Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Kim Chee/ Kimchi

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2012, 02:40 AM   #91
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 768 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 523

Quote:
Originally Posted by azscoob View Post
Both you and Yoop are on my short list of reprobates I need to meet up with, do you fly-fishing? I love kimchi with fresh fish, and what better than some panfish caught in the shallows?

Ok maybe crappie or walleye....
If you're looking for trouble, you could do better than me and Yoop. We do have fun in a lame, old people (she's older than me [jab]) sort of way though.

Never fly fishing. A few years back, I was king of spin cast brook trout fishing...It actually may be a decade ago by now. I never really did much other fishing. Yooper's Bob is THE fisherman! He could feed a small community of homebrewers with his catches of panfish and he often does. I'm working on moving my family out to our river property where huge muskies are prowling. I've never fished for them but I have a feeling I will.

Just to stay on topic: Kimchi is really good and I am going to sample some right now.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2012, 12:13 PM   #92
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2035 Times on 1462 Posts
Likes Given: 1115

I love fly fishing, but mostly for panfish and bass and that sort. I'm no good in a river.

I'm kind of scared of Kimchi though. Sounds nasty. Hopefully there will be some at the get together to try. I hope I don't like it. It sounds like something my wife would hate for me to start making!

When I was VERY little I went Muskie fishing with my dad and grandpa. We put a fair sized bluegill on a huge treble hook and bobber and tossed it in the lake and sat back and waited. Caught nothing that day, but I was at grandpa's house one time when he came home with one. I've always wanted to try catching one.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:07 AM   #93
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal
I love fly fishing, but mostly for panfish and bass and that sort. I'm no good in a river.

I'm kind of scared of Kimchi though. Sounds nasty. Hopefully there will be some at the get together to try. I hope I don't like it. It sounds like something my wife would hate for me to start making!

When I was VERY little I went Muskie fishing with my dad and grandpa. We put a fair sized bluegill on a huge treble hook and bobber and tossed it in the lake and sat back and waited. Caught nothing that day, but I was at grandpa's house one time when he came home with one. I've always wanted to try catching one.
The recipe I use is basically spicy sauerkraut with a bit of fish sauce and other veggies. There is nothing weird in it to be afraid of. I will try to get some to Yooper so you can try it. I just sampled some and it is starting to sour a bit already. I think it's a good batch!

Someday we'll get together at my place for some fishin'.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:32 AM   #94
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3183 Times on 1990 Posts
Likes Given: 2710

When I was in china I had kimchi every day for breakfast. Not ideal, but you should have seen my other choices. I need to make this someday.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:32 PM   #95
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2035 Times on 1462 Posts
Likes Given: 1115

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschiavo View Post
The recipe I use is basically spicy sauerkraut with a bit of fish sauce and other veggies. There is nothing weird in it to be afraid of. I will try to get some to Yooper so you can try it. I just sampled some and it is starting to sour a bit already. I think it's a good batch!

It's a date!

Old 06-14-2012, 11:03 PM   #96
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4365 Times on 3173 Posts
Likes Given: 849

Quote:
If you're looking for trouble, you could do better than me and Yoop. We do have fun in a lame, old people (she's older than me [jab]) sort of way though.
Quote:
I will try to get some to Yooper so you can try it. I just sampled some and it is starting to sour a bit already. I think it's a good batch!

Well, I'm older than him and he's much better looking. I can easily beat him in a race uphill, though, since he won't put down his beer and cigarettes.

If lschiavo comes out for dinner on Friday, we can make the cost of admission a sample of kimchee so I can give some to Homer on Saturday. But someone has to remind me as older people have memory issues. Plus, I drink.

I'm looking forward to trying this batch! The closest I came recently was spicy pickled sausage and spicy pickled eggs.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:51 PM   #97
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Well, I'm older than him and he's much better looking. I can easily beat him in a race uphill, though, since he won't put down his beer and cigarettes.

If lschiavo comes out for dinner on Friday, we can make the cost of admission a sample of kimchee so I can give some to Homer on Saturday. But someone has to remind me as older people have memory issues. Plus, I drink.

I'm looking forward to trying this batch! The closest I came recently was spicy pickled sausage and spicy pickled eggs.
I don't think many would agree about the better looking part. Not everyone is as attracted to beer bellies as you are If my smokes and beer were at the top of the hill, you wouldn't have a chance...why else would I go up that hill anyway?

I will get some kimchi to the party even if I can't make it and I'm looking forward to the sausage and eggs.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:46 PM   #98
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
I don't think many would agree about the better looking part. Not everyone is as attracted to beer bellies as you are If my smokes and beer were at the top of the hill, you wouldn't have a chance...why else would I go up that hill anyway?

I will get some kimchi to the party even if I can't make it and I'm looking forward to the sausage and eggs.
You had a sample of the sausage already- hopefully it's getting better with some time. But since I didn't let you have an egg (just a sample of the brine), I will gladly let you have an egg in exchange for that kimchee!

And then we can give an honest critique publicly on the forum.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:48 PM   #99
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3183 Times on 1990 Posts
Likes Given: 2710

I'm making kimchi this weekend. I want to sour it a bit.

What temps do you all use? I.e., should I sour it at room temp for a couple of days then refrigerate? Or do you ferment at temps lower than room temp?

Old 06-15-2012, 09:53 PM   #100
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
I'm making kimchi this weekend. I want to sour it a bit.

What temps do you all use? I.e., should I sour it at room temp for a couple of days then refrigerate? Or do you ferment at temps lower than room temp?
I used room temperature, but I think lschiavo uses his fermentation fridge- 65 degrees?

Quick Reply