Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Kim Chee/ Kimchi
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2011, 10:43 PM   #51
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lschiavo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Surrounded by Yoopers
Posts: 4,005
Liked 795 Times on 531 Posts
Likes Given: 550

Default

Ready for a three day weekend! Its 95 so I'm getting a little sun on the beer belly while the kids are playing with water. Anyway, here is the kimchi that had been siting on the kitchen counter since I made it. Wow! Does it go great with a hot day and a cold beer. It is starting to bubble a bit but still tastes pretty fresh.

forumrunner_20110701_164222.jpg  
__________________
lschiavo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2011, 02:39 AM   #52
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 62,910
Liked 4957 Times on 3588 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

Default

Oh, that looks great! I wish I was there for a sample- make sure you save me a taste!

Did you make it spicy?

__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
Yooper is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2011, 04:23 AM   #53
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lschiavo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Surrounded by Yoopers
Posts: 4,005
Liked 795 Times on 531 Posts
Likes Given: 550

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper
Oh, that looks great! I wish I was there for a sample- make sure you save me a taste!

Did you make it spicy?
It's spicy. Not extreme but just about right. Next time I'm adding the extra 1/2 cup of pepper flakes. I have a pound or two reserved for you and Bob.
__________________
lschiavo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2011, 03:02 PM   #54
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 62,910
Liked 4957 Times on 3588 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschiavo View Post
It's spicy. Not extreme but just about right. Next time I'm adding the extra 1/2 cup of pepper flakes. I have a pound or two reserved for you and Bob.
You rock!
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
Yooper is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2011, 08:38 PM   #55
android
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ames, Iowa
Posts: 3,117
Liked 41 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

here's some that i made probably 4 months ago. it's aging quite nicely. i don't eat kimchee a ton, but i love having some around. i based my recipe off the one in Wild Fermentation, which is a great book if you haven't checked it out. i also love doing naturally fermented sauerkraut and my wife and I made some fermented salsa a few times, it's good, but kinda weird with the fizzyness from the co2 that gets released.

__________________
primary: APA

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller
android is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2011, 08:51 PM   #56
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lschiavo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Surrounded by Yoopers
Posts: 4,005
Liked 795 Times on 531 Posts
Likes Given: 550

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by android
here's some that i made probably 4 months ago. it's aging quite nicely. i don't eat kimchee a ton, but i love having some around. i based my recipe off the one in Wild Fermentation, which is a great book if you haven't checked it out. i also love doing naturally fermented sauerkraut and my wife and I made some fermented salsa a few times, it's good, but kinda weird with the fizzyness from the co2 that gets released.
That looks great! I just love cabbage. Add some spice and sour and I'm in. Next project is sauerkraut.

I just took the primary bucket out of the fridge. It's too cold to ferment. I was planning to put it in the ferm chamber at about 55. That should be close to in-ground temperature?
__________________
lschiavo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2011, 09:01 PM   #57
android
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ames, Iowa
Posts: 3,117
Liked 41 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

when i've done sauerkraut, i just let it sit at room temp and it seems to sour up fine. it takes a few weeks for it to get good n' sour though. i think the koreans like to set their fermentation fridges around 55 though, so i'm sure it would be fine, just might take a little longer.

__________________
primary: APA

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller
android is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2011, 09:02 PM   #58
scotched
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pasadena, California
Posts: 323
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Out of curiosity, do you guys/girls prefer a certain type of beer or food with your kimchii?

__________________
Goonie's tube|soundcloud|
-
Fermenting: Edwort's Wounded Knee IPA (no-chill), XH Limeade #3
Serving:
nada
scotched is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2011, 09:07 PM   #59
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
AZ_IPA's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Cold Part of AZ
Posts: 43,964
Liked 6351 Times on 5498 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotched View Post
Out of curiosity, do you guys/girls prefer a certain type of beer or food with your kimchii?
San Miguel would probably pair well with kimchii.
__________________
AZ_IPA is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2011, 09:23 PM   #60
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lschiavo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Surrounded by Yoopers
Posts: 4,005
Liked 795 Times on 531 Posts
Likes Given: 550

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by android
when i've done sauerkraut, i just let it sit at room temp and it seems to sour up fine. it takes a few weeks for it to get good n' sour though. i think the koreans like to set their fermentation fridges around 55 though, so i'm sure it would be fine, just might take a little longer.
Thanks for the advice. I think I will leave the bucket on the garage floor for a while. It stays 70 and below. I'll watch that for a few days and see what develops. I'm having a hard time keeping my mits out of it...reminds mean of my first batch of beer....
__________________
lschiavo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kimchi Pabst Blue Robot Cooking & Pairing 5 01-24-2008 05:22 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS