Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > New Orleans Style BBQ Shrimp a la Deanie's?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2009, 05:27 PM   #1
SpanishCastleAle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Default New Orleans Style BBQ Shrimp a la Deanie's?

Last night I was watching Man vs. Food and he went to a place in New Orleans called Deanie's for their famous BBQ shrimp. They're not really 'BBQ' in the classic sense of the word, that's just what they call them. Here's a couple of links to recipes that look similar based on what I saw. Deanie's just uses a compound butter and obv don't let anyone know what's in it. Deanie's also def has green onions in theirs (both in-sauce and on top as garnish). If you're scared of butter these aren't for you! I'm stoppin' by the fresh seafood market for some jumbo prawns for this...heads-on of course.
NO-style BBQ Shrimp Version I
NO-style BBQ Shrimp Version II...this one has beer in it
I do question the second recipe though, it says to cook the shrimp and then add the beer to deglaze and then reduce by half, then add the 'thickening' butter. That looks like a sure-fire way to overcook the shrimp.

Anybody here an ole pro at NO-style BBQ shrimp? Anybody have a clone recipe for Deanie's version?

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Last edited by SpanishCastleAle; 07-02-2009 at 05:33 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2009, 05:55 PM   #2
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Oh man, N.O.-style BBQ shrimp is great. I have had them at Mr. B's Bistro (the first link there), and I think that is a pretty classic recipe. If you are going to make it with beer, you need to use Abita Amber and serve with the same.

I do not make these at home or eat them often simply b/c that much butter will take a few years off your life, but they are damn good.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:40 PM   #3
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Thanks Beerrific.

Quote:
I do not make these at home or eat them often simply b/c that much butter will take a few years off your life, but they are damn good.
Yea, but those years come off the end.

Glad to hear the Mr. B's recipe is good. I'll try it (with added scallions) first.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 07-02-2009, 08:21 PM   #4
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
Thanks Beerrific.

Yea, but those years come off the end.

Glad to hear the Mr. B's recipe is good. I'll try it (with added scallions) first.
Not only that, but let me just say that if it weren't for his lack of butter, Michael Jackson would still be alive. I am going to eat butter and live life to the fullest. Those recipes both look delicious to me.

Quick Reply