Old 11-13-2012, 02:21 PM   #11
TyTanium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 542 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij_Kabouter View Post
Our girls eat what we eat everyday or they don't eat. So they pretty much eat everything. ...They don't always eat everything or like everything, but the rule is they need to take 3 bites of everything just to try it before they decide they don't like it. That's how I was raised, and I am happy with my own results so far.
+1 We subscribe to this as well. I find that removing a cop-out sugar answer (e.g., applesauce, yogurt, cereal, etc) improves willingness to eat what's provided. And absolutely no tolerance for a bad attitude. If she doesn't like it, fine, she can say no thank you. But no whining.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 02:28 PM   #12
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

we are that way, too. you eat what we have or you go hungry. sure, I'll put ketchup on it...but if i do, you better eat it. im not making some concoction that nobody'll eat once you decide you dont like it. of course i dont make stuff that i know they hate like fish, but often theres at least one thing that my youngest isnt crazy about. i give him small portions of that so he can more easily "finish" it. if we have any sort of treats, has to eat a prescribed amount of everything on plate first, usually all of the main course and most of any sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 11-13-2012, 04:57 PM   #13
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1900 Times on 1371 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
It's an allergy. My youngest has it, too. If he's even near a pumpkin being gutted, or tries any sort of squash, his gag reflex kicks in. Started when we were carving pumpkins one year. He couldn't be within 6 feet of them. He's fine with sweet potatoes, but no spaghetti squash, etc. Not sure about zucchini.
I think she just didn't like the taste. She's tried a couple of different squashes since then and just doesn't like them. It's because they are all called squash. I bet I could fix up something delicious and call it a squash and she won't eat it.

And to be fair to her, it wasn't a very good dinner that night.

She will eat some odd things but is fairly suspicious of most unusual looking items.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:02 PM   #14
tre9er
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
I think she just didn't like the taste. She's tried a couple of different squashes since then and just doesn't like them. It's because they are all called squash. I bet I could fix up something delicious and call it a squash and she won't eat it.

And to be fair to her, it wasn't a very good dinner that night.

She will eat some odd things but is fairly suspicious of most unusual looking items.
Hmm, must not be the same thing as mine has, then. He literally started gagging after coming near the pumpkins we were carving and has had the same reaction to squashes without us telling him.

Has she ever had squash without knowing it? I'd be interested to know how that goes because I really feel that mine has an allergy based on his reactions.

Quote:
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 11-14-2012, 01:13 PM   #15
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1900 Times on 1371 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

She ate some spaghetti squash with marinara last night. Probably 1 bite. She said it was ok, but apparently not ok enough to eat more of it.

I used to eat coconut as a kid. For a long time I suddenly gagged whenever I could smell it. Couldn't stand it. Now I can eat it in like candy bars, but I really don't prefer to. I can sometimes taste if candy has coconut oil in it.

Even mostly naked girls on a beach is a turn off if they smell like coconut!

Old 11-14-2012, 01:29 PM   #16
tre9er
Recipes 

Weird, mine must have an allergy then because he never expressed that he thought the pumpkin was gross or anything but he was gagging (and was only about 3 at the time, too young to fake it or be dramatic about it).

Quote:

Old 11-19-2012, 06:01 PM   #17
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1543 Times on 1096 Posts
Likes Given: 2411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
She ate some spaghetti squash with marinara last night. Probably 1 bite. She said it was ok, but apparently not ok enough to eat more of it.

I used to eat coconut as a kid. For a long time I suddenly gagged whenever I could smell it. Couldn't stand it. Now I can eat it in like candy bars, but I really don't prefer to. I can sometimes taste if candy has coconut oil in it.

Even mostly naked girls on a beach is a turn off if they smell like coconut!
I'm impressed that she tried even one bite after a bad experience like that.

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 11-19-2012, 06:36 PM   #18
45_70sharps
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

One time when we were at a chinese barf-ay, my 7 year old daughter asked what was in a tray. I told her they were frog legs. She gave the typical yuk reply and we filled our plates and sat down.
It wasn't 5 minutes and she brought up the frog legs again.
She asked if I would eat any. I didn't want any so I said if you do.
She said yes. We both ate some and she wanted more. She keeps asking where we can get them again!

She also doesn't like hot foods. She has tried and liked curry when I'm eating it.

Let's see if I keep this updated!

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

Old 11-19-2012, 06:49 PM   #19
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I've taken my oldest out for sushi for her last 3 birthdays, she's now 12.. she loves all of it.. when she was 3,4&5 all she wanted was green beans.. the second kid (10) all we have to do is smother it in ketchup.. the third one (6) will eat almost anything we put in front of her.. the fourth (4) sits at the table and won't touch anything and usually sits an extra 1/2-1 hour longer whining about finishing but when she was 2 we caught her eating those pill bugs off the patio..lol..

Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia

Old 11-19-2012, 06:56 PM   #20
jsv1204
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Our kids are pretty easy when it comes to food. They are older now (14, 16, & 18). We took a tough love path pretty early on - you will never find a cheese pizza in our house! Tough love for us means that the food is in the table - your choice to eat it or not. No extras if you didn't bother with the food you were served. We never fought about it - the food went away when the meal was over. If you got hungry later, there were leftovers in the microwave. It helps that my wife is an awesome cook! Everyone is allowed one "by" - one thing that they can pick that they never have to eat no matter what.

Weirdest thing? Probably raw oysters. You won't find a lot of kids lining up of those!

Quick Reply