Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Idea for a Beef Tenderloin

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2008, 10:10 PM   #21
zoebisch01
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

But that's not healthy

Just make Tartare. Then you don't need any oils or such. Hehe...but in all honesty, I can't seem to fit low cal eating and a Tenderloin in the same phrase. Save the healthiness for skinless Chicken breast or vegetarian dishes

Actually your initial idea is rather cool in the presentation brainstorm, but the thing is when you cook it, you're not going to be turning it (one turn during the cooking is the right way to go) then the cooking progresses from the bottom up. What you'd have is it cooked one half progressing from the done outside up through to a raw top. If you're like me, no biggie . So it won't really fall into a medium rare/rare classification. It would be like medium rare on half and the top raw.

It would look cool with two of these offset on top of each other, garnished with some baby Cress or something. Oh some Shiitake sauteed in there after you take out the meat would be nice, before you deglaze with your Red wine. The 'lot's of pepper' would fit really nicely. In fact that is how you make Au Poivre. You could do one side 'Au Poivre', but make that the cooked side. This might actually look interesting, or it could look very wierd.

Oh and you'd probably want them sort of thin (like around an inch) and flash cook them. I mean it, in and out if you want to shoot for that look, otherwise it'll look more gray than anything which isn't all that appealing. (I have personally never tried this, so I am just brainstorming here)

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2008, 10:15 PM   #22
flowerysong

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoChef
If you just straight up reduce red wine it'll be sickly sweet and strong, covering up any taste of the beef.
Strong I can see. But sweet? Where's the sweetness coming from?

Old 01-19-2008, 01:52 PM   #23
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerysong
Strong I can see. But sweet? Where's the sweetness coming from?
I dunno, I personally find most wine sweet. I can now tell if it's dry and things like that, but they still seem pretty sweet to me. Add in the concentration of flavours from the reduction.

Just my personal outlook, I suppose.

Quick Reply