Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > I Have Venison...Now what??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2009, 07:14 PM   #31
RayInUT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Is it a whole shoulder with the leg attached? I would marinate the whole thing in a garbage bag for several days with a greek marinade (pepper, coarse sea salt, thyme, lemons and lemon juice, lots of garlic, olive oil, fresh oregano, maybe some rosemary but definately lots of black pepper), you may want to cut some slits in the meat and insert garlic as well. As I said, marinate it for several days in a garbage bag in the refrigerator or garage (it should be cold enough in Michigan to get away with that). Next Friday invite a bunch of friends over, break out the beer, and cook that whole shoulder over hard wood charcoal basting it with the leftover marinade as it cooks slowly. Seve it with rice pilaf, pitas, feta cheese, and a greek salad. It is my favorite way to cook a deer shoulder and tastes almost identical to leg of lamb. The gaminess from the deer translates very well. I only hunt elk now so I haven't had that in a few years (elk shoulder is a little to big to do that unless you shoot a calf). Drink a red zin with it. Seghesio is a great zin.

Reason: Forgot about oregano!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2009, 12:28 AM   #32
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2768 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Ok...thanks to all of you I am eating heaven on earth...

So I found a recipe to make my own creole butter injector marinade, and made up a batch, then shot the hell out of it with my injecter. Then diluted the remainder in beer, lemon uice and olive oil, and stuck it all in a baggie overnight to marinade. Today I chucked it into a baking bag with carrots, onions, celery, oregano and taters and let it roast all day @ 250 degrees...

A little while ago I slit it open and was hit with an amazing aroma..The meat fell off the bones, and everything is sitting in spicy gravy...

I wish you all could come over and eat this huge meal with me...lokks like I'll have leftover creole venison stew for a week...sigh

All this needs is something like an ipa or my centennial blonde, which I'm out of...

And shunoshi I found the mesquite lime marinade...so THAT's Gonna Be for the other shoulder...venison fajitas in a couple weeks

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-05-2009, 04:47 AM   #33
nystevecf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Revvy if you didnt break down the shoulder yet let me know. I have to butcher my deer in the morning and I can take pics for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Ok...thanks to all of you I am eating heaven on earth...

So I found a recipe to make my own creole butter injector marinade, and made up a batch, then shot the hell out of it with my injecter. Then diluted the remainder in beer, lemon uice and olive oil, and stuck it all in a baggie overnight to marinade. Today I chucked it into a baking bag with carrots, onions, celery, oregano and taters and let it roast all day @ 250 degrees...

A little while ago I slit it open and was hit with an amazing aroma..The meat fell off the bones, and everything is sitting in spicy gravy...

I wish you all could come over and eat this huge meal with me...lokks like I'll have leftover creole venison stew for a week...sigh

All this needs is something like an ipa or my centennial blonde, which I'm out of...

And shunoshi I found the mesquite lime marinade...so THAT's Gonna Be for the other shoulder...venison fajitas in a couple weeks

Old 01-05-2009, 05:08 AM   #34
BrewinJack
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

alright revy you might try this... get yourself a good steak, not to thick but as wide and flat as you like. then Dry rub it with a mix of fresh ground peper, finnly choped onion, garlic pepper, some oregano, and some corn meal... then get a bakeing pan big enough to put you slab in and in the bottom of it underneath your slab butter the pan, stick it in the oven on low heat about 375. Get a spary bottle and hit your slab with a good marinade (its simple enough to just use about an ounce or two of tyerokie and tobasco in about 16oz of warm water) then spary it on your rubbed slab when ever you think it will get dry while its cooking. Venison should always be cooked as close to completely as you can my meat thermometer says 200 so i listen, or it should be slow cooked for sevral hours.... When it reaches temp let the corn meal brown up with out sparying on and serve with some mashed potatos with fresh venison gravy and good heavy butter milk roles... try this with beef and youll have a heart attack when your done, but with venison you run little risk of that.

Also venison borritos, tacos, nachos... makes great pizza sausage... other then that... let me know how that shoulder turns out... if you havent borken that down yet you might breaking into a section like pot roast and chucking it into a pot with about 6 pealed roaster potatos, some garlic, some portobello mushrooms, and if you like a bit of zing chopped jalapeno... add two cups of water in the pot and se the over to 350 and check the water level every 30 minutes or so until done... use the drippings at the bottom of the pan (what little there will be) as gravy for those potatos and bingo... damn now im hungry... can i come over?

Cheers

"I wish i could give all my genrals a bottle of what he's drinking..." Honest Abe

"On the 8th day God created Bars"

Primary:
Ginger mead (3 Gal)
Edworts Apfelwine (5Gal)
Australian Lager (5gal)

Secondary:
Operation "Black Gold" (High ABV) (5 Gal)

Bottled:
Carmel Stout
Stright Juice Cider
Apple/Blue berry/ale

Old 01-06-2009, 09:17 PM   #35
NJTomatoguy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Deer Recipes