The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Indian tacos, Fry bread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2013, 09:27 AM   #1
Dawai
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Indian tacos, Fry bread

My Transplanted Michigan-Amish-country raised wife has learned to make these.. used to be I only saw fry bread at motorcycle rallies in Cherokee North Carolina.. INdian Tacos.. piled high.. My Wife, She even shared one with a Navajo coworker and he ranted and raved on them.

Not sure there is a "healthy" way to cook them other than float them in oil..
THE King-Arthur flour you guys put me onto in the pizza thread sure makes them chewy.. AND sugar-cinnamon sprinkled on them while hot makes a crispy treat that rivals most bakeries..

(I've lost the pictures from last night.. you post one please) Edit found some older ones.

My second wife was Lakota Sioux, she made them for me years ago, I poured pancake syrup on them and she squalled. We never really did understand each other anyways.

(this morning I think I am going French and making crepes)..

fry-bread-indian-taco.jpg   fry-bread-taco.jpg  

Tunnel Hill Ga. I'm a Old biker/construction worker, wore out, tired, relaxing with a homebrew and loving it. Ain't nothing like watching the sun come up over Fort Mountain.

Last edited by Dawai; 08-17-2013 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Found pictures
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2013, 02:10 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1826 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1294

I gotta dig out this recipe for fry bread I found from an old woman who was raised on this res where Apache & Navajo were tossed together. I made tacos with them & the family loved them more than the usual way. Real easy to make & the flavor is perfect with taco stuffins.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:18 PM   #3
smakudwn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

So................whats the recipe?

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Primary 1: Nothing
Primary 2: Nothing
Kegged: American Brown
Kegged: Nothing
Kegged: Nothing

Old 08-20-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Forgot which recipe book I stuck it in. Still trying to find it. Hold on...OK,here it is! Whew,my eyes are tired.
3C flour (she used Blue Bird from Mexico,they all seem to)
3tsp baking powder
1/2tsp salt
Stir dry ingredients together. Stir in 1/2C of regular milk,adding a bit of water till it forms a soft dough. Place in bowl covered & let sit for 20 minutes. This will get the baking powder working so they rise well when fried. Turn out onto floured surface & need till smooth & no lumps,etc. Break off pieces & roll into balls about twice the size of a golf ball.
Melt lard or Crisco in blackened cast iron skillet about 1/2" deep. This gives a better flavor than oil. It has to be very hot,but not smoking. You're basically going to flash fry it. So roll out a ball of dough to 8-10" around. Gently stretch over hands till 11" or so,about the diameter of the cast iron skillet bottom. Don't stretch it too thin,or they get hard. Immediately lay it flat on top of the hot fat. Lift edges with a fork or tongues so the center will lay flat & cook. When it's light golden brown,turn it over without splashing. Kinda like stirin in priming sugar. When golden brown on both sides,place standing on edge in a pan lined with paper towels. This goes faster if one rolls while the other fries them. Serve warm with cooked beans or native taco fillings. Seems to me it made 12 or so. I think carne asada with new mexico chilis,sanoras,& the like cooked in it would be great with these & some cheese.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:41 PM   #5
Dawai
Recipes 

Sorry guys, I never posted our recipe. My wife is going to get gall bladder surgery, first we blamed my cooking, and the home brew.. but no.

Glad someone else.. (that's you UnionRDR) posted a recipe, Thank you

I'll add our version ASAP..

Tunnel Hill Ga. I'm a Old biker/construction worker, wore out, tired, relaxing with a homebrew and loving it. Ain't nothing like watching the sun come up over Fort Mountain.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:29 PM   #6
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

You're welcome. Just addin my 2c,not trying to take it over or anything. Bein the g-g-g-grandson of an Apache chief made me curious finally last year.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:55 PM   #7
jungatheart
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 133

dipped in hot honey and melted butter. Completely cuts the fat and makes them healthy...............

Okay not completely.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:00 PM   #8
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Dude,you ain't lived till you sprinkle that combo with cinnamon sugar! That's another classic combo. I'll be makin native steak fajitas with leftover pit bbq'd steak tomorrow. Pitin' 3 extra steaks for tomorrows dinner. today is 36th anniversary with pit bbq & 3 different home brews. And those lil smokie-stuffed jalepeno poppers! got some fresh picked locally yesterday. They're friggin HUGE for jalepenos...never saw'em this big. Gotta get a pic when they're smoked up a bit...

Old 09-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #9
Dawai
Recipes 

Wife is still down, I am quite busy. I have 12 gallons ready to keg and not had time yet.

Cleaning them stuffed jalapenos.. use the "spoon trick" I used to shell eggs.. bust it down the middle with a kitchen knife, then take the spoon and scoop out the seeds and shell.. done..

I still get hot crap under my fingernails and get it in the corners of my eyes thou..

NOT real sure how the gall bladder being gone from my wife will affect our diet around here.. right now she is eating nothing but toast.. coffee.. and pain pills.

Old 09-01-2013, 05:56 PM   #10
Fuzzymittenbrewing
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1178 Times on 831 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawai View Post
Wife is still down, I am quite busy. I have 12 gallons ready to keg and not had time yet.

Cleaning them stuffed jalapenos.. use the "spoon trick" I used to shell eggs.. bust it down the middle with a kitchen knife, then take the spoon and scoop out the seeds and shell.. done..

I still get hot crap under my fingernails and get it in the corners of my eyes thou..

NOT real sure how the gall bladder being gone from my wife will affect our diet around here.. right now she is eating nothing but toast.. coffee.. and pain pills.
When I had my gall bladder out ( pizza was one of my bad trigger foods) doctor told me after I recovered to go find a good all you eat pizza place lol. Pretty much no restrictions.

Quick Reply