Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Kim Chee/ Kimchi

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2010, 01:51 AM   #11
Schlenkerla
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I love the stuff. I ate a bunch of it in China. My host was Korean and took me places where they had it. They did it with almost every vegetable. So they were not always with cabbage.

It goes good with salty stir fried chicken or beef. Maybe even some soba noodles mixed/topped with soy sauce and wasabi

Need to have it a bucket of Snow beer or a bunch of Sapporo.

Maybe San Miguel.....

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2010, 02:19 AM   #12
RIBeer
Recipes 

This is something I have been thinking about trying, but I can't seem to find one ingredient that seems to be a key - the Korean ground pepper. Does anyone have a source for the real thing? There's a pretty comprehensive Asian grocery just up the street from me, but the woman who runs it really doesn't speak English, and my Chinese is nonexistant - if you know what you need and what it looks like, you're good, otherwise out of luck.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:21 AM   #13
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIBeer View Post
This is something I have been thinking about trying, but I can't seem to find one ingredient that seems to be a key - the Korean ground pepper. Does anyone have a source for the real thing? There's a pretty comprehensive Asian grocery just up the street from me, but the woman who runs it really doesn't speak English, and my Chinese is nonexistant - if you know what you need and what it looks like, you're good, otherwise out of luck.
Kimchi is a Korean delicacy.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 04-12-2010, 02:58 AM   #14
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Wow- I bet that place stinks to high heaven!

I LOVE kimchi, though. I actually love most "stinky" foods. From bleu cheese to kimchi, I can't get enough of aged/fermented/pickled/spicy foods.
The thing about Korea is that while you're standing in line waiting to go through customs your nose is hit with this odd and slightly sickening odor...it's Korea.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:27 AM   #15
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I love Kimchi, but you're brave for trying to make it at home! I lived in a pretty large Korean population area just outside of Philadelphia in college. The apartment complex sent a letter to all residents banning the making of kimchi at home. Apparently korean residents neighbors were complaining about the smell (which was "pungent"... had friends that their neighbors made just 1 batch a year), and they would use the fridge to keep the fermentation temps "right". Apparently if residents made a lot when they moved out the stink wouldn't leave the fridge and it would need to be replaced.

Please post how it came out! haven't been able to find it since I've moved south!
I'm just not brave enough to make any at home!

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 04-12-2010, 02:31 PM   #16
bierhaus15
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I make kimchee all the time. It's one of those foods I can get eat tons of and not feel guilty about. Though I don't do a full fermentation or use seafood (oysters) so its more or less a pickling process. Here is my recipe;

Cut napa cabbage to remove hard stems, soak in water/salt brine for 2 hours then remove and pat dry. Mix fresh ground ginger, garlic, 1/4 cup fish sauce (I use the stuff made from squid, its more expensive but has a less harsh flavor), green onions, diakon radish, about 1/3 cup of korean red chili paste, and a few tablespoons of mirin or rice vinegar. Spread this mixture inside and out of cabbage, stuff in mason jars and let sit for about 12hrs or until you see a few bubbles. Refrigerate, then eat and enjoy!

When i'm tired of eating it plain, i'll cut it up to make kimchee fried rice or make a spicy stew out of it to go alongside korean bbq.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:23 PM   #17
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bierhaus15 View Post
When i'm tired of eating it plain, i'll cut it up to make kimchee fried rice or make a spicy stew out of it to go alongside korean bbq.
Two of my favorite uses!!! I really like the kind made from semi dried daikon radish. Unfortunately it is rarely served at the restaurants here in town, or also rarely available in the Asian markets
Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 04-12-2010, 03:40 PM   #18
TheManes
Recipes 

In one of the recent issues, Saveur magazine did a piece on Kimchi with many different recipes for different varieties of it. I think you can get the recipes on their website. Just google "saveur magazine kimchi". Good magazine, recipes are usually very good.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:27 AM   #19
RIBeer
Recipes 

Bierhaus - can you provide the brand name of the Korean chili paste you use?

Old 04-15-2010, 05:07 AM   #20
bierhaus15
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIBeer View Post
Bierhaus - can you provide the brand name of the Korean chili paste you use?
Well, I normally use dried Korean red chili flakes for my kimchi, which you can pretty much get at any Asian market, but the paste i mentioned was "gochujang," which is sorta like a Korean red chili ketchup. I buy this at my Asian market also, though I can't say the brand name as it's all in Korean.

If it helps any, it comes in a red plastic tub and has gocujang in small letters on the front.

Also, if anyone is interested I make diakon - ginger pickles pretty often too, and are great plain, or in stir frys. They can also be make with regular radishes. Here is the recipe:

Bring equal parts rice wine vinegar and water to a boil, add some salt and sugar to taste, and set aside. Cut radish into cubes or 1/4'' slices. Peel and grate ginger. Add ginger, a crushed clove of garlic, and red pepper flakes to canning jar. Pack jar with sliced radish and pour brine over, leaving some room at top. Cover and refrigerate for 24hrs, then enjoy! Super simple and there are tons of variations.

Quick Reply