Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Lets talk Venison

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2008, 03:19 PM   #1
RC0032
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Lets talk Venison

Im not a hunter but I received a nice venison steak from a friend last night and wanted any input HBT might have on ways to cook it or what beer would pair well. I know nothing about cooking venison other than he said it was VERY lean and dont over cook it. Now I consider myself a competent cook so post up your recipes

Im thinking a marinade to help with the gammy flavor?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2008, 03:22 PM   #2
jmulligan

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

First off, don't try to get rid of the "gamey" flavor! Most venison I've had doesn't have a very gamey taste, it just tastes like very lean beef. I cook my venison the same way I might cook a steak - season with salt and pepper, or maybe some seasoned salt or rub it down with olive oil and garlic and cook it to med-rare. HWMO prefers sauces to simplicity, so I have cooked up red wine sauces for the steaks as well.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:25 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2755 Times on 1650 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I did this as a marinade for some venison steaks...yummy.

The marinade is based around and Ancho/Chipotle pepper Puree

To make the Ancho/chipotle Puree:
Soak Chilis in very hot Chicken Stock until they reconstitute (about 15 to 20 minutes).
Allow to cool. Pour mixture into a food processor or blender along with the chipotle peppers and puree until smooth.

(I often make the puree and freeze it in small ziplock bags, then thaw it as needed for a recipe.)

The rest of it...

3 tablespoons Olive Oil
1 medium Onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, diced
6 Ancho Chili Pods, stems and seeds removed
1-2 chipotle peppers with adobe sauce still coating it.
1.5 cups Chicken Stock
1 cup Tomato Puree
1/2 teaspoon (or to taste) Cumin
1/2 teaspoon (or to taste) Black Pepper
1/8 teaspoon (or to taste) dried Thyme
1 teaspoon (or to taste) Salt

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-24-2008, 03:32 PM   #4
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts

The "gamey" flavor is often exaggerated, and also depends on what cut. You say you have a venison "steak". Do you know what cut, exactly, it is? Personally, anything outside of the backstrap (also known as the "tenderloin") / tenderloin (also known as the "fish') needs to either be used as a roast, or as stew meat, or ground as used as hamburger/sausage. I've never had a venison "ny strip", for instance. And this is coming from the guy who kills and butchers them himself, with the wife.

So, if you have a tenderloin/backstrap/fish, I would slice them crosswise into 3/4" medallions. Take half a cup of dried cranberries and simmer in 2 cups of water for 3 or 4 minutes. Drain the cranberries, reserving the liquid. Heat some oil in a skillet until it's pretty hot, just below smoke point. Salt and pepper both sides of the medallions. Sear the medallions for no longer than 80 seconds each side, until brown. Put them on a plate and cover with foil; meanwhile, you'll want to make a pan sauce. My favorite is cranberry port, especially this time of year. Add some diced onions or shallots to the hot pan where you'd seared the meat and cook for a few minutes until softened. Add a cup of port and a 1/4 cup of white wine vinegar, and cook until reduced by half. Add a couple cups of chicken broth and the reserved cranberry water and cook until reduced by half again. Mix a couple tablespoons of corn starch with a few tablespoons of water until a paste forms, and add this to the pan. Continue to cook until thickened and glossy; add cranberries, stir, add meat and any juices and stir until warmed. Bam, ready to serve.

If it's not one of those cuts, I would suggest making a slow-roast out of it or, even better, cutting it into stew meat and making venison stew or chili with it. Without the fat, I wouldn't expect the typical grilled steak to be very good.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 11-24-2008, 03:39 PM   #5
RC0032
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Ohhh chili ....tasty! As for the cut I have no idea. They self butcher and said it was shoulder/back.

Maybe I will freeze it and save it for after Turkey day. Any issues with this?

Old 11-24-2008, 03:59 PM   #6
Jester369

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Mmmm... venison chili is so good. Too bad I'm too lazy to go out and drag a deer home

Old 11-24-2008, 04:01 PM   #7
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC0032 View Post
Ohhh chili ....tasty! As for the cut I have no idea. They self butcher and said it was shoulder/back.

Maybe I will freeze it and save it for after Turkey day. Any issues with this?
It's better if you have a foodsaver and you vacuum seal it before freezing, but if not, just get a freezer bag. Shouldn't be any issues as long as you minimize burn. I freeze all mine, but I also foodsave it or, if it comes from the abattoir, it's already vacuum packed.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 11-24-2008, 04:02 PM   #8
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester369 View Post
Mmmm... venison chili is so good. Too bad I'm too lazy to go out and drag a deer home
I took 3 of those f*ckers last year, in the span of 30 minutes or so. Talk about a pain in the ass...driving around the field, field-dressing each one, then chucking em in the truck, then taking it to the abattoir. But a freezer full of venison for the year is well worth it.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 11-24-2008, 05:27 PM   #9
Mutilated1
Beer Drenched Executioner

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts

Default Southern Style Venison Steaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC0032 View Post
Im not a hunter but I received a nice venison steak from a friend last night and wanted any input HBT might have on ways to cook it or what beer would pair well. I know nothing about cooking venison other than he said it was VERY lean and dont over cook it. Now I consider myself a competent cook so post up your recipes

Im thinking a marinade to help with the gammy flavor?
Here is a great recipe for Southern Style Venison Steaks.

Ingredients:
Venison Steaks
Crispy Southern Style Chicken Frying Mix
Butter Milk
Oil or shortening

First take a meat tenderizing hammer and pound the hell out of your venison steaks with the spiked side of the hammer. If you've got inside tenderloins you don't have to do this, but back strap tenderloins or just about any other cut of venison will benefit from a good pounding you're going to cook it steak style. Pound them till they're about 1/4" thick.

Now put some oil or shortening in a frying pan on medium heat, maybe 1/8" of oil. Don't overheat, don't let the oil start to smoke - medium heat only.

Moisten the steaks in Buttermilk then dip your steaks in the Crispy Southern Style Chicken Frying Mix and then add them to frying pan with the hot oil and cook them to medium brown color, turn them over and cook the other side to color. Don't over cook, it doesn't take long - watch what you're doing.

Now when you got your steaks all cooked, pour off most all of the oil, but save maybe 1-2 spoonfuls and don't pour off the little brown bits that are stuck to the bottom of the skillet. Turn the heat down to low, and you should have about 1 cup of the Crispy Southern Style Chicken Frying Mix left. Put that into the skillet, and then add 1 cup of Buttermilk and 1/2 cup water. Whisk it till its smooth, then turn the heat back up to medium/medium high and bring it to a boil, whisking it all the while its heating. Once it gets to a boil, turn it back down to low.

Serve your venison steaks with gravy, biscuits, and black eyed peas.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:46 PM   #10
thistle
Recipes 

This reminds me of my one time cooking venison a few years ago. My neighbor at the time was a bow hunter & I'd talked to him about how my BIL was a hunter & I wasn't grossed out by the thought of venison, it was just another meat. I came home one night & on the doorstep was a large styrofoam cooler w/ an entire deer leg in it.

I wasn't sure what I could do, not having cooked venison before, but since the neighborhood fall festival was the next day, w/ a chili cookoff, I decided that was the ticket. I butchered it, doctored it, & entered it in the chili cookoff (I did label it, although it was supposed to be a blind testing-I didn't want my neighbors to hate me,if they were bothered by the idea of a venison chili). Although it didn't win top honors, it scored very high, & I utilized the whole leg...it was a very good chili!

Now, I'm waiting for another unexpected gift of venison (none of my new neighbors are hunters) to arrive...

Quick Reply