Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > One food you have never had... but are curious

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #251
BeerGrylls
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexbanner View Post
There's a No Reservations Seoul episode and one of the dishes is live octopus...it's sort of a rice dish with kimchi and a bunch of other vegetables, and they dump the octopus on top...sounds mean but you think a shark makes sure an octopus is dead before eating it? Anyways I've been wanting to eat that for years.
I'm in seoul now, and just had it. Very tasty, but I feel like it's mostly for effect. The suckers are still working, so you dip it quickly in a sesame-oil and salt mixture which makes is salty and slippery, and then put it in your mouth. The taste is very good if you like seafood, and you can't help but laugh when the suckers stick on to your mouth and tongue. I'd have it again!

The preparation I had didn't have anything else with it, however kimchi is very good as well.

I've been all over the world and tried to seek out some strange things, maybe I should start making suggestions for folks!

-BeerGrylls

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #252
Subsailor
Life is Tough, Stupid makes it Tougher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 502 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 3701

[QUOTE=Xpertskir;5326729]****A PSA to all the morel people in this thread: There is no faster way to kill yourself than eating the wrong wild mushroom. Please get educated or, better yet, go with someone who knows what they are talking about before you go traipsing around in the woods eating fungus.[QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more! Been mushroom hunting and plant foraging for over 45 years. My grandparents and parents taught me and I've been teaching my wife and kids. I still use reference books when I go to a new area and I attend any classes offered for plant/mushroom identification. The reason being that the flora I learned was safe in Michigan and Ohio growing up may not exist in the regions I have since lived in.

SSBN 641 B

Old 07-05-2013, 07:10 PM   #253
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 274 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 39

My parents were professional Mushroomers for several years and even taught classes for a mushroom club in Oregon, but I have never seen another mushroom that could be confused with a morel.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #254
Goofynewfie
Recipes 

Liked 245 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleme View Post
My parents were professional Mushroomers for several years and even taught classes for a mushroom club in Oregon, but I have never seen another mushroom that could be confused with a morel.
False morels
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_morel

You cant always be young but you can always be immature

Old 07-05-2013, 08:42 PM   #255
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 274 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofynewfie
Good to know although I doubt I will ever hunt mushroom east of the Rockies ;-)

Old 07-15-2013, 08:47 AM   #256
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 223 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpertskir View Post
****A PSA to all the morel people in this thread: There is no faster way to kill yourself than eating the wrong wild mushroom. Please get educated or, better yet, go with someone who knows what they are talking about before you go traipsing around in the woods eating fungus.
it's hard to disagree with this. especially with morels/false morels, or caesar's amanita/destroying angel etc. but, there are more risky and less risky ways of foraging for mushrooms. the most risky would be (and this is unfortunately what a lot of non-foragers think we do...) 1. go out in the woods 2. find and collect any mushroom encountered 3. go home and try to figure out what it is and whether it's edible.
the most safe way would be: wait until the exact season for a mushroom impossible to mistake for something toxic; hen of the woods or chicken mushroom are two great examples. in this case the worst you can do is pick a woody shelf mushroom and try to eat it, you might lose your teeth but that's it. pick only the mushroom you're after, if you come across anything else say "oh that's nice" and move on.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:16 PM   #257
podz
Recipes 

Liked 169 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofynewfie View Post

We crazy people up here in Finland eat a whole lot of false morels. In finnish, they are called korvasieni.

They need to be parboiled outside. Even the vapors are toxic. Literally millions of people here eating them every year, though. They are even sold in supermarkets, already parboiled.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:24 PM   #258
Subsailor
Life is Tough, Stupid makes it Tougher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 502 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 3701

My Wife tried raw oysters for the first time in her life. She ate the first one, turned to me and said "These are Damn Good! Let's order some more!"
This was on Saturday. She picked me up from work yesterday and said "Let's go to the Oyster Bar for dinner!" We had raw oysters, of course, but she also tried the King Crab Cocktail, almost a meal in itself. We also sampled several prepared oysters; Bienville, Mornay, Rockefeller and a couple others. They serve fresh from over in Cordova.

I still can't get her to eat sushi though.

SSBN 641 B
podz Likes This 
Old 07-24-2013, 10:57 PM   #259
JeepDiver
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsailor View Post
My Wife tried raw oysters for the first time in her life. She ate the first one, turned to me and said "These are Damn Good! Let's order some more!"
This was on Saturday. She picked me up from work yesterday and said "Let's go to the Oyster Bar for dinner!" We had raw oysters, of course, but she also tried the King Crab Cocktail, almost a meal in itself. We also sampled several prepared oysters; Bienville, Mornay, Rockefeller and a couple others. They serve fresh from over in Cordova.

I still can't get her to eat sushi though.
My niece turns 21 today. When she was 6 my brother, sil, and her came to visit me in FL. Bro and SIL ordered 2 dozen raw, and she wanted to try one. They started cointing when the oysters were gone. Bro and SIL had a dozen and my neice finished a dozen herself
Old 07-25-2013, 01:53 AM   #260
Budvar
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Hell if she like oysters go to a Japanese Restaurant and get some Sea Urchin. You eat the ovaries, they taste like creamy butter. fair warning though, they're Good eatin' if they're fresh; a nightmare if they aren't. You can generally tell a reputable sushi restaurant from the mid/low grade one's depending on if they cut all their fish fresh from the fillets.

Quick Reply