Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > IPA Pickles?!?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2013, 06:57 PM   #21
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

I have a question. I've never made pickles before, but everything I'm reading about pickle making says that after you put the pickles in the jar and pour in the hot brine, you seal the jars, put them in a canning bath and boil them. How come these you don't?

I know there are different types of pickles out there from quick cures to fermented, but if we don't do that step will these not store? I bought enough cukes last night to make 4-6 jars of these things, and I live alone, and probably only my beer geek friends will ever want any of them. So I don't want to end up making 5 jars of eventual dumpers.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 07:03 PM   #22
two_hearted
Hold on to your butts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 42

uh...yum! I'm trying this too. I'll put it next to my kefir, kimchi and sauerkraut that I have fermenting...

Old 02-28-2013, 07:37 PM   #23
Revvy

Recipes 

I guess I found my own answer going back to the original blog this came from.

Quote:
Before anyone gets on my ass, no I didn’t process them. I figured the salt & vinegar was enough to ensure safety, not to mention the fact that I had a feeling they’d be opened & eaten fairly quickly. If you want to process them, then go right ahead. An experienced canner should know exactly how long, etc (as a general rule it’s 10 minutes for pint jars, 15 for quart). However there are a lot of pickle recipes (like this one) that don’t require processing, the lids seal as soon as the liquid/jars cool. I’ve never had a problem with doing pickles this way now & then, but obviously you need to make sure all of your produce is 100% clean and that your equipment is 100% sterilized, and that you’re using white vinegar with 5% acidity. Yes, yes, yes, I know the USDA would have my head for that. But whatever. I’m nothing if not a rebel.
I guess I'm going to be a nervous noob and make sure all my bases are covered and process them.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-28-2013, 07:38 PM   #24
homebrewhaha
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Rev,

I've made pickles a few times and did try a variation on this recipe. I guess you would call these "refrigerator pickles" which, in my understanding, are meant to be kept for shorter periods of time in the fridge.

I've never done true fermented or canning pickles before, but in my experience the amount of sugar and salt in my pickle recipe seems to help them hold up for quite a while (a couple months, at least).

The recipes in this thread don't have the sugar like my standard recipe (I assume because of residual sugar in the beer??) so I can't really say how long they'll hold for you.

Anyway, I'd imagine that If you use canning jars and boil them, you'd be in good shape to stow them away for quite some time. Perhaps someone with more canning experience will chime in here.

Happy pickling!

Old 02-28-2013, 07:46 PM   #25
Revvy

Recipes 

FYI, I just found a version of wet hopped IPA pickles. For those who thought about actual hops in the jars.

Quote:
A trip to the farmer’s market inspired one of our famous brainstorm sessions, which produced some awesome ideas of what I should try. Some were conventional (pickled beets!), some were more a case of me running wild with it (“Caulcannon Pickles”!). You’ll be seeing some of those creations here over the next while! (Edited to add: We now have a whole recipe category for pickling and canning!)

I don’t remember if I was joking or not when I asked my husband if I should create a hop flavored beer pickle. Even if I had been, the way his eyes lit up meant that I absolutely had to make it happen. What a crazy idea, beer flavored pickles!

Well, after a bunch of work designing the recipe – making sure the acid level was right, planning flavors to compliment the style of beer, etc – I was disappointed to learn that Dogfish Head Brewery beat me to it, with their Hop-Pickle from Brooklyn Brine. Boo! I hate it when I have a great idea, only to find that someone got there first!

Anyway, these pickles are fabulous.

Also, they cost a fraction of the ready-made price AND gives you the flexibility of using your favorite brew! I designed this around my husband’s favorite beer – Hopslam – and we used a homebrewed clone version of that beer for this recipe. The hops we chose were ones we grew ourselves – Centennial – chosen because of how the flavor compliments the beer. Garlic, mustard seeds, peppercorns, and jalapenos round out the recipe, all flavors that work well with the beer.

No sugar at all, though – if you’re into sweet pickles, this may not be the recipe for you. These pickles are sour, and as bitter as you want them. You can vary the level of bitterness by adjusting the amount of hops used, and the length of time you boil them in the brine. We used a full oz of “wet” hops, and boiled them for 10 minutes to produce a very bitter pickle – exactly how my husband wanted them. If you don’t subscribe to his “the more bitter, the better!” mantra, feel free to use less hops, and only boil them for a few minutes.

As an idea of yield, we made a double batch of this recipe and ended up with:

- 3 quart jars (2 of whole pickles, 1 of spears)
- 4 pint jars (All as spears)
- 5 little jam jars (All as slices)

I recommend sticking to slices and spears. They look nicer, take up the flavor quicker, and require far less of the liquid. Also? The jam jars of pickle slices would make really great gifts! We’ll definitely be putting another big batch of these on soon, for just that reason!

