Leberkäse Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnTheBrewist

Reaction score
I made up a batch of this last night and thought I would share my recipe as content for the proposed smoking, curing and sausage making forum.

Anyone who has spent some time in Bavaria has surely come to love this airy meat loaf. Traditional Bavarian Leberkäse translated as "Liver Cheese" has no liver or cheese (although you will find some recipes that do contain liver). I like to eat this as a "Strammer Max" with a light lager or Weissbier.

Stole this pic from a previous post by Edwort, hope you don't mind Ed!
leberkaese.jpg

Leberkäse
1 ½ Lbs Beef
3 Lbs Pork
½ Lb Pork fat or bacon
3 Cup Shaved Ice
1 ½ Cups Milk
3 Tsp Powdered Dextrose
3 Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Prague Powder #1
1 Tsp White Pepper (ground)
½ Tsp Lemon rind
½ Tsp Mace (ground)
½ Tsp Coriander (ground)
½ Tsp Paprika (ground)
¼ Tsp Ginger (ground)
¼ Tsp Cardamom (ground)
¼ Tsp Onion Powder
Instructions:
Cut partially defrosted meat into chunks, and put through smallest plate of your meat grinder.

Mix all of the spices together and mix into the ground meat with your hands.

Put about 4 cups of crushed ice (some will melt and compact to about 3C of shaved ice) in your food processor to make shaved ice (like on a snow cone). Then remove to another bowl.

Place about a third of the meat and ice in your food processor and start mixing adding about a third of the milk to help it emulsify. The ice and milk are important in this recipe to help the meat become smooth and fluffy. It will take a couple minutes for each portion in the processor. It should have a fluffy, pudding like texture and stick together well. Perform this step twice more with the rest of the meat. Hand mix the three portions together again.

Place the meat mixture into 2 greased loaf pans (about 5x9). The meat can be domed with a spatula above the top of the pans. Use a spatula to scribe criss-crossed lines on top of the loaves. Set the loaf pans in a shallow water bath on a baking sheet.

Place in a pre-heated oven at 300ºF for 2-2.5 hours or until the meat reaches an internal temp of 165F. Cut into slices and serve hot with German bread and mustard. Loaves can be frozen or chilled. To reheat, cut into slices and fry.

You can also have a “Strammer Max” Which is a slice of bread, slice of hot Leberkäse, sunny side up egg, and topped with fried onion rings.

Enjoy,

Moose

#tag#smoking, curing & sausage making

looks great. when I was in bavaria my host family made leberkase for lunch all the time. good german brot, leberkase, and a bit of mustard (mit senf!). so good.

I don't like Leberkas, it's bubbly....not pleasant.

Also that's not what I know as a "strammer max", which is normally pumpernickel covered in Schwarzwald schinken (blackforest ham) and then a fried egg on top and some fanned pickled Gherkins.

Looking at Wkipedia it appears that the Bavarian variation is as you describe, the one I know is the original it appears.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strammer_Max

What's the point of your post? Lots of people DO like the light airyness of this loaf, especially the thousands of Bavarians who eat it everyday.

There are regional variations of any food, just because you know it as something slightly different, doesn't mean what I posted is wrong. (as the wikipedia entry you found proved).

What's the point of your post? Lots of people DO like the light airyness of this loaf, especially the thousands of Bavarians who eat it everyday.

There are regional variations of any food, just because you know it as something slightly different, doesn't mean what I posted is wrong. (as the wikipedia entry you found proved).

Just an observation really, don't get your panties in a twist.

Back