Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Msg

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2011, 07:29 PM   #11
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Hey, how about we just tone down the rhetoric and ad hominem in this thread?

This whole thing started when YOU, Baron, ended your post with this disparaging remark:

Quote:
It causes a chemical reaction in your brain that makes you think the food tastes better. If you can't cook worth a crap, go ahead and add it, at least your brain will think you can cook well when you eat it.
I cannot think of a better troll. I mean, really spectacular job. You manage to deride anyone who has ever cooked with MSG while spreading disinformation. What did you think was going to happen after you did that? Everyone in the thread would send you roses and congratulate you on your witty and insightful commentary?

Don't come in here crying that people have responded in kind.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:51 PM   #12
Baron ken
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by voldermort View Post
What are your thoughts on cooking with MSG?
My first reply was to voldermort who asked for thoughts on cooking with MSG.
You may call it trolling, but the question by the OP was quite open.
You turned a comment to him/her into '...deride anyone...'? I did not say that people who cook with MSG cook like crap, I said that if you do cook like crap, then adding MSG will make you think your food tastes better. That apparently led to all the experts on allergies coming out the woodwork.

As Wetfoot pointed out: Don't substitute it for good culinary technique such as browning, reductions, etc.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2011, 11:16 PM   #13
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron ken View Post
No, it's not a fake allergy. Free glutamate in mushrooms and tomatoes is from a naturally occurring source, unlike manufactured MSG which has very high proportion of the 'flavor-enhancing' glutamate (i.e processed free glutamic acid) that in some individuals can cause reactions.

If you are actually interested (from the tone of your post, I'll guess you aren't), you can find more information about hidden sources of MSG here.

My favorite is when people think they know whether another person has an allergy or not. Hmm, actually, it's not my favorite, it's kinda rude.

"You aren't a celiac, drink that wheat beer and quit whining!"
Oops, I poked the bear. Seems like a pretty sensitive bear. Please, continue to take seriously everything you read on the internet.

Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 08-22-2011, 11:31 PM   #14
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2998 Times on 2952 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Ok guys, can we tone this argument down a little? Probably something better suited for the debate forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 08-23-2011, 01:33 AM   #15
Baron ken
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno_eNVy View Post
Oops, I poked the bear. Seems like a pretty sensitive bear. Please, continue to take seriously everything you read on the internet.
A fake, sensitive bear

Old 08-23-2011, 02:58 PM   #16
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

Liked 193 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron ken View Post
No, it's not a fake allergy. Free glutamate in mushrooms and tomatoes is from a naturally occurring source, unlike manufactured MSG which has very high proportion of the 'flavor-enhancing' glutamate (i.e processed free glutamic acid) that in some individuals can cause reactions.
I have no doubt there are people allergic to glutamic acid. I also have no doubt there are lots of people who claim to be, but aren't. It is possible for these folks that they are allergic to something else, but mistakenly attribute the symptoms to MSG. (I knew a guy who ate out a fair bit and kept saying he often would get food poisoning. Finally in his late 30's he figured out he was just lactose intolerant )

Whether it is from a natural source or manufactured, makes not one iota of difference. Gram for gram, they are the same. Glutamic acid is glutamic acid, no matter the source. Now there may be less in some "natural" food than what is added to some prepared foods, but if you eat more of the "natural" food such that one matches the level of glutamic acid in a prepared food, then the response will be the same. If not, look for something else that might be the problem.

Yes MSG is "manufactured", but it comes from "natural source" Hydrolyze any protein (yeast, plant, whatever) and you'll release some glutamate which can then be purified from the other amino acids that are released. If you add a tenderizer to your meat, you will release some glutamate, just as if you added some MSG to it.
Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Quick Reply