Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Meat and butchers.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2008, 03:38 PM   #11
Chris_Dog
Orange whip?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You ever get ground beef from the grocery that is pink on the outside but gray in the middle. I did and here is why...
[YOUTUBE]YVTUIld-pRw[/YOUTUBE]
(Sorry I don't know how the embed them)

mod edit. done it for you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2008, 04:30 PM   #12
AlaskaBrewing
Recipes 

I buy most of my meat from a butcher in Eagle River, Alaska. It takes a 30 min drive but it is worth it. The meat has no hormones and they will cut it to your liking. They don't have any "hanging" meat but they do make fresh brats and other sausages. My favorite is their double smoked sausage. I use it when I make gumbo. They even have several types of bacon (beef and pork).

Old 01-06-2008, 04:41 PM   #13
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Dog
You ever get ground beef from the grocery that is pink on the outside but gray in the middle. I did and here is why...

I can tell you that that is NOT why your ground beef turns brown or gray in the middle. It does this because there is no exposure to oxygen in the middle of the beef. Beef has blood in it, and oxygenated blood is red, while non-oxygenated blood is darker in color. Hold your breath long enough, and you'll turn purple too. Here's an experiment for you: Next time you buy a steak, lay it flat on a counter top or cutting board (take it out of the package first, of course). I guarantee you that after 15 or 20 minutes the up-side will still be bright red while the side that is in contact with the cutting board will be black as the ace of spades. I used to be accused of all kinds of ridiculous things as a meatcutter, like wrapping the old ground beef inside the fresh stuff in order to hide it. We did a lot of stuff I wasn't proud of, but adding false color was never one of them.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 01-06-2008, 04:49 PM   #14
Chris_Dog
Orange whip?

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Bernie you may be right (you would know) however if you do a search you will find the FDA approves of packing meat with several gasses. Carbon monoxide is just one of them. All intended on making meat look (or stay) fresh longer.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:53 PM   #15
talleymonster

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 7 Posts

Somebody mentioned Wal-Mart above.

One time I went and bought some London Broil. I asked the guy behind the counter if he would slice it for me because I wanted to make some Beef Jerky. He told me that he could not do it for me. I asked him "why?" and he said that Wal-Mart doesn't have butchers. They used to, but then the butchers wanted to go Union so Wal-Mart just got rid of them. (this is all what the guy told me)
Being a Union Carpenter, that decided it for me. I dropped the meat on the counter and walked away.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:38 PM   #16
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Dog
Bernie you may be right (you would know) however if you do a search you will find the FDA approves of packing meat with several gasses. Carbon monoxide is just one of them. All intended on making meat look (or stay) fresh longer.

Oh, yes I know. Smoked meats have been packaged that way for years. It improves the self life dramatically. Using gas flushing is relatively new for fresh meats though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallymonster
Somebody mentioned Wal-Mart above.

One time I went and bought some London Broil. I asked the guy behind the counter if he would slice it for me because I wanted to make some Beef Jerky. He told me that he could not do it for me. I asked him "why?" and he said that Wal-Mart doesn't have butchers. They used to, but then the butchers wanted to go Union so Wal-Mart just got rid of them. (this is all what the guy told me)
Being a Union Carpenter, that decided it for me. I dropped the meat on the counter and walked away.

Yeah, that was me. And yes, that's exactly why Wal-Mart did it. They don't even have cutting or grinding equipment anymore. I've never worked in a union shop in my life, though, (Meatcutting, or electrical work) so I couldn't care less about that aspect of it. But that is another kettle of fish altogether.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 01-06-2008, 09:14 PM   #17
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Orfy, that's awesome. Is that in Chester? I spent some time in Chester doing some temp work for an engineering consultancy. The best steak I've ever had in my life was in a nice pub in Shropshire on my birthday (and I think it was BSE-free). It made Morton's and Ruth's Chris taste like a pile of puke.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:54 PM   #18
Bruscar
Eat, drink, repeat

Recipes 

Like the "lazy" comment earlier, I too buy most of our day-to-day meats at the stupermarket.
Now, if I'm doin' Q, that's a differnt sitchee-ation. Off to one of two Prime grade butchers I know of within 30 minutes of here. I refuse to stoke the Train with coals and myself full of HB for 8-10 hours using cheap meat.
We actually bought a quarter side one time from one of the 2. Cost me $700. Gotta say, the meat was so much better. Just hard to cough up that much coin these days.

: Red Tail clone - back to basics time
Up next: Red's Irish cousin
Then: Who knows

New motto (T'anks, Newguy!)
"for the love of all that is good and holy...NEVER DUMP YOUR BEER!!"

Old 01-06-2008, 09:54 PM   #19
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Seems to be the other way around on the west coast, only the big cities have butcher shops. I live in a town of 1600 & there are no butchers here or anywhere nearby. There are places that have "meat counters", but it's the same stuff sliced a little differently. Something I miss from living in the Bay area.

And I really miss the Asian fish markets.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-06-2008, 10:27 PM   #20
DesertBrew
You're not my type

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 152

I have a butcher shop near me that I pop in every once in a while but the prices are so outrageous I usually just walk back out. Its more of an en vougue kind of place. Oooh, look - I just spent $22 a lb for this NY strip . May as well go to a steak joint and have someone cook you one.

The butcher shop at Albertson's grocery store out here is pretty good and they do cut their own meat. SWMBO does most of the shopping and she knows the meat cutters and they tell her whats good/not so much.

The mexican butcher shops out here are really nice (and cheap) as well but they're usually spicing the meats up with something so you only go there when doing a MX cookout.

Quick Reply