Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Marinating with beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2008, 05:25 PM   #11
JVD_X
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You have got to try the "Chick-Can"... it is awesome. We have used several beers from a can but you can use bottled beer if you transfer it to a can.

Has anyone tried using malt extract straight? You could roll some meat in egg and then roll it in the DME and grill it, or maybe braze the chicken with some liquid extract mix.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2008, 05:33 PM   #12
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3488

Quote:
Originally Posted by atarlecky
Has anyone tried using malt extract straight? You could roll some meat in egg and then roll it in the DME and grill it, or maybe braze the chicken with some liquid extract mix.
You need to find one of these old books!

Most of the old brewerys stayed alive during Prohibition by continuing to produce malt extract for cooking. While at the same time putting "warnings" on the cans telling people not to mix the extract with water, hops and yeast...as if anyone could really make beer with malt extract, water yeast and hops!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-14-2008, 12:12 PM   #13
Loweface
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve
A tender beef stew using an Irish stout can be wonderful.
Or a pie... HMMM Steak and Guinness Pie...

Old 04-14-2008, 10:50 PM   #14
talleymonster

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts

I use Apfelwein for everything. Brats, chicken, beef, and especially pork!
Any meat that IO grill or smoke is marinated with HB/Apfelwein.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:47 PM   #15
Aubie Stout
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Here's a good brine to use w/ poultry or pork. Brining times vary depending on the cut of meat used.

Brine
4 cups hot water
¾ cup kosher salt
¾ cup dark brown sugar, packed
1 tablespoon coursely ground black pepper
6 bay leaves, crumbled
2 X 12 oz. bottles/cans cold dark beer
1 tray of ice cubes
2 cups cold water

Old 08-11-2008, 03:40 AM   #16
Ooompa Loompa
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just made an awesome strip steak. I don't have a grill, so I broiled it in the oven. Took about a cup of my Zebulon Pike Porter, some brown sugar, garlic, salt, and some spicey mustard and marinated the steak for about 2 hours in the fridge. Then preheated the oven to broil, cooked it for about 4 min on one side, flipped it cooked it for another 3 min, flipped it again, cooked it another 2 min. Came out a perfect medium rare, and was super tender and flavorful.

Drinking: Super Shpadoinkle Blonde Ale

Old 08-13-2008, 09:10 PM   #17
monty73741
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

malt extract is used in large amounts in the pharmicudial industry...used as filler

I have a corn beef & cabbage recipe,

1 corn beef, packet of season that comes with it, 1 miller lite.(trust me) let sit for three days..... start your grill sear corn beef then a transfer to hotel pan add plugard buter, some killiams & seal pan with aluminum. braze till almost done add more butter & cabbage let cabbage steam...........serve with irish soda bread...

Old 05-18-2010, 07:32 AM   #18
funkybassmannick
Recipes 

Domestic American pale lagers like coors light work really well for brats. Low on hops, and you get the beer flavor. You can get it for cheap, and save your homebrews to wash down the brat!

Name: Nicholas Bruce
Brewery: Bruce's Brews
Primary: The Doppelgänger - A Dark German Ale
Secondary: Leo's Dino Ale v.4
Bottled: Leo's Dino Ale v.3
Up Next: Lemon Summer Blonde

Old 05-18-2010, 03:06 PM   #19
Myrdhyn
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkybassmannick View Post
Domestic American pale lagers like coors light work really well for brats. Low on hops, and you get the beer flavor. You can get it for cheap, and save your homebrews to wash down the brat!
Any HB recipe that didn't turn out quite the way you wanted makes a great cooking beer, too. You loose the subtle nuances and intensify the base flavors when you cook with it. For instance when I had a batch of oatmeal stout that overattenuated, making it a bit thin and watery to enjoy on its own, it became my go-to cooking beer until the keg kicked. Beer brazed porkchops and onions, brats, every conceivable marinade, what was mediocre in the glass turned into heaven in the kitchen/on the grill.

I also tend to mix my Apfelwein recipes a bit large 5.5-5.75 gallons, when I keg 5 gallons I save the extra in a growler/carafe and plan a series of chicken/pork/seafood around using the still leftovers. My parents did a pork loin in some I gave them off the last batch and they said it was heavenly.

Left tap: Myrd's IPA
Right tap: Heffeweizen
Kegged: Blimey's ESB, Apfelwein, Ed's Haus Pale Ale
Fermenting: Air, but soon to be Ode-to-Arthur and more Apfelwein.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:17 PM   #20
7mmSTW
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use beer exclusively for my roasts in a crock pot. Makes the best gravy hands down...On a side note my first Mr. Beer batch that needed nothing but time (had I only read around on here first...) made just as good of a roast as any other beer I've used.

Quick Reply