Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Make Perfect Thin and Crisp French Fries

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2010, 07:00 PM   #1
neovox
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Make Perfect Thin and Crisp French Fries

Since fries pair so well with beer, I had to share.

The Burger Lab: How to Make Perfect Thin and Crisp French Fries

BrewStreams - Homebrewing and Craft Beer News Aggregator

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2010, 08:07 PM   #2
BadgerBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

What an interesting article! I will have to try this with some burgers this weekend. Looks pretty easy to do so hopefully they will turn out good!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first." - Ronald Reagan

Old 06-07-2010, 08:29 PM   #3
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2450 Times on 1726 Posts
Likes Given: 1404

Wow, unfortunately, McDonalds fries are among my least favorite. Still some pretty good information.

Homer's Brew Log

Old 06-07-2010, 08:30 PM   #4
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Looks awesome! Thanks

Old 06-07-2010, 08:30 PM   #5
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 63

America's Test Kitchen JUST did an episode where they made French Fries using a method I've never seen before, but which is very straightforward and the fries come out perfect.

You use Yukon Gold potatoes and cut them into 1/4" fries. Using peanut oil, you put the fries and oil into a pot at room temp, then turn on the heat to bring it up to a boil. Once the oil is bubbling vigorously, you start counting for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes you can use a spatula to break apart any stuck fries, and scrape up any stuck to the bottom. Then leave the fries in there for another 5-7 minutes until they are at the color and crispness you want. Once they are done, immediately take them off the heat and put them on paper towels to drain.

The important points that were stressed on the show were that the 1/4" cut, the Yukon Gold, and the peanut oil are all key to getting them to come out right. Russet potatoes, for example, get too mushy for this technique to work.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:50 PM   #6
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

For the longest time I've been saying frozen fries are the best. I've worked in several restaurants that made fries from scratch but never both steamed/boiled them then double-fried. It was always either double-fried or steamed-then-fried. That's why I never make them from scratch, too much trouble when you can buy them frozen and you get a great product.

It also depends what you like. I agree with the author that Mickey D's fries are the best, always have been. They take their fries seriously. But go to a place like Five-Guys and you get the dense, greasy, dark fries that 'technically' are terrible. But they're friggin fried potatoes so they're still tasty. And some people prefer that slight 'char' flavor and dense texture.

Orfy made a good thread about 'proper chips' from the UK. Those are different.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 06-08-2010, 01:15 PM   #7
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 984 Times on 643 Posts
Likes Given: 2756

Interesting & informative article. Regards, GF.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:45 PM   #8
avaserfi
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

If you really want to go into the issues of cooking fries check this out: http://www.cookingissues.com/2010/04...remacy-part-1/

This is the French Culinary Institute's Tech Blog. It is very technical read that puts the SE article to shame (the SE article is more recent).

Andrew

Old 06-08-2010, 05:45 PM   #9
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
For the longest time I've been saying frozen fries are the best. I've worked in several restaurants that made fries from scratch but never both steamed/boiled them then double-fried. It was always either double-fried or steamed-then-fried. That's why I never make them from scratch, too much trouble when you can buy them frozen and you get a great product.

It also depends what you like. I agree with the author that Mickey D's fries are the best, always have been. They take their fries seriously. But go to a place like Five-Guys and you get the dense, greasy, dark fries that 'technically' are terrible. But they're friggin fried potatoes so they're still tasty. And some people prefer that slight 'char' flavor and dense texture.

Orfy made a good thread about 'proper chips' from the UK. Those are different.
I've had places in the UK that served "chips" and "french fries" which were a different style. So I guess the US belief that chips = fries isn't quite right, it is a little more nuanced.

Ordering a burger with chips in a pub gets you something pretty damn similar to ordering a burger with fries at a pub here, they just cook the damn burger to death.

I don't get why five-guys exists. Everybody loves it. I tried it twice. The fries are seriously wanting (though they give you a LOT) and the burger is about the quality of In and Out for twice the price. A burger fries and soft drink gets to within 2 or 3 dollars of the same at a restaurant across the street that has a much better burger, much better fries, and table service.

Quick Reply