Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > I need your Chicken Tikka Masala Recipes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2008, 12:02 AM   #1
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Default I need your Chicken Tikka Masala Recipes

I'm seriously jonesing right now...I just doctored a commercial masala sauce product because I didn't want to cook a long time...but it ain't close to the Bengali or Indian Tikka Masalas...In fact there's no discernable tomato in this sauce...I don't know what's in it...

So HELP ME!!!!!

One of you guys/gals on here has a recipe in your arsenal for this dish...Orfy? Ohio Brit/Laughing Gnome? You Brit's know a thing or two about curries....Do we have any Indians or Bengali brewers here?

Someone? Anyone?

I know it's not REAL Indian food, it's really Glasgow pub grub...but it still rocks!

I know there's a ton of recipes online and I have a killer curry book, but I want a trusted recipe by someone who cooks it often...

SO please hook this junky up...I may have to cook it again this week....

Sigh.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Last edited by Revvy; 10-07-2008 at 12:05 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2008, 05:38 AM   #2
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Here's what I use for an easy pub version.
a Jamie Oliver version.

For the marinade
Blitz the chilli, garlic, ginger and vegetable oil in the food processor. Add the paprika, garam masala and tomato puree, plus the coriander stalks, and blitz again to form a paste. Place the chicken pieces in a large bowl, coat them with the marinade and leave in the fridge overnight.

The next day…
In a little vegetable oil, on a medium heat, fry the onion, peppers and spices in a large saucepan. Cook gently for 10 minutes then add the tin of tomatoes and the yoghurt. Add the chicken pieces and simmer gently for 15 to 20 minutes until cooked. Just before serving, stir through the double cream and chopped coriander leaves.

This is not a Killer recipe but it is an approximation of what you may be served in a very good pub.

When I do Tikka I add yoghurt to the marinade leave in the fridge overnight then bbq it. If I make a sauce I serve it separately rather than as a wet curry.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:17 AM   #3
phissionkorps
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Vindaloo >>>>>>>>>>>>> masala
But when I make masala, I use pre-made powder I bought at an Indian grocery. I just mix it up with some water and a little bit of oil, and bake.

Primary: star thistle traditional mead
Secondary: mango melomel, Biere de Garde, dark strong braggot, oud bruin, Paulaner clone, coffee RIS
Bottled: rye wit, sticke alt, Graetzer, Apfelwein, zeus SMaSH, APA

Old 10-07-2008, 01:37 PM   #4
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

There is a commercial powder available for this that is spot on. If I remember I'll get you the name. I don't make it often because there is an Indian buffet in town that always has it on, along with tons of other really great stuff. But we have made it for company before.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:57 PM   #5
phissionkorps
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The powder I use is Kohinoor. Deep brand products are also delicious.

Primary: star thistle traditional mead
Secondary: mango melomel, Biere de Garde, dark strong braggot, oud bruin, Paulaner clone, coffee RIS
Bottled: rye wit, sticke alt, Graetzer, Apfelwein, zeus SMaSH, APA

Old 10-08-2008, 05:10 AM   #6
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

You do need yoghurt in the recipe to make it "Pukka"

Old 10-14-2008, 11:40 PM   #7
GroovePuppy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If I remember I'll dig out a book that has a CTM recipe (although what you need is a nice Shahi Korma)

If you like UK style restaurant curries you should invest in "The Curry Secret".

Amazon.com: The Curry Secret: Kris Dhillon: Books

I was dubious but it's the closest thing to nailing restaurant style sauces. Make the base sauce and meats in volume and freeze then you can whip up your favorite curries with a few additions in about 15 minutes.

[edit: Read your post more carefully. Sounds like you want the restaurant version. You need the book. All other curry books provide delicious food but no others get close AT ALL to restaurant versions.]

Last edited by GroovePuppy; 10-14-2008 at 11:47 PM. Reason: reread post

Old 10-14-2008, 11:44 PM   #8
GroovePuppy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orfy View Post
You do need yoghurt in the recipe to make it "Pukka"
Since Chicken Tikka Masala was invented in the UK (Chicken tikka masala - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I claim it for Scotland!) I don't think pukka applies. Just make sure you have some Peshwari Naan and beer.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:50 PM   #9
GroovePuppy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

OK, here's the recipe. This will give you a CTM like you'd get in a UK restaurant (albeit that the definition of CTM is wide enough to drive a bus through). The key to the restaurant style curries is that they all use the base sauce, prepared in advance, probably in a large bathtub in the kitchen. For each recipe the sauce is tweaked with different ingredients to give the final result. For authentic Indian dishes (CTM aside therefore) this is not how it's done.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:11 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

WOW GroovePuppy!!! That looks awesome. Exactly what I'm looking for....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply