Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > I like big Butts and I cannot lie!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #1
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2017 Times on 1449 Posts
Likes Given: 1100

Default I like big Butts and I cannot lie!

Put a big Pork Butt on the smoker this morning for this weekend's gathering. I think I really ought to mix up some cole slaw for this weekend to go with it.

I did the usual plain rub but I want to try a Carolina style next time. What style is the plain rub with BBQ sauce added at the finish?? That is what is common up here and pretty tasty. But I remember having a different style down south. You can get pulled pork here without the thick BBQ sauce, but it doesn't have the flavor that I remember having down in KY and WV.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 02:39 PM   #2
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 281 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Carolina BBQ is unique. They love using pork. South Carolina BBQ can be quite complex and heavy on the mustard. North Carolina BBQ is a lot more simple, but to the point, and the sourest of the bunch. They use a lot of vinegar and hot spices. You don't get that sourness from a dry rub. You get it from the mopping sauce or bbq sauce.

A lot of other American BBQ styles like Memphis, KC, etc. combine smoky and sweet with an abundant spices and a heavy tomato/ketchup focus. This style of sauce suits beefy, red meats better I think.

Does that answer your question?

Old 07-18-2012, 03:44 PM   #3
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2017 Times on 1449 Posts
Likes Given: 1100

I found some information online regarding the different BBQ styles. Still not solidly defined, but that's ok.

FYI that pork was a BIG hit. Making a shoulder this weekend for the Guild Wars 2 Beta Weekend at another friend's house. I'll have to leave some home with the family so I'm also preparing some Atomic Buffalo Turds (Bacon wrapped Jalepeno Poppers, grilled.)

I want even more mop sauce and maybe this time I'll make some finishing sauce just to try it.

Quick Reply