Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > IPA Pickles?!?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2013, 01:51 AM   #101
daveooph131
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts

I'm definitely making these again.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2013, 05:20 PM   #102
fizgig
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 51

My wife was going to the store and I asked her to pickup dill seed and cucumbers for pickling, she came back with full sized ones. It looks like those just make a mushy pickle from what I've read. She apparently has never heard of the small ones, I must have said "for pickling" half a dozen times.

Old 06-08-2013, 05:36 PM   #103
MTate37
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizgig View Post
My wife was going to the store and I asked her to pickup dill seed and cucumbers for pickling, she came back with full sized ones. It looks like those just make a mushy pickle from what I've read. She apparently has never heard of the small ones, I must have said "for pickling" half a dozen times.
Those tiny women brains...what can you do?

Untappd: mtate37 - Untappd Wishlist

Old 06-08-2013, 08:26 PM   #104
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMoore View Post

When I give them as gifts I like to process them since I can't guarantee they'll be eaten in a timely manner. For this I use a little alum and process for 20-30 min at 180°. Anything over 185° supposedly will cause the cukes to break down and become soft.
Hey Juan, I meant to tell you I did an entire flat of pickles (20 jars) and 3 jars of asparagus this way. And except for 3 jars of the pickles not forming a vacuum after (which I thorough into the fridge) what I've tasted so far have all been crisper than when I boil processed them in previous batches.

Thanks.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-10-2013, 02:34 AM   #105
fizgig
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I made some tonight with a few different adjuncts.

image-3530254529.jpg

Old 06-10-2013, 01:08 PM   #106
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizgig View Post
I made some tonight with a few different adjuncts.
Adjuncts? Oh no, you made BMCpickles!

Seriously, what did you make, I'm really curious about the lime one.

Hey, has anyone who's done it with hop cones actually tried eating the pickled hops? I haven't had the guts to try them.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-10-2013, 09:31 PM   #107
fizgig
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Chili lime - 1 small lime, 1 jalapeño, 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, I kinda wanted this one mild-medium

Herb carrot - 3 carrots, basil, oregano, thyme

Garlic onion - 1 small onion, 10 or so cloves fresh garlic, some dried minced garlic

Red Pepper - habenero - habenero hot sauce (1tbsp, it's really hot), 1 red bell pepper, I'll adjust up if needed and or buy some hot peppers

I have some slicing cucumbers in there mainly because my wife accidentally bought the wrong ones and to take up some space. I'll let you know how they turn out, the base recipe was a combo of the first 2 you posted based on what I had on hand.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:04 AM   #108
Bookworm
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Looks interesting. But some of the things people have mentioned are a little scary. If you have not canned before you should do some reading about it. If you are processing for shelf storage, not refrigerator pickles, you should do water bath processing to be safe.

Messing with canning recipes can also be dangerous. Particularly like one person mentioned doubling the beer. If you add things that lower the acidity of the solution it can be a big problem. Water bath processing, maintaining the correct acidity, and getting a good jar seal are what prevent botulism. Botulism kills people!

In some pickle recipes it calls for sprinkling pickling salt on the sliced cucumbers, letting it set for a couple of hours, then rinsing them. It draws out some of the water and helps with crispness and maintaining acidity. You could also buy some pickle crisp and follow the directions.

You can add as much sugar as you like to balance acidity. sugar will not change the acidity of the vinegar solution.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:32 AM   #109
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post
Messing with canning recipes can also be dangerous. Particularly like one person mentioned doubling the beer. If you add things that lower the acidity of the solution it can be a big problem..
You are aware of the fact that beer IS ACIDIC aren't you? So doubling the beer would actually INCREASE, not decrease the acidity of the brine. That's one of the reasons the use of beer in pickles works so well.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:36 AM   #110
ong
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy

You are aware of the fact that beer IS ACIDIC aren't you? So doubling the beer would actually INCREASE, not decrease the acidity of the brine, NOT decrease it.
If you're adding the beer to vinegar, you're reducing the acidity of the solution by diluting it. You have more H+ ions after adding the beer, but bouncing around in a greater volume of water.

Oregonians: trade canned goods, homebrew, fresh produce, and more at chowswap.org!

Quick Reply