Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Oysters!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2012, 12:28 AM   #31
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4450 Times on 3239 Posts
Likes Given: 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelale View Post
Down here, they say that oysters are only good in months with an "R" in them. Those harvested in Ray, Rune, Jury, and Aurgust just don't taste the same.
Oh, I agree! We only eat them in the winter. Our friends shuck and froze these shortly after we left them in March. (We spend the winters down the street from them, and actually should see them about 3 months from today in Texas). They were fantastic!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 12:31 AM   #32
estricklin
Certified Guitar Pickin' Hop Slingin' Crazy Homebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon3 View Post
Pan fried with simple corn meal and a little cajun seasoning, dipped in 1/2tobasco 1/2 fresh lemon juice.

Or....

Thrown in for the last minute (thawed) of a nice dark gumbo.
Add some file in with them there oysters and world peace could be a possibility.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:32 AM   #33
EnjoyGoodBeer
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Would love to feast on those. Look great and the pics werent that bad.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:39 AM   #34
BrewerBear
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Looks good and I really like Kale

Old 10-26-2012, 01:35 AM   #35
Reelale
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1373 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Oh, I agree! We only eat them in the winter. Our friends shuck and froze these shortly after we left them in March. (We spend the winters down the street from them, and actually should see them about 3 months from today in Texas). They were fantastic!
Never thought about freezing them. Were they good? Never seen frozen oysters in the store either. Everything else, but never oysters.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:42 AM   #36
45_70sharps
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Quote:
Down here, they say that oysters are only good in months with an "R" in them. Those harvested in Ray, Rune, Jury, and Aurgust just don't taste the same.
Yep. Those warm non R months the oysters are spawning. They get nasty and slimy.

Quote:
Never thought about freezing them. Were they good? Never seen frozen oysters in the store either. Everything else, but never oysters.
Back when I could eat them ( before I developed an allergy to shell fish ) I would freeze them in quarts. The perfect size for an oyster fry for one.

Man I miss being able to eat them. My favorite food in the world.

Let's see if I keep this updated!

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

Old 10-26-2012, 05:59 AM   #37
boxofjibboo
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyS

It's great to have friends like that.
The best fried oysters I've had we're from a place in Corpus Christi.(Which isn't too far from Rockport) These had to be the biggest oysters I've ever seen. One oyster alone took 3 bites to finish. They were fried to perfection, still plump and juicy under the light breading. Now I'm hungry for oysters!
What place are you talking about in CC? I have family there and I'd love to try it out when I visit again.

Also, what beer is best paired with oysters? Not to make with oysters but to drink while eating oysters.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:43 PM   #38
WesleyS
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2687 Times on 1751 Posts
Likes Given: 359

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxofjibboo

What place are you talking about in CC? I have family there and I'd love to try it out when I visit again.

Also, what beer is best paired with oysters? Not to make with oysters but to drink while eating oysters.
Tavern on the Bay at Harrison's Landing. It's been about a year and a half since I went there.
I can't give them the best rating because of a few things that happened. There was a live band and the music was way way too loud and a waiter spilled a whole glass of water down my mother's back without so much as a visit or apology from a manager. So that kinda soured the night a little. But I was completely satisfied with my food. I ordered the seafood combo which includes fish and two each of the largest oysters and shrimp I've ever eaten. When I make it back down to Corpus Christi I'll definitely be going back.

Long story short, Beer.

Old 10-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #39
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4450 Times on 3239 Posts
Likes Given: 866

Quote:
Yes, they were great! I didn't eat them raw, like I do with fresh oysters, but they smelled and tasted great when cooked. I kept the liquor, and froze that, for using in a chowder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyS View Post
Tavern on the Bay at Harrison's Landing. It's been about a year and a half since I went there.
I can't give them the best rating because of a few things that happened. There was a live band and the music was way way too loud and a waiter spilled a whole glass of water down my mother's back without so much as a visit or apology from a manager. So that kinda soured the night a little. But I was completely satisfied with my food. I ordered the seafood combo which includes fish and two each of the largest oysters and shrimp I've ever eaten. When I make it back down to Corpus Christi I'll definitely be going back.
I've never been there. I don't know if we'll try it or not, but thanks for the tip. We normally don't go out for seafood, since it's better at home, and my experiences, at least in Port A, are that the seafood in restaurants hasn't been all that good. We rarely go out, but when we do here is our favorite spot in CC: http://ichibanjapaneseseafoodbuffet.com/

Since last night's dinner, I've been thinking about grilling oysters on the half shell. Butter, garlic, lemon and hot sauce, on oysters on the grill just cooked until they are barely done. Maybe some shrimp on skewers next to the oysters, and perhaps some redfish on the grill also. I can't wait!

The next oyster meal here is going to be fried oysters. I love them fried, too.

Old 10-26-2012, 03:20 PM   #40
WesleyS
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2687 Times on 1751 Posts
Likes Given: 359

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper

I've never been there. I don't know if we'll try it or not, but thanks for the tip. We normally don't go out for seafood, since it's better at home, and my experiences, at least in Port A, are that the seafood in restaurants hasn't been all that good. We rarely go out, but when we do here is our favorite spot in CC: http://ichibanjapaneseseafoodbuffet.com/

Since last night's dinner, I've been thinking about grilling oysters on the half shell. Butter, garlic, lemon and hot sauce, on oysters on the grill just cooked until they are barely done. Maybe some shrimp on skewers next to the oysters, and perhaps some redfish on the grill also. I can't wait!

The next oyster meal here is going to be fried oysters. I love them fried, too.
I know what you mean. I grew up eating a lot of seafood at home, so I sometimes have a hard time eating seafood in a restaurant. It's just usually not the same.
But it sounds like you have some good meals coming up with those oysters.

Long story short, Beer.

Quick Reply