
Ostomo517
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 573 Times on 363 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by estricklin View Post

I miss Whataburger, haven't ate there since I was 13 or 14. I don't miss the long line though.
I hear ya on the line, but that double meat double cheese is sooooo worth it! ok sorry, return to post subject

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 10:08 PM   #52
corkybstewart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
My Texas friends just left, and they gifted us with several packages of frozen shucked oysters!

I have enough for several meals, but she told me her favorite way is a simple recipe.

She told me to thaw and drain the oysters, and then use a ton of butter and garlic in a cast iron pan. Add the oysters and cook slightly. Add some chopped spinach and cook the rest of the way. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and serve with crusty bread.

I'm making that tonight! I'll take a few pictures and let you know how it turns out.

I like breaded and fried oysters, too, so that will probably be next up.
This is basically oysters Rockefeller. We cook it with very finely chopped bell pepper, onion and celery with a little Anisette liquor. Put the raw oysters in the sauteed Onion/pepper/celery, top with spinach and Parmesan and bake 15 minutes.
In Mobile we would actually put the raw oysters back in shells, puree all the sauteed vegetables and spinach together with the Anisette, and cover the oysters completely. Sprinkle the parmesan on top. The pureed veggies hold the moisture in the oysters so things don't dry out.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:10 PM   #53
corkybstewart

Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostomo517 View Post
Ill be in Corpus Christi for a week starting tomorrow. I plan on surviving on dozens of those yummy jewels, Whataburger and beer..... Mixed in with the occasional Lone Star
I spent 4 days in Corpus last fall, they actually had limits on oysters. We each had a couple dozen the first day, then all the oyster bars ran out and we were forced to eat shrimp and crab the other 3 days.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:13 PM   #54
dtfleming
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

21st Amendment makes a good oyster stout, though they only use the shells too.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:42 PM   #55
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 1852 Times on 1633 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

Stop it! I can't stand it! I love oysters & clams. We used to be able to go down to the beach during spring thaw when the waves were rough on Lake Erie & pick a couple of 5 gallon buckets of big clams. We used to have the family over for fresh clam chowder & home made french bread.
I also love either one dredged in corn meal & fried. Or in the bbq pit with ash on the half shell with amish smoked cheddar.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:03 PM   #56
mchrispen
accidentalis.com

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Hi Yooper,

Prolly very late to the game here, but we have a family tradition with oyster soup over the holiday. I can't point to the origins, but my family farms in North Kansas, three generations. I made it over Christmas from fresh shucked oysters and a tin of canned, and a bit of beer.

Essentially it is a simple soup made with oysters, tasty and briney.

4 cups of whole milk, sub in some whole cream if you want it richer.
1 large can of canned oysters (look for those packed in salt water, not the oily smoked oysters), make sure to add the liquor.
Any fresh oysters I can find that are inexpensive (we can buy a 2 pound fresh tub here at HEB)
1 small vidalia onion, finely chopped
3-4 cloves of garlic (too taste)
1/2 to 1 stick of butter (I sub some olive oil to reduce the butter, silly after looking at all that milk)

Saute the onion on medium heat to soften in butter and olive oil, then add the fresh and canned oysters (hold back the liquor) for a few minutes, along with the garlic. Looking for the garlic to just start to darken a bit.

Then I add a half bottle of a light beer (usually a pilsner), the milk and the oyster liquor, and bring to a simmer. You can also add potatoes, but I find they need to be precooked or the oysters get overdone and fall apart.

We typically serve the soup over day old cornbread or use saltines. And hot sauced to taste, if you like it. My grandfather used to dose it with a bit of horseradish.

If you think cooking them in a soup is heresy, I would agree, but in the middle of rural Kansas, tinned is the best you can get!

Old 01-16-2013, 07:16 PM   #57
niko
Recipes 

Abita Oyster Stout! Good stuff.

Ale Pail 1: empty
Ale Pail 2: empty
Ale Pail 3: empty

Bottled: Dogfish 60 Clone
Keg 1: Doppelbock
Keg 2: Appfelwein
Keg 3: IPA
Keg 4: Empty (will be Arrogant Bastardness)
Keg 5: Empty (will be Lager)

http://www.inthehumidor.com

Old 01-21-2013, 05:32 AM   #58
estricklin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko View Post
Abita Oyster Stout! Good stuff.
Recently was able to try 2 of Abita's here in AR, still wanting to try Turbo Dog though.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:25 PM   #59
ComcastWineRookie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
My Texas friends just left, and they gifted us with several packages of frozen shucked oysters!

I have enough for several meals, but she told me her favorite way is a simple recipe.

She told me to thaw and drain the oysters, and then use a ton of butter and garlic in a cast iron pan. Add the oysters and cook slightly. Add some chopped spinach and cook the rest of the way. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and serve with crusty bread.

I'm making that tonight! I'll take a few pictures and let you know how it turns out.

I like breaded and fried oysters, too, so that will probably be next up.
yoop, I used to live on the panhandle of florida, a nice oyster stew is amazing. just throw everything, juice and all, into a pot of potstoes and onions and it will end up devine. harpoon did a 100 barrel batch last year using island creek oysters (oyster stout) which was absolutely devine

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:36 PM   #60
Subsailor
Life is Tough, Stupid makes it Tougher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 500 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 3697

we finally got an oyster bar in town. It's called the Bubbly mermaid and so far the oysters and drinks have been very, very good but at $3 an oyster (more for any prepared) and $7 - $12 a drink it gets expensive fast. I'd still rather go get my own.

SSBN 641 B

Quick Reply