The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Official Hot Sauce Making Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2011, 05:23 AM   #111
jgln
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just made about 2 gallons worth first picking, already got enough for second batch. I just do salt, vinegar and remove seeds and skins after cooking and blending then jar. Will last us through winter and to next summer by the time I am done in the fall. basically our wing sauce supply.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2011, 06:16 AM   #112
madbaldman
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

About 90% of what I grow are datils. Hands down my favorite chili - very unique flavor. It's heat level is just a bit below a habenaro and that's fine with me. You guys keep your bhuts and naga vipers - you're better men than me. I love Carribean style hot sauces. Here's a clone for Lottie's Bajan hot sauce as I found it on the net:

12 md Habaneros, stemmed, seeded
2 lg Cayenne peppers, stemmed, seeded
1 15 oz can sliced Mango, drained
1 c Cheap Yellow mustard
1/4 c Brown sugar, packed
5 tb White vinegar
1 tb Curry powder
2 ts Cumin
1 tb Chili powder
1 ts Salt, or to taste
1 ts Fresh ground black pepper

I use fresh mangoes instead of canned and use datils in place of the other peppers.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:22 AM   #113
jgln
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbaldman View Post
About 90% of what I grow are datils. Hands down my favorite chili - very unique flavor. It's heat level is just a bit below a habenaro and that's fine with me. You guys keep your bhuts and naga vipers - you're better men than me. I love Carribean style hot sauces. Here's a clone for Lottie's Bajan hot sauce as I found it on the net:

12 md Habaneros, stemmed, seeded
2 lg Cayenne peppers, stemmed, seeded
1 15 oz can sliced Mango, drained
1 c Cheap Yellow mustard
1/4 c Brown sugar, packed
5 tb White vinegar
1 tb Curry powder
2 ts Cumin
1 tb Chili powder
1 ts Salt, or to taste
1 ts Fresh ground black pepper

I use fresh mangoes instead of canned and use datils in place of the other peppers.
I see you add yellow mustard..well I took these yellow cayenne peppers and add made sauce then added it to yellow mustard for a super spicy yellow mustard, very good, especially on a hot sausage on a good hard roll.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:24 AM   #114
jgln
Recipes 

I have added other stuff to my sauce in the past, but now I like it pretty basic, just peppers, vinegar and salt.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:29 PM   #115
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4576 Times on 4482 Posts
Likes Given: 1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgln View Post
Have you tried letting them really ripen on the plant to where they get deep red and soft especially in the fall? Adds another dimension to the flavor. I stumbled across that when I was to busy to pick and do something with them and when I did they were on the plant for a while. They were beginning to wrinkle and dry out but still soft and not rotting to my surprise. Best tasting sauce I made so far. Try it. Of course I will pick them throughout the summer but once I got some sauce in stock I let the rest sit since any new flowers won't have time to mature that late in the year anyway.
That's what I did last year. I basically used everything I had "left" at the end of the season (some were wrinkly as you noted) and made the sauce from that. It was mostly jalapeno, serrano, partially ripe habanero, and some hot cherry peppers (maybe some others I don't recall off the top of my heat).

The sauce is deeply flavored and is well balanced with a deep sweet flavor offsetting a mildly hot pepper background. Tons of flavor but not overly spicy. Very good general purpose sauce. I don't have much to compare it against. I think this may be similar to ice wine. The sugars and flavors are very concentrated and provide a deeper range of flavor. Be curious if some more experienced folks tried it and came to a similar conclusion.

Mmm, hot and wet beef.-marubozo

Get rich or get sandy trying...-AZ_IPA

Old 08-04-2011, 07:35 PM   #116
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4576 Times on 4482 Posts
Likes Given: 1966

Quote:
If you are asking me I do, I don't want seeds and skins in my sauce, that is about all that gets strained out the rest winds up in the sauce. I am not saying I never did leave it unstrained or never will I just prefer to get the seeds and skins out most of the time. Blending? Of course, what goes in the jar or bottle is the finished product less aging.
I left the seeds and skins in the sauce during aging (in vinegar) and then strain it before bottling. Works well and results should be similar.

I am going to try fermenting at least one batch this year with a culture from homemade sauerkraut.

Mmm, hot and wet beef.-marubozo

Get rich or get sandy trying...-AZ_IPA

Old 08-04-2011, 10:46 PM   #117
madbaldman
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
I see you add yellow mustard..well I took these yellow cayenne peppers and add made sauce then added it to yellow mustard for a super spicy yellow mustard, very good, especially on a hot sausage on a good hard roll.
I did something like that myself. I added datils and some dill to plain yellow mustard. Dynamite on sausage. I need to make some more.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:18 AM   #118
usfmikeb
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 200 Posts

I make a jerk mustard sauce with jolokias, awesome on burgers, fries, chicken tenders, etc.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:35 AM   #119
jgln
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
That's what I did last year. I basically used everything I had "left" at the end of the season (some were wrinkly as you noted) and made the sauce from that. It was mostly jalapeno, serrano, partially ripe habanero, and some hot cherry peppers (maybe some others I don't recall off the top of my heat).

The sauce is deeply flavored and is well balanced with a deep sweet flavor offsetting a mildly hot pepper background. Tons of flavor but not overly spicy. Very good general purpose sauce. I don't have much to compare it against. I think this may be similar to ice wine. The sugars and flavors are very concentrated and provide a deeper range of flavor. Be curious if some more experienced folks tried it and came to a similar conclusion.
Yeah, a hint of sweetness and I think the sugar makes the sauce very rich in "texture", kind of like a barbeque sauce but not as sweet. It is a different sweetness too, not cane sugar sweet.

I also found out by my procrastination that peppers in a bag not completely ripe will ripen, in this case while in with other completely ripe peppers. Kind of like how tomatoes will with an apple in the bag. I also found the fully ripened ones got even riper much like the ones left late on the plant. They got deep red and soft. Cool, I don't have to wait so long to intensify the flavor.

This time of year I work, come home and make tomato or peppers sauce, go to bed and repeat. I call it my second job at the processing plant.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:48 AM   #120
jgln
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post

Did you do that on purpose or was it because you had heat in your head/heat

Quick Reply