Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > One food you have never had... but are curious

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #11
DromJohn
5 Gallon Mini-Mash Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Grandson of Scottish Louisiana bayou folk, I gorontee, with several St. Andrews feasts, a couple North Dakota branding weekends, and Army brat in German: I can check off haggis and fried Semintal testacles, mett, beef tartar and morels.

Most recent new food: moved to a new house with a loquat tree, first harvest, yum, but a bitch to peel.

Ah, I've got it. We just planted a couple of paw paw trees. I would like to taste paw paws.
Also, Pliny the Elder.

Drinking: AHS Budget IPA; William Moore's Summer Beer; Redhook Double Black Stout III; Chrysanthemum Honey Rye Ale; Cherry Porter; AHS SuperCaliFugglisticESBAledocious; Innis & Gunn Original II; Rafikah Rose's GF Pear Ale; NB La Petite Orange Blanche; NB The Plinian Legacy.
On order: Val-Dieu Triple.
Untappd: DromJohn

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2013, 07:15 PM   #12
PJoyce85
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 162 Times on 100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DromJohn
Grandson of Scottish Louisiana bayou folk, I gorontee, with several St. Andrews feasts, a couple North Dakota branding weekends, and Army brat in German: I can check off haggis and fried Semintal testacles, mett, beef tartar and morels.

Most recent new food: moved to a new house with a loquat tree, first harvest, yum, but a bitch to peel.

Ah, I've got it. We just planted a couple of paw paw trees. I would like to taste paw paws.
Also, Pliny the Elder.
Did you like the Mett?

Old 05-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #13
JayDubWill
Find me on Untapped: Jay Will
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Guess I've been lucky, I've had both mettwurst and morels, but not at the same time. Both are delicious. The mettwurst is cured and has a pleasant onion and slight smoke flavor and is typically eaten on light rye bread. The morels were pan fried in butter, salt, and pepper while camping in Oregon as a kid. I've also had them in Germany in a cream sauce with rabbit. The mushrooms were good but I didn't care for the rabbit. I've never had beluga caviar or real truffles…one day maybe…one day.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:20 PM   #14
PJoyce85
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 162 Times on 100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDubWill
Guess I've been lucky, I've had both mettwurst and morels, but not at the same time. Both are delicious. The mettwurst is cured and has a pleasant onion and slight smoke flavor and is typically eaten on light rye bread. The morels were pan fried in butter, salt, and pepper while camping in Oregon as a kid. I've also had them in Germany in a cream sauce with rabbit. The mushrooms were good but I didn't care for the rabbit. I've never had beluga caviar or real truffles…one day maybe…one day.
You lucky... I would have taken the choice of mettwurst over straight up Mett any day

Old 05-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #15
JayDubWill
Find me on Untapped: Jay Will
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 34

So I just discovered that buluga sturgeon are actually pretty endangered so I should probably change my answer to just cavier. The American black cavier sounds interesting.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:42 PM   #16
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1668 Times on 1166 Posts
Likes Given: 2844

I like caviar. I also like tobiko, flying fish roe, as well as its common substitute at sushi joints, smelt roe. Black caviar is definitely stronger in flavor. If you have never had fish eggs of any sort, Id suggest heading to a sushi restaurant and getting a piece of tobiko sushi.

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Cathedral Likes This 
Old 05-07-2013, 08:27 PM   #17
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

You know, I didn't think that I'm really that adventurous but I really can't think of anything common that I haven't tried.

There was a thing on facebook a while back about "how many of these 100 foods have you had?" or something like that and I had tried all but a few of them.

Things like morels are common here (morel risotto is a specialty of a good friend's) but it's hard to get other rare foods here. We're landlocked, and mostly white Scandinavians so you don't see sushi, other Asian foods, fresh seafood or oysters, etc, around here.

Of course, it's easy to get lutefisk, if I was so inclined.

Since I've traveled alot in my life, I've had a chance to try most things I've heard of.

Not a fan of Haggis or menudo, but I will eat both dishes if that is what my host has made.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #18
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1668 Times on 1166 Posts
Likes Given: 2844

Yoop, maybe I'm erroneously attributing things to the UP I have seen elsewhere in Michigan, but how do you feel about the polish sausage culture in the polish and german neighborhoods? Some of the best (and most exotic) sausages I have had were in Roger City.

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 05-07-2013, 08:44 PM   #19
Cider123
Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've always wanted to try Kobe beef.

I like beer

Old 05-07-2013, 08:59 PM   #20
Red_Scooter
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'm curious about Durian. Kobe beef is good, but expensive, and I'm not sure it's worth the expense. But, i think i can make most steaks taste good.

Quick Reply