Extra Hoppy IPA Pickles

2 lbs pickling cucumbers, washed/scrubbed well.
5 cups vinegar (5% acidity)
24 oz IPA of choice (We used a Hopslam clone)
2 cups water
1/2 cup pickling salt
1/2 – 1 oz wet hops (or equivalent dried).*

Per pint jar (2x for quart jars):

1 clove garlic, peeled and smashed
1/4 tsp pepper corns
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 – 1/2 jalapeno, sliced (optional)

Canning Equipment:

Clean, sterilized canning jars & rings
New, never-used, sterilized canning lids
Canning funnel
LARGE pot to process them in
Jar lifter (nice to have, not necessary if you can handle pain!)

Slice your cucumbers into whatever form you prefer – we did spears for pint jars, and slices for little jam jars – they’d make cute little gifts!

Measure your “per jar” ingredients into your sterilized jars, along with one or two hop cones, if using. Arrange your prepared cucumbers into the jars, packing them tightly. If you’d like, cram another hop cone or two down the side – they’ll want to float, so keep that in mind as you position them!

Fill your LARGE pot with at least 6″ of water, put on medium or high heat to bring it to a boil as you prepare your brine.

In another pot (NOT the canning pot!), combine vinegar, beer, water, and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring well to dissolve the salt. Once mixture reaches a boil, add hops and stir well, mashing them around a bit. Allow them to simmer for 5-10 minutes, tasting frequently.

Once mixture has reached your desired level of bitterness, use a slotted spoon to remove all hop cones and stray hop leaves. Bring mixture to a boil.

Use a canning funnel, pour boiling beer brine into prepared jars, leaving about 1/2″ head space. Wipe off the top edges of the jar with a clean, wet towel, top each with a new, sterilized lid, and carefully screw on a clean lid ring. I like to use a kitchen towel for this, the jars are HOT! Carefully place your jars of pickles into the boiling water pot, allow to process for 15 minutes. CAREFULLY remove them, allow to cool overnight.

The next morning, check to make sure that all of the jars achieved a proper seal – try to push down in the middle of each lid. If it “pops”, it did not seal. Any jars that didn’t seal should be put in the fridge and used in the next few weeks.

Leave the jars alone for at least a few days, to allow the flavors to permeate the cucumbers. Store in a cool, dark area (ideally) for up to 1 year, chill well before eating.

Enjoy!

* We used Centennial hops, as that was one that we were growing that would go well with Hopslam / a Hopslam clone. Simcoe would be a great choice, if you’re looking to buy them from a homebrew supply store. In addition to the hops called for in the recipe, I also recommend having a few extra fresh ones – if using fresh – to put in the jars when canning. It looks pretty!

Old 02-28-2013, 08:08 PM   #26
JohnnyO
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 845 Posts
Likes Given: 493

Thanks for posting this. Sounds delicious. Will have to try it out. Have never done any pickling before, but actually ordered seeds last night to plant/grow some pickling cukes this summer.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:18 PM   #27
annasdadhockey
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I bought enough cukes last night to make 4-6 jars of these things, and I live alone, and probably only my beer geek friends will ever want any of them. So I don't want to end up making 5 jars of eventual dumpers.
Believe me when I say this Revvy, once you start eating them, you will continue until they are all gone. A couple of my buddies who made these popped them open after 4 days and ate the whole jar in one sitting.
Add a little extra hot spice and they become really addicting

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc View Post
Things are going great too. I think I've only punched her in the face 3 times!
FERMENTING: Heady Topper Clone?
CONDITIONING: 40 gallons KBS clone in a Jim Beam Barrel (since 11/24/12)
DRINKING: Smoked Robust Porter, Orange Coriander Pale Ale #5
THINKING: first foray into lagers?

Old 02-28-2013, 11:28 PM   #28
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Well, looks like I have another project!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Revvy Likes This 
Old 02-28-2013, 11:35 PM   #29
Revvy

Recipes 

I just stopped at kroger's for more cukes and a mixed sixers of IPAs, Bigfoot, Founder's Centennial, and Ranger- 2 of each, one to make pickles with, and one to drink while making pickles. I'm off for 3 days, so I plan to make these and to brew an ipa, which I'll probably make some more pickles with that down the line.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:15 AM   #30
Revvy

Recipes 

So I was off today, and finally settled in for an Ipa pickle marathon. Not sure what IPA I wanted to do, I decided to do 3 different batches.

Two Hearted (My Fave IPA) Sierra Nevada Torpedo, and Centennial IPA from Founders.

The Gear.

Boiling the pint jars.

Cutting the cukes.

I followed the second recipe's guidelines and brought the vinegar, salt and water to a boil, and killed the heat then added the beer.

Loaded the jars with garlic cloves, pickling spice, dill, peppercorn, mustard seeds, and some dried Thai chillies, that the farmer who I helped butcher his chickens last spring gave me.

Packed in the cukes, and ladled in the hot brine solution.

Did the same brine, then the Big Foot, and later, the Founder's.

Processing the jars.

The finished product, I have enough hoppy goodness for the Zombiepocaplyse....but more than likely my local brew buddies will be getting presents.

Now I gotta wait a week to get to try them...sigh.

People Like This 

Quick Reply