The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > No knead, slow rise bread. (with video)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2008, 05:20 PM   #1
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Default No knead, slow rise bread. (with video)

I heard this on the radio today, and did some digging. I plan on doing this over the weekend.

Quote:
Recipe: No-Knead Bread
Adapted from Jim Lahey, Sullivan Street Bakery
Time: About 1½ hours plus 14 to 20 hours’ rising

3 cups all-purpose or bread flour, more for dusting
¼ teaspoon instant yeast
1¼ teaspoons salt
Cornmeal or wheat bran as needed.

1. In a large bowl combine flour, yeast and salt. Add 1 5/8 cups water, and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy and sticky. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rest at least 12 hours, preferably about 18, at warm room temperature, about 70 degrees.

2. Dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles. Lightly flour a work surface and place dough on it; sprinkle it with a little more flour and fold it over on itself once or twice. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest about 15 minutes.

3. Using just enough flour to keep dough from sticking to work surface or to your fingers, gently and quickly shape dough into a ball. Generously coat a cotton towel (not terry cloth) with flour, wheat bran or cornmeal; put dough seam side down on towel and dust with more flour, bran or cornmeal. Cover with another cotton towel and let rise for about 2 hours. When it is ready, dough will be more than double in size and will not readily spring back when poked with a finger.

4. At least a half-hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 450 degrees. Put a 6- to 8-quart heavy covered pot (cast iron, enamel, Pyrex or ceramic) in oven as it heats. When dough is ready, carefully remove pot from oven. Slide your hand under towel and turn dough over into pot, seam side up; it may look like a mess, but that is O.K. Shake pan once or twice if dough is unevenly distributed; it will straighten out as it bakes. Cover with lid and bake 30 minutes, then remove lid and bake another 15 to 30 minutes, until loaf is beautifully browned. Cool on a rack.

Yield: One 1½-pound loaf.
[youtube]13Ah9ES2yTU[/youtube]

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2008, 05:40 PM   #2
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 83

I just sliced my Fresh Rosemary/Cheddar Cheese bread I make using that recipe. Yummy

It's so easy to make and add whatever you want to it.
Just to give you some ideas
White Chocolate/ Dried Apricots
White Chocolate/ Candied Pineapple
Milk Chocolate/ Hazelnut
Jalepeno/ Cheddar
Blend of Asiago/Provolone/Parmesian/
Roasted Garlic/ Rosemary or Cheese

Have fun and enjoy

Old 08-26-2008, 05:53 PM   #3
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by niquejim View Post
I just sliced my Fresh Rosemary/Cheddar Cheese bread I make using that recipe. Yummy

It's so easy to make and add whatever you want to it.
Just to give you some ideas
White Chocolate/ Dried Apricots
White Chocolate/ Candied Pineapple
Milk Chocolate/ Hazelnut
Jalepeno/ Cheddar
Blend of Asiago/Provolone/Parmesian/
Roasted Garlic/ Rosemary or Cheese

Have fun and enjoy
*DROOOOOLLLLLL*

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-26-2008, 07:14 PM   #4
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery

Recipes 

Forgot to add that those extras are added during the first mix

Old 08-26-2008, 07:52 PM   #5
farmbrewernw
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Damn I need to go buy a cast iron pot so I can try that!!

I'm working as a pro now, but that doesn't mean I'm not still homebrewing. I'm going to see if I can homebrew at work as a way to develop new recipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgrafi
wow, tha more I drink, tha more cohernet you all are!
and stufffff.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:30 PM   #6
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmbrewernw View Post
Damn I need to go buy a cast iron pot so I can try that!!

You won't reget it,

and you'll never want to buy sliced bread again

Old 08-26-2008, 11:32 PM   #7
Danek
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Wow! I'm impressed by that. Thanks for sharing, Revvy - I'm going to give that a go right now...

[EDIT] That was a piece of piss - the dough's done. If I hadn't had to work out how many grams and millilitres there are in a cup, it would have taken maybe a minute from start to finish. And that's tomorrow evening's dinner sorted.

Last edited by Danek; 08-26-2008 at 11:49 PM.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:14 AM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danek View Post
Wow! I'm impressed by that. Thanks for sharing, Revvy - I'm going to give that a go right now...

[EDIT] That was a piece of piss - the dough's done. If I hadn't had to work out how many grams and millilitres there are in a cup, it would have taken maybe a minute from start to finish. And that's tomorrow evening's dinner sorted.
You know, Google is great for quick conversions... you just type in an equation and you'll get the answer... for example

".25 cups=? milliliters" give me this answer; ".25 US cups = 59.1470591 milliliters"

Old 08-27-2008, 09:29 AM   #9
Danek
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
You know, Google is great for quick conversions... you just type in an equation and you'll get the answer... for example

".25 cups=? milliliters" give me this answer; ".25 US cups = 59.1470591 milliliters"
Ah, that looks a far quicker way of doing it than my shambolic approach. I couldn't figure out how to tell Google whether I wanted cups to be converted to weight or to volume. Now I know.

Having sat overnight, the dough looks ready to go now - it has risen nicely, and is dotted with little bubbles. I'm going to give it another eight hours and bake it this evening.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:17 PM   #10
Danek
Recipes 

I baked the bread last night and I'm eating some now with a ripe brie. I have to say, I'm impressed - the crust is terrific, and the bread has a fantastically airy structure. And it was SO ridiculously easy to make. This would be a really easy way to impress someone.

The only criticism from me is that the dough I ended up with was a little too liquid, to the point that it couldn't be folded. I had to add extra flour at the end to make it manageable, and by doing that I lost a little of the aeration from the 18-hour waiting period. Next time I'll add a little less liquid.

But still, the easiness-to-awesomeness ratio on this recipe is off the charts. Thanks again for sharing, Revvy!

Quick Reply