Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > No knead, slow rise bread. (with video)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2010, 04:43 PM   #201
pen25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

for anyone looking for a dutch over and if you have a sports academy near it was the cheapest place i could find. but i have also used stainless steal bowls and just used aluminum foil for the cover.

from or living in oklahoma? come join us in the oklahoma group

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2010, 03:32 AM   #202
stever
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

OK so they didn't rise like I expected but I think that is because I screwed up and had the seam side down. When I bake sandwich loaves I slice the tops so that some of the gas can escape and I think that helps them rise. Overall they turned out great but I did make a modification to the temp on my second loaf because the first loaf came out so crispy that my wife and kids didn't care for it. First loaf was at 500 for 30 minutes with another 5 minutes with the lid off. Second batch cooked at 450 for 30 minutes with the lid on and that was it. It is the better of the two but I think I would maybe give it 5-10 minutes with the lid off to give it a little more crispy crust. I will say the crust is like nothing I have ever baked before and I have made 40 or more loaves of homemade bread, just never in a dutch oven.

The taste is fantastic and I just mixed up a batch of all white that will be ready to bake tomorrow.

Also if anyone here makes this bread and is using it for sandwiches then slice it up after it's cooled, put it in a ziplock and freeze. When you are ready to make a sandwich, take out a couple slices and thaw or toast. If there is one thing I have learned from baking bread is that this stuff will go stale almost immediately and never taste close to the same unless you freeze it immediately.

Both loaves, left side is the higher temp loaf

Cell structure of higher temp loaf

lower temp loaf

Cell structure of second loaf

"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVKTR2 View Post
Can't believe I'm saying this, but Great Cock man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel View Post
yeah, i've got big balls

Old 01-05-2011, 04:39 AM   #203
MeadWitch
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Dutch ovens are wonderful, aren't they? I have an old cast iron dutch oven with a bailwire type of handle. I have learned from experience that the bail will flip back and get you if you are not careful. I taught my daughter to make this bread about 1 month or so ago and she did an awesome job. First time I ever got branded by the bail handle though. Hot bread with butter, great crust...........life was good!

Tertiary: Sweet Dried Cherry/Vanilla Mead, Prickly Pear Mead, Jalapeno-Peach Sweet Mead

Bottled: Huajillo Honey Mead - 4 bottles only, first ever mead, Light Draft Style Cider, Raspberry Mead, Hibiscus Mead, JAOM, Peach Melba Mead, Limoncello, Kahlua, Spiced Winter Cider, Orange/Vanilla Mead

Quick Reply