LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2012, 01:57 PM   #141
juvinious
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummstikk View Post
I think temperature control for kimchi is not quite as important as it is for brewing. But isn't your kimchi quickly becoming very sour? I imagine you'd eventually get the same level of acidity as you'd find in sauerkraut.
Well the level of acidity that I like doesn't start to blossom till about 2nd or 3rd week at which time I put it in the fridge. It's already spewing out since it's full to the brim.

Quote:
One thing Koreans are always talking about doing with kimchi that has become very sour is using it to make kimchi jjigae. I haven't made it yet, but here's a recipe: http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/kimchi-chigae-kongnamool
Yes that jjigae recipe is delish, I've made it several times. I also got a good recipe book from an author out in L.A. which covers a good amount of korean dishes and kimchi.

Quote:
Another thing I have made with my kimchi once it becomes too sour to eat by itself (it happens in the fridge too, it just takes longer) is kimchi pancakes! http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/kimchijeon
Yes that stuff is killer! I have a good recipe in the book I mentioned above.

Quote:
As for the spiciness, I would say don't worry if you're getting just a mild level of spice. If you're using gochugaru and it looks as red as that picture, it is plenty spicy enough. It has been surprising to me how many Korean dishes are really not made to be extremely spicy. After hearing Koreans cautiously ask me over and over if my white palette can handle spicy foods, I expected Korean cooking to be a capsaicin fest. But the average kimchi is not nearly as hot as the average Mexican salsa, in my limited experience.
No worries, I consume extremely spicy stuff (Thai, Taiwanese, Sichuan) so I guess my palate is probably shot because of it. Below you can see a pic of some thai food I made the other day which was pretty spicy.

Quote:
My guess, from that picture, is that you're doing it just right!

Bottled: Pyment | Strawberry Melomel

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2012, 03:17 AM   #142
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 778 Times on 518 Posts
Likes Given: 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by juvinious View Post
Well the level of acidity that I like doesn't start to blossom till about 2nd or 3rd week at which time I put it in the fridge. It's already spewing out since it's full to the brim.

Yes that jjigae recipe is delish, I've made it several times. I also got a good recipe book from an author out in L.A. which covers a good amount of korean dishes and kimchi.

Yes that stuff is killer! I have a good recipe in the book I mentioned above.

No worries, I consume extremely spicy stuff (Thai, Taiwanese, Sichuan) so I guess my palate is probably shot because of it. Below you can see a pic of some thai food I made the other day which was pretty spicy.

Holy $hit! That looks delicious! How do I get an invite for dinner next time?

Old 09-28-2012, 11:31 PM   #143
juvinious
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 4 Posts

Hahha, this is almost like a nightly thing for me. :P

And yeah and the kimchi threw up all over the counter the day before last, it's getting a nice and tangy now.

Bottled: Pyment | Strawberry Melomel

Old 09-28-2012, 11:37 PM   #144
Subsailor
Life is Tough, Stupid makes it Tougher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 502 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 3702

KIMCHI!!!! the absolute best Hot Dog topping in the world!! I love Kimchi! I haven't made it yet because my wife can't stand the smell.

SSBN 641 B

Old 10-05-2012, 04:08 PM   #145
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1613 Times on 1137 Posts
Likes Given: 2710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsailor View Post
KIMCHI!!!! the absolute best Hot Dog topping in the world!! I love Kimchi! I haven't made it yet because my wife can't stand the smell.
Maybe you can threaten to make garum and then downsell her to kimchi

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Subsailor Likes This 
Old 10-05-2012, 04:11 PM   #146
rhamilton
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Also -- if you buy kimchi from the stores, keep the glass jars. They are excellent containers for starters!

Kegged: County Jail Pale Ale, AHS Anniv IPA, AHS Brooklyn Brown, Raspberry Wheat, Blood Orange Hefe, Ranger IPA clone (x2), Newcastle clone, AHS Irish Red, Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Session Series Belgian Saison, Apocalypso, Pecan Porter, DFH 90 Minute Clone, Apfelwein (x2), Wytchmaker Rye IPA Clone, Vienna/Simcoe SMaSH, Munich/Cascade SMaSH

Old 11-11-2012, 02:48 PM   #147
BorealBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 102

SubSailor- I wholeheartedly agree with you!!! I thought I was the only hot dog and kimchi fan.

My neighbour a couple houses down makes awesome stuff - I'm going to ask her if she'll share her recipe and method.

Incidentally, her husband's a German guy from Dortmund...maybe we can work some sort of swap...Dortmunder Export for kimchi...

Boreal Brewer

-"Son, you can't sing or dance, I don't like your writing, and you can't draw a picture to save your life. But you make a fine beer!" An 80 year old friend

Quick Reply