Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Need help with chicken pot pie!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2013, 07:16 PM   #11
Rhumbline
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 200 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Oh, that might work even better for me than the traditional two-crust pot pie. I can make it in advance, and throw the biscuit crust together when it's time to bake.
There is one thing in the recipe that I think is a mistake. When I make it now I make sure the filling is bubbling hot before I put the biscuit topping on.

When I made it the way it's described, the tops of the biscuits were done nicely, but the bottoms were a gooey, doughy mess.

With the filling piping hot, it cooks from both top and bottom.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:42 PM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4908 Times on 3560 Posts
Likes Given: 988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkwooder View Post
Yooper,

I make a kick a$$ pot pie. I use the recipe from The Joy of Cooking for the crust. It can't be beat!

2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortning
1 stick butter
1/3 cup ice water

My wife and I have a hobby farm where we raise Chickens and turkeys. It is just the two of us at home now and when we roast a bird for a meal, there is always a ton of leftovers, so we often use them to make pot pies for the freezer.

I can't help you with a recipe for the filling as I never use one, but I would suggest that you use some broccolli in them, as it always seems to be a hit at our house. If you freeze them you might want to shy away from using potatoes as they tend to get a little grainy after freezing. Also, if you really want "great" chicken flavor, find a local farmer that will sell you a chicken that is an egg laying breed. I use them to make a stock and then add some regular super market chicken for the meat ( the egg layers are a firmer meat, some even say tougher). The egg layer breeds take much longer to get to butcher size than do the meat types, and because of that, have a more intense "chicken" flavor.

We always make the pot pies in Corell soup bowls and put them in the freezer. Any Pyrex type dish works though. After they freeze we even take them out of the bowls, and bag them, and then put them back in the freezer so we can have the bowls back in the cupboard. They tend to stay frozen for a long time, if left on the counter to thaw, and would likely stay nearly frozen solid if properly packed in a cooler, for a day or more. They tend to come out better when cooked from frozen, rather than thawed first. Just be sure to put them back in the bowl before baking, and spray the bowl liberly with cooking spray, they tend to stick like glue!

Now I'm torn! I love the recipe for that crust.

We get our chickens (meat chickens, not layers) from a friend. We don't really have a choice as to what kind they are- she doesn't slaughter her layers, ever. (Weird, but true).

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2013, 11:37 PM   #13
Melana
Up to no good....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1497 Times on 900 Posts
Likes Given: 953

Tip. If you wish for a super flaky melt in your mouth crust that will impress all.... Substitute half of the water in the recipe with vodka.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:52 AM   #14
TheDudeLebowski
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I love chicken pot pies made with pie crusts. Almost a no compromise on any other kind of crust. I trust most recipes made by America's Test Kitchen as great.

If you get a chance to watch their video of Chicken Pot Pie with Savory Crust watch it. This one is kind of a casserole dish with crumbled pie crust (don't worry the pepper won't kill the swedes). Casserole dishes might not be quite gourmet but it was goooood.

You do have gourmet Umami and savory with the tomato paste and soy sauce. Crust is made with butter (pictures don't make it look as good as it is) and has mushrooms in it. I also added extra veggies.

You could probably reheat the filling up there and then toss the savory crust on top and throw it in the oven.

http://foodfolksandfun.net/2011/02/c...avory-crumble/

Old 09-30-2013, 01:29 AM   #15
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melana View Post
Tip. If you wish for a super flaky melt in your mouth crust that will impress all.... Substitute half of the water in the recipe with vodka.
I've never heard that before. Awesome! I will try that for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeLebowski View Post
I love chicken pot pies made with pie crusts. Almost a no compromise on any other kind of crust. I trust most recipes made by America's Test Kitchen as great.

If you get a chance to watch their video of Chicken Pot Pie with Savory Crust watch it. This one is kind of a casserole dish with crumbled pie crust (don't worry the pepper won't kill the swedes). Casserole dishes might not be quite gourmet but it was goooood.

You do have gourmet Umami and savory with the tomato paste and soy sauce. Crust is made with butter (pictures don't make it look as good as it is) and has mushrooms in it. I also added extra veggies.

You could probably reheat the filling up there and then toss the savory crust on top and throw it in the oven.

http://foodfolksandfun.net/2011/02/c...avory-crumble/
That looks great, too! Oh, geez, this is not helping me here!

Old 09-30-2013, 02:11 AM   #16
Glynn
Brewing 20 yrs & still a noob
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Yooper. Ive been cooking professionally 30 yrs and camp a lot. Go with rhumbline. place your pre-made hot mixture in a baking dish and top it with a simple crust or biscuit and brown it in a camp stove. Just make sure the thickness of the hot filling is at the consistency you want it. I can see you all now sitting around a campfire on a cool night with steaming bowls and a homebrew. God I wish I was there.

Good people drink good beer - Hunter S. Thompson
Duct tape. The handyman's secret weapon - Red Green

Naughty Kitty Brewing EST 1993
Primary 1 - Saison
Primary 2 - Centennial IPA
Primary 3 -
Secondary 1 -
Secondary 2 -
Bottled - Nogginfogger DIPA, Feral Red Ale

Old 09-30-2013, 02:23 AM   #17
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glynn View Post
Yooper. Ive been cooking professionally 30 yrs and camp a lot. Go with rhumbline. place your pre-made hot mixture in a baking dish and top it with a simple crust or biscuit and brown it in a camp stove. Just make sure the thickness of the hot filling is at the consistency you want it. I can see you all now sitting around a campfire on a cool night with steaming bowls and a homebrew. God I wish I was there.
Well, while his camp is rustic, he has 3000 acres and it's quite a nice camp! There is a nice propane stove and oven, a well for running water, and a big enough generator to power the lights and things we need, etc, so we won't be sitting outside at all.

It's his annual "bird camp", which involves gourmet meals (except for the Thursday night dinner, when I bring something in that is quick and hearty), great wine, big fires in the great big stone fireplace, and some grouse hunting.

We normally have 5 courses for the dinners, with accompanying wine, dinner music (via my Ipod and his stereo) and later coffee and cognac. It's not exactly "roughing it"!

Oh, wait- we do rough it in one way! I bring a "redneck kegerator". It's set up in an igloo cooler, and outside on the front enclosed porch. Two picnic taps, attached with zipties to a lattice for easy dispensing. Plus- I'm only bringing two kegs.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:24 AM   #18
smccarter
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Cool to around 68 degrees, pitch 200 billion yeast cells, and ferment. You should be okay.

Old 09-30-2013, 01:51 PM   #19
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2426 Times on 1713 Posts
Likes Given: 1376

This thread is full of win.

Chicken Pot Pie is near the very top of my favorite food list. I think I may have to try a few of these suggestions out myself.

Homer's Brew Log

Old 09-30-2013, 01:57 PM   #20
Melana
Up to no good....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1497 Times on 900 Posts
Likes Given: 953

This is usually my base and I add to it from there...
Stew
6 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (about 2 1/2 pounds), trimmed of excess fat (see note)
Table salt and ground black pepper
2teaspoons vegetable oil
2 small onions, chopped fine (about 1 1/2 cups)
2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
1 celery rib, medium, chopped fine (about 1/2 cup)
1/4cup dry sherry
6cups low-sodium chicken broth
1teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves
1pound chicken wings (see note)
1/4cup chopped fresh parsley leaves

Quick Reply