Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Offal ideas [recipes and experience's with animal offal]

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2012, 05:48 AM   #11
AndrewD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Liver pate is fantastic. They just banned foie grois here in the People's Republic of California. Alaska looks better every day.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 05:52 AM   #12
basilchef
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewD
Liver pate is fantastic. They just banned foie grois here in the People's Republic of California. Alaska looks better every day.
What!? Why?! Thats atrocious...

Old 10-24-2012, 06:00 AM   #13
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 758 Times on 531 Posts
Likes Given: 1999

While I have a tough time with most offal, I do love the heart: beef, pork, deer, chicken, turkey...
I never met a heart I didn't want to chew on.

I like to stir-fry beef heart, about 1.5lbs, (cut into roughly 3"x1/2" strips) with dark sesame oil, about 1/4 cup of fresh sliced ginger (matchstick sized), a couple cloves of minced garlic, 1 red Fresno chile (sliced matchstick size), 1/2 a handful of chopped fresh cilantro, 1 SWEET yellow onion (vidalia is the best IMHO), 1 tablespoon dried SWEET basil (crushed), if it doesn't say "sweet" on the label, it ain't.

After you've stir-fried the heart & other ingredients for a couple minutes, add a couple dashes (about 1/8 teaspoon) of ground nutmeg, 4 tablespoons soysauce & continue to stirfry (keep it moving at high heat) until the soy sauce starts to caramelize. Remove from heat & serve over rice with assorted favourite veggies. I usually do a stir-fried purple cabbage with tarragon & green onions and ginger glazed baby carrots (use plenty of real butter with the carrots). Sometimes I'll drizzle a little honey over it just before serving, though I'm thinking that a little LME might really work well in place of the honey, I haven't tried the LME yet, I just now thought of it.

It might sound a little odd, but I think it's pretty darned tasty, maybe ypou will too.
BTW Basilchef, what is the bread loaf looking thing on the right hand side of the pic, 1/2 on the top of the right hand cutting board? It looks quite tasty.
Regards, GF.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:15 AM   #14
Stout-n-Braggot
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Norman style stewed tripe/feet is good with a nice dry cidre, as is Andouillette sausage, and Andouille for that matter (I mean the real thing, made with intestines and stomach, not the cajun version which is little more than spiced ground pork). Any liver paté is good with medium to heavy bodied beers. So far the only offal dish I didn't care for was beef kidney, I'm wondering how much good St Emilion I would need to be able to like that one...
I enjoy frying up the occasional rabbit liver, or stir fry of chicken hearts and livers. My absolute favorite is duck Foie Gras with a 10 year old Bonnezeaux (best sweet white wine ever, beating out both Gewurztraminer and Sauternes)
I'm hoping to make some deer or pronghorn paté in the future to pair with a rye brown ale recipe i've been messing around with.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:22 AM   #15
gratus fermentatio
Recipes 

Liked 758 Times on 531 Posts
Likes Given: 1999

I'd like to try some traditional Norse/Germanic blood sausage (blutwurst) recipes, but it's tough to find blood sausage in MT. Though I remember some oldtimers in Indiana that used to make a sort of blood pudding that also had persimmons in it. It's been 40 years since I was back that way, but I remember the blood pudding tasted pretty good. I on;ly had it once though, but if an 8 year old kid liked it, it was probably tasty.
Regards, GF.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:56 AM   #16
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1713 Times on 1601 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilchef

What!? Why?! Thats atrocious...
Ethical concerns regarding how ducks and geese are raised for foie gras. Literally translating from French to "fatty liver", in order to get the livers fatty and enlarged (up to ten times the size) they are force-fed for the few weeks before slaughter by shoving a pipe down their throat and pumping the feed straight into their stomach. The practice is bad for the health of the bird and is considered inhumane by many.

I got into hunting recently, but the only way I could get over the idea of killing animals was the fact that quickly killing a deer (or whatever) in the wild is without a doubt far more humane and ethical than modern factory farming practices. And it's hard for me to justify it that way if I support the absolute worst of these practices, so "real" foie gras just isn't for me, though I'm not about to get judgmental on those who just don't care. A duck killed at the right time - as it prepares for migration - is going to have a pretty fatty liver anyways (albeit not as fatty as force fed birds), and that's good enough for me.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:04 AM   #17
dinnerstick
Recipes 

Liked 223 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 22

was in bergerac last year, got an amazing semi-sweet montbazillac from a small vineyard that we randomly stopped off at, and foie gras from the farm two doors down.... made up some fig red onion balsamic vinegar chutney.... holy schnit

Old 10-25-2012, 06:51 PM   #18
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1607 Times on 1133 Posts
Likes Given: 2652

In your opinions, does oxtail count as offal?

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 10-25-2012, 10:47 PM   #19
Subsailor
Life is Tough, Stupid makes it Tougher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 502 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 3701

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewD View Post
Too many Californicans up here now!
Seriously, we have good moose and caribou liver, heart, tongue and nose. I don't remember eating moose brains, they're so small anyway. I mean how big a brain do you need to sneak up on vegetables? I also enjoy the offal from the hares and birds we get.
I have discovered fish hearts and livers after watching Andrew Zimmern Bizarre Foods show.
SSBN 641 B
porcupine73 Likes This 
Old 10-26-2012, 01:25 AM   #20
porcupine73
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Hm ... I think oxtail would not count as offal, because it's not an organ or gland ... but, I will say, I always buy as much as my farmer can provide, because it imho is a critical ingredient in making a tasty bone broth ...

Quick Reply