Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Official Hot Sauce Making Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2009, 01:44 AM   #11
imaguitargod
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WriterWriter View Post
Question: can these sauces marinate in a jar/container in a warm environment or should they be refrigerated?
It depends on a few factors but mainly 2. Did you cook it and if so was the pH around 4? 4 is considered your safe zone where nothing really grows in it and cooking it helps to kill what's already in there.

Other factors are ingredients. Did you use vinegar (that also extends shelf and 98% of sauces have a decent amount in there), is there fruit (primarly fruit based sauces have a slightly shorter shelf life).

When it comes to home made sauces, as a rule I always refridgerate when they haven't been opened yet. Professional store baught sauces can sit on the shelf if still sealed. But in both cases, you should always refriderate after opening. Plus I've found that colder sauces have a better taste.

Brewer for Hoppin' Frog Brewery.
"I am not an alcoholic, I’m a drunk. An alcoholic means that I have a problem and when I drink all my problems go away."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2009, 10:33 AM   #12
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Any suggestions for a good jalapeno hot sauce? I tend to slather sauces onto stuff, and I find jalapeno sauce has the perfect spicy/flavor combo. I lurve that stuff Tabasco puts out, but I'd love to make it in bulk for cheaper.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Old 04-15-2009, 04:37 PM   #13
yermej
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Has anybody played with a pepper mash as in a Tabasco style sauce? I've done a little research, but mostly just found other people playing with ideas. Some have used yeast, others take a more sauerkraut-ish approach with lactic acid bacteria - even using sauerkraut juice as a starter of sorts. This lets them get the acidity needed without adding vinegar - they claim the lactic acid gives it a smoother flavor.

I know it's possible to buy pepper mash, but that takes some of the fun out of it.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:45 PM   #14
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 11

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f56/hot-...-sauce-109214/

That's a good discussion. I am hoping to make hot sauce for the first time this summer.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:39 PM   #15
jgln
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaguitargod View Post
It depends on a few factors but mainly 2. Did you cook it and if so was the pH around 4? 4 is considered your safe zone where nothing really grows in it and cooking it helps to kill what's already in there.

Other factors are ingredients. Did you use vinegar (that also extends shelf and 98% of sauces have a decent amount in there), is there fruit (primarly fruit based sauces have a slightly shorter shelf life).

When it comes to home made sauces, as a rule I always refridgerate when they haven't been opened yet. Professional store baught sauces can sit on the shelf if still sealed. But in both cases, you should always refriderate after opening. Plus I've found that colder sauces have a better taste.
After I am done cooking it to a boil I immediately can it and then add again to boiling water bath to make sure they get/stay hot enough to seal properly and then store in the basement. I have never had any spoilage or gotten sick and have aged them there for years at a time.
Most sauces I make are pure peppers sauces, just hot peppers; vinegar and salt, but sometimes add onion, garlic, maybe carrots, whatever, but for the most part we just like pure pepper.
I have made a green jalapeno sauce using unripe peppers and a red jalapeno using ripe peppers, there is a different taste to me but both good.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:11 PM   #16
imaguitargod
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTOJ View Post
Any suggestions for a good jalapeno hot sauce? I tend to slather sauces onto stuff, and I find jalapeno sauce has the perfect spicy/flavor combo. I lurve that stuff Tabasco puts out, but I'd love to make it in bulk for cheaper.
Keep in mind green Jalapenos are unripened and they taste a heck of alot better when ripened (sweeter and hotter).

For a green Jalapeno sauce Just use the recipe I posted previously, take out the beer, add more tiquila, and use about 10-12 Jalapenos.

Brewer for Hoppin' Frog Brewery.
"I am not an alcoholic, I’m a drunk. An alcoholic means that I have a problem and when I drink all my problems go away."

Old 04-15-2009, 06:51 PM   #17
jgln
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaguitargod View Post
Keep in mind green Jalapenos are unripened and they taste a heck of alot better when ripened (sweeter and hotter).

For a green Jalapeno sauce Just use the recipe I posted previously, take out the beer, add more tiquila, and use about 10-12 Jalapenos.
I went back and re-read you process and it seems you strain nothing or are you just leaving out what would maybe be obvious? Doesn't it come out more like a salsa then a sauce?
In another thread I explained in great detail my process and my goal is to get a consistency of the stuff you buy in shaker bottles like Tabasco, but I also make it thicker for wing sauce but still strain out everything. Not saying I haven’t made stuff like you describe for putting on tacos and stuff but I wouldn't call it a sauce.

Of course I am not being a critic, I just love discussing this topic and learning from others. I grow all my hot peppers too and most all from seed.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:01 PM   #18
Brewkowski
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

So how about something like a homemade HopSauce? Maybe a nice American Hops with lime, cilantro, and jalapenos?

Old 04-15-2009, 07:19 PM   #19
jgln
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hophead75 View Post
So how about something like a homemade HopSauce? Maybe a nice American Hops with lime, cilantro, and jalapenos?
Not me but I am sure some people might like it.

1) Don't like cilantro
2) Don't like highly hoppped beer

Fresh cilantro to me is like putting mint on my food, don't like it. I love mexican food though but once in a while I order something that has it and if possible I will pick it off.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:31 PM   #20
Big10Seaner
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hophead75 View Post
Have you ever actually put a hop in your mouth? It will make your tongue numb.

End of the Line Brewing
Primary: Caramel Cider
Secondary: Bourbon Vanilla Porter
On tap: Some Sort of IPA, Cherry Cider
Bottled: Belgian Sour (1st place winner Binny's Chicago Comp)

Quick Reply