Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > I Have Venison...Now what??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2008, 12:15 AM   #1
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Default I Have Venison...Now what??

I was given a couple of pounds of ground Bambi and a few nice looking steaks

I haven't had venison in over 20 years (In fact I pretty much learned to cook several different styles like Blackened Cajun Cooking with venison.) But that was half a lifetime ago.

So I don't know what to do with my score...

I guess I could do some chili with the ground...but any ideas for the steaks??

I kinda figure with my luck it will be another 2 decades before I get any more, so I want to do something nice.

Also if you have great "Chili con Bambi" recipes I'd appreciate them.

Edit if you are reading this in 2009, go to my last post where I bumped it up.
YUM!!!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2008, 12:18 AM   #2
Tenchiro

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Rub it with a little olive oil, sea salt and fresh ground pepper and throw it on the grill over some hickory wood. Cook it six minutes per side, let it sit for 10 minutes after you pull it from the heat and serve it with a baked potato or salad or something.

I mean umm, I have heard some horror stories about tainted venison this year. Better ship it to me for safe disposal.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:30 AM   #3
jamescb77
Recipes 

send it to me and ill take care of it

Primary 1:air
Primary 2:air
Secondary:Air
Bottled: air
Up Next:not really sure
Enjoying:AIR:(
working on upgrading to electric if someone would liek to brew me some i would be more than happy to pay for all the ingredients and come help out. Let me know if your near Vincennes Indiana

Old 06-12-2008, 12:37 AM   #4
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
Rub it with a little olive oil, sea salt and fresh ground pepper and throw it on the grill over some hickory wood. Cook it six minutes per side, let it sit for 10 minutes after you pull it from the heat and serve it with a baked potato or salad or something.

I mean umm, I have heard some horror stories about tainted venison this year. Better ship it to me for safe disposal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescb77 View Post
send it to me and ill take care of it
NO!!!!

(I've been promised venison by people for 2 decades....but after they promise me they always seem to have bad hunting streaks...I was beginning to think I was a jinx or something....I did a homebrew tasting for this guy a couple weeks back-He's one of the faulty members of the med school-and he delivered on his promise...and he loved my beers...so If I keep supplying him, then just maybe.)

Wow Tenchiro, I never expected something so simple...I always hear people marinading in strong stuff to kill the gaminess....hmmmm

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-12-2008, 12:46 AM   #5
Ooompa Loompa
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
NO!!!!

Wow Tenchiro, I never expected something so simple...I always hear people marinading in strong stuff to kill the gaminess....hmmmm
I agree, although I haven't the slightest clue what you should marinade with. All the deer steaks I've ever had that were cooked like mentioned above were too gamey for my tastes......edible, but not very good. And as far as the ground stuff goes I think chili would be an excellent use.
Drinking: Super Shpadoinkle Blonde Ale

Old 06-12-2008, 12:57 AM   #6
Tenchiro

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
NO!!!!

(I've been promised venison by people for 2 decades....but after they promise me they always seem to have bad hunting streaks...I was beginning to think I was a jinx or something....I did a homebrew tasting for this guy a couple weeks back-He's one of the faulty members of the med school-and he delivered on his promise...and he loved my beers...so If I keep supplying him, then just maybe.)

Personally I like the flavor of venison, and with any good cut of meat I tend to keep it as simple as possible. With poor cuts of meat I am all about the marinades however.

EDIT - For marinades, people seem to favor Worcestershire/soy based marinades for venison. If you do go that route I would still cook it over Hickory though.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:51 AM   #7
r2eng
IPA - it's all about the burps
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts

Whatever you do, do not over-cook the steaks. Remove the fat, and as said above, rub with olive oil.

I am an avid hunter, and all venison is tasty: Deer runs the most chance of being gamey. Elk and moose are best!

Basically, any typical steak marinade or rub works well, and I always use a bit of sage and celery salt. A nice fresh cherry, blackberry or blueberry sauce made with a bit of vinegar works nicely, too.

Just did that with some moose loin... yum!

Eric

Old 06-12-2008, 01:54 AM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2eng View Post
Just did that with some moose loin... yum!

Eric

Drool!!!!!!!

(thanks for the tips)

Old 06-12-2008, 02:16 AM   #9
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Man, what kind of cuts do you have anyway? I cook all my cuts differently. You said "steaks"...but what kind? I'm a huge fan of venison backstrap medallions sauteed rare with a port-cranberry pan sauce. But short of that, just like everyone else said, do NOT overcook it. Rare is best. Overcooked venison is like chewing on a baseball glove because there's virtually no fat on the bastids. If you have a roast, then a crockpot long-slow braising is excellent. Make a stew or a chili with any cuts you want to turn into stew chunks, they work very well. And don't worry about the gameyness...it's minimal as long as it's not over- or under-cooked, and the gameyness you do get is actually very GOOD! Drink it with a nice cabernet franc from the Loire valley. werrrrd.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 06-12-2008, 02:21 AM   #10
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
Man, what kind of cuts do you have anyway? I cook all my cuts differently. You said "steaks"...but what kind? I'm a huge fan of venison backstrap medallions sauteed rare with a port-cranberry pan sauce. But short of that, just like everyone else said, do NOT overcook it. Rare is best. Overcooked venison is like chewing on a baseball glove because there's virtually no fat on the bastids. If you have a roast, then a crockpot long-slow braising is excellent. Make a stew or a chili with any cuts you want to turn into stew chunks, they work very well. And don't worry about the gameyness...it's minimal as long as it's not over- or under-cooked, and the gameyness you do get is actually very GOOD! Drink it with a nice cabernet franc from the Loire valley. werrrrd.

Arrrgh....I just looked at the package and they're just labeld "steaks."

Quick Reply