Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Liver sausages

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2012, 02:04 PM   #31
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Sounds like someone in cheezy's family didn't know how to make good liver and onions. Damned fine eating when it's made right.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine
CreamyGoodness Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 04:24 PM   #32
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1501 Times on 1151 Posts
Likes Given: 2692

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
Sounds like someone in cheezy's family didn't know how to make good liver and onions. Damned fine eating when it's made right.
It was the timing.

What happened to me bordered on child abuse, not new food tasting

I should try it again. I was 9 or 10 and under gunpoint to eat it.

- a very......very.....druck Zul'jin

Old 12-24-2012, 04:41 PM   #33
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2939 Times on 1866 Posts
Likes Given: 2482

I love chicken livers. Baked, wrapped in a piece of bacon is killer. The fat from the bacon helps with the dryness of the liver.

Old 12-24-2012, 04:50 PM   #34
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
Texturally I am displeased, for one. I would use a better grinder. Also I think it could use more schmaltz and duck fat.

I think they could use more salt and pepper, more onion powder, and... honestly... a wee bit more of every spice and herb listed. Plus, I would have incorporated chicken liver, which was the plan all along.
If you want something more like liverwurst you need to emulsify, the way hot dogs and bologna are made. To do this, it needs to be ground very finely. Add crushed ice while grinding - the ice helps with the grinding and gets absorbed into the meat, which will make it more CreamyGoodnessy. I've never done this with the Kitchenaid but I bet it would work if you used ground multiple times and at least one pass with the fine grinder plate. Make sure to add spices. especially salt, as early as possible in the grinding to get them uniformly into the meat.

What you really need is a bowl cutter. Sure wish I had one of those.

[edit] This blog is great. Man those things look good. You can make liverwurst the same way.

http://bestbyfarr.wordpress.com/2009...made-hot-dogs/

Old 12-27-2012, 06:21 PM   #35
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 678 Times on 481 Posts
Likes Given: 1669

Quote:
I'm suddenly thinking that these sausages would be a great base for a poultry stuffing...
Now this IS an interesting idea, you have piqued my interest. Were you thinking about decasing them, or just slicing? I'm trying to work out the flavours in my head; I'm thinking sausages, the ubiquitous bread (or cornbread) cubes, bacon, chopped celery (with chopped leaves) chopped pecans, raisins, chopped mushrooms.

Maybe condensed cream of mushroom soup as a binding agent, a few spoonfuls of LME, and I want to say some sort of aromatic herb like sage or rosemary, but I don't think they would work with the rest of the flavours, so I get kind of stuck at that point. Maybe something like caraway or a wee bit o' fennel?

Hhhhmmmmmm, this requires another beer & some thought. I'm curious to see what your ideas on the stuffing are.
Regards, GF.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:27 PM   #36
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1540 Times on 1094 Posts
Likes Given: 2406

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratus fermentatio View Post
Now this IS an interesting idea, you have piqued my interest. Were you thinking about decasing them, or just slicing? I'm trying to work out the flavours in my head; I'm thinking sausages, the ubiquitous bread (or cornbread) cubes, bacon, chopped celery (with chopped leaves) chopped pecans, raisins, chopped mushrooms.

Maybe condensed cream of mushroom soup as a binding agent, a few spoonfuls of LME, and I want to say some sort of aromatic herb like sage or rosemary, but I don't think they would work with the rest of the flavours, so I get kind of stuck at that point. Maybe something like caraway or a wee bit o' fennel?

Hhhhmmmmmm, this requires another beer & some thought. I'm curious to see what your ideas on the stuffing are.
Regards, GF.
I like all of your ideas, I was thinking something very similar. I was thinking decased and crumbled sausages (kind of like when you make a white gravy) with bread, chicken stock, celery, onion, rosemary, maybe a little (sorry to do this bro...) sazon goya . I really love the taste of tumeric and onion powder etc, so I think that would zip it up a bit. Maybe encorporating some of your cream of mushroom or cream of celery of cream of anything even an old boot would be a good addition.

Crap Gratus, you need to come to NY.

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 12-27-2012, 11:44 PM   #37
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

If you want to skip the sausages, just make balkenbrij. I've never seen this outside old dutch families, so be the only one on your block.

I grew up in the typical frugal dutch family, and we used liver and other organ meat to make this meat loaf (ground with an old-fashioned countertop hand grinder). I loved the stuff. It's very similar to the amish scrapple, which I used to get in lancaster PA.

Sliced, fried, it's heaven on toast. Good use of liver there. And heart, pigs head, etc.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:47 PM   #38
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
If you want to skip the sausages, just make balkenbrij. I've never seen this outside old dutch families, so be the only one on your block.

I grew up in the typical frugal dutch family, and we used liver and other organ meat to make this meat loaf (ground with an old-fashioned countertop hand grinder). I loved the stuff. It's very similar to the amish scrapple, which I used to get in lancaster PA.

Sliced, fried, it's heaven on toast. Good use of liver there. And heart, pigs head, etc.
Sounds great! I know its hard to tell just by looking at them, but being more a liver sausage scholar than myself, how else would you serve/work with the sausages I already made?

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:54 PM   #39
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Sounds great! I know its hard to tell just by looking at them, but being more a liver sausage scholar than myself, how else would you serve/work with the sausages I already made?
IMO the most important thing is testing the recipe before you stuff. Unlike beer, you can quickly fry a bit of the sausage mix and know what the final product is going to taste like. Don't stuff till you taste something you could eat all day.

First time I made sausages, I made italian and brats. I fried a bit of both. The italians were awesome. The brats just OK. I stuff them and in the end, the italians were awesome and the brats just OK.

I made Boudin Blanc once (blood sausage without the blood). The recipe had SOO much onion. Just didn't look right. I fried a bit up, and it didn't taste right. I stuffed anyway, and ended up pitching the entire batch.

So, just trust the fry pan and don't stuff till it tastes just right. Here's my son and his friend Mitch stuffing those ill-fated Boudin Blanc sausages.

http://youtu.be/c9IBEGDxzF0
Old 12-29-2012, 11:04 PM   #40
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Awesome vid

Quick Reply