Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Liver: Discuss
View Poll Results: What is your take on liver?
Eww...gross! 20 43.48%
Whole liver rocks! 7 15.22%
Chopped liver rocks! 7 15.22%
Pate rocks! 11 23.91%
<Some other method of preparation> rocks! 5 10.87%
Depends mightily on how it is prepared. 11 23.91%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2013, 02:26 PM   #61
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 976 Times on 638 Posts
Likes Given: 2686

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsailor View Post
Yes, this is very true. I was fortunate enough to start out life on a farm where everything was utilized when butchering and processing.

I am not allowed to eat anything that has been named.
I get around the name thing by naming them things like "Lunch, Porkchop, Juicy," etc...

BTW, I never had a heart I didn't like, though I haven't tried fish heart yet. It never ocurred to me to use fish innards for anything other than bait or fertilizer. Next big fish I catch, I'll have to give it a try.
Regards, GF.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:13 PM   #62
mikescooling
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 211

I liked the Rocky mountain oysters, but drew the line at the fryed bull sperm, I said NO.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2013, 06:04 PM   #63
Subsailor
Life is Tough, Stupid makes it Tougher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 511 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 3705

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratus fermentatio View Post
I get around the name thing by naming them things like "Lunch, Porkchop, Juicy," etc...

BTW, I never had a heart I didn't like, though I haven't tried fish heart yet. It never ocurred to me to use fish innards for anything other than bait or fertilizer. Next big fish I catch, I'll have to give it a try.
Regards, GF.
GF, you're another person I would like to sit down and have a meal and a beer with, thanks!

I didn't think to try until I watched Bizarre Foods and the host ate the heart right fresh from the fish. He also ate the still beating heart of a frog.

I don't know why I never considered fish hearts and livers before, I eat them from four-legs and fliers; why not fish?
SSBN 641 B
gratus fermentatio Likes This 
Old 08-26-2013, 06:06 PM   #64
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1772 Times on 1229 Posts
Likes Given: 3015

Im told the air bladders of some fish are a delicacy in Japan. The original Iron Chef had it as the secret ingredient once years ago.

I remember my father and I frowning with doubt when the Japanese actress judge declared "this would be a good dish for children!"

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 08-27-2013, 01:32 PM   #65
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 976 Times on 638 Posts
Likes Given: 2686

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsailor View Post
GF, you're another person I would like to sit down and have a meal and a beer with, thanks!

I didn't think to try until I watched Bizarre Foods and the host ate the heart right fresh from the fish. He also ate the still beating heart of a frog.

I don't know why I never considered fish hearts and livers before, I eat them from four-legs and fliers; why not fish?
I've read that you should never eat the liver from certain arctic fish, polar bears & walrus as they have a sort of biological antifreeze in them. Other than that, I'm pretty much on board with "Why not?" I've always thought frogs tasted like pond water, though I suppose farm raised frogs might taste better.

I saw (on TV) a fish prepared so that it was still alive after being partially cooked & was served up gasping on the plate, while the other end had been scaled, breaded & fried. I think I'm more concerned about the suffering of the creature as opposed to eating something that's still twitching. I've eaten rattlesnake that twitched inthe pan without reservation, but I do believe in a clean kill; I figure it's the least I can do in appreciation for a meal.

Sitting down to a meal & copious amounts of homebrew with you sounds like a great way to spend a day/evening.
Regards, GF.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:02 PM   #66
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1772 Times on 1229 Posts
Likes Given: 3015

The only time I can think of a "live" fish or animal being eaten as humane is the little fish that are "drunk" with a glass of water in certain parts of Japan. I figure being swallowed whole and dying in a stomach cant be too too bad (similar to how they would die via another fish). Even if it is humane, however, I'm not certain I'd be thrilled to do so, however. Swallowing something whole was always a technique to NOT taste something.

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 08-27-2013, 05:59 PM   #67
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 657 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratus fermentatio View Post
I saw (on TV) a fish prepared so that it was still alive after being partially cooked & was served up gasping on the plate, while the other end had been scaled, breaded & fried. I think I'm more concerned about the suffering of the creature as opposed to eating something that's still twitching. I've eaten rattlesnake that twitched inthe pan without reservation, but I do believe in a clean kill; I figure it's the least I can do in appreciation for a meal.

Quick Reply