The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Milling Spent Grains into Flour

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2009, 01:54 PM   #1
llenrocs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Milling Spent Grains into Flour

I've been searching the forums for detailed instructions on how to dry and mill spent grains into flour for use in baking bread and have come up empty. I see there are lots of post on using wet spent grains in bread and some guidelines on usage ratios in the beer, but nothing on drying and milling.

I have a heavy duty electric flour mill that I inherited from my grandparents, but I am looking for more info/advice on how to dry & prep the grains.

I plan to place grains in a thin layer on a cookie sheet in the oven at low temperature & check weight every once in a while. When I seen no more change in weight, then I can assume most of the water has evaporated out of the grains and proceed with milling.

I think I can store the milled grains in an airtight container in the fridge until baking day.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Sean C.
Central IL

Daddy's Bubble Drink Brewing

On Tap:Northwest Pale Ale
Bottled: Vanilla Porter
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Bavarian Hefe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2009, 02:24 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Most of us, and if you look in this section you will find the threads on it, don't dry the grain, we use it as "whole grain" in breads.

The problem you will find is long before the spent grain can be dried, lactobacillus will take over and the grain will become slimy and stinky, and useless. That's why we usually put the grain right into the bread, or into a baggie in the freezer.

I can tell you from experience that lacto can form on grain within an hour of it cooling off. And even if you allow the grain to thaw out, you only have a short timeframe in which to get it into a bread and in the oven.

Years ago I dated a woman who raised LLamas and I thought for sure they would love the used grain so I chucked the entire 7 pounds into my freezer for a week. I took it out about an hour before I planning to leave for her place which was about 45 minutes away. Within the approximately 2 hours, when I got to the Llamas it had already turned, and they refused to touch it...in fact they looked upon me with such scorn that they began to make that hissing sound they make before they begin spitting, so my girlfriend suggested I get the heck away from the pen.

It must be really nasty stuff...I know some folks put it out for deer and they seem to like it, but I don't think it is too palatable for humans.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply