Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Cooking & Pairing (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f56/)
-   -   how long do you brine? (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f56/how-long-do-you-brine-368489/)

BillBeer247 11-18-2012 01:12 AM

how long do you brine?
 
how long do YOU usually brine for? the recipe i was looking at said the night before...but i was thinking of putting the turkey in the brine tomorrow until thanksgiving(4 days)

passedpawn 11-18-2012 01:16 AM

I brine my turkey overnight. I'd be interested to hear if longer is better. Mine has come out great in the past, but greater is better :)

Yooper 11-18-2012 01:21 AM

Normally, 24 hours but last year it was a bit longer. This year, I'm going back to 24 hours, though, since I can (with my work schedule).

OG2620 11-18-2012 01:24 AM

I'm going to brine for 72 hours this year.

FastAndy 11-18-2012 01:26 AM

Slightly off topic......


Anyone care to share a brine recipe? I am just doing a single turkey breast this year.

jmcquesten 11-18-2012 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by passedpawn
I brine my turkey overnight. I'd be interested to hear if longer is better. Mine has come out great in the past, but greater is better :)

Can you share your brine mix? I tried brining a few years ago, but I wasn't fully committed (didn't trust it/afraid of extra salty turkey) and only soaked it 10-12 hrs. I want to do it right this time, and we are cooking 2 turkeys so we'll have a backup. The brined one will be fried, backup will be traditional slow roasted in oven. For some reason, I thought the brine time was supposed to be at least a day or two, but I've found several different recommendations online so I'm not sure. Any info/experience is appreciated.

bquirolo 11-18-2012 01:34 AM

Brining is a very powerful tool in a kitchen. I would not brine for four days depending on how much salt is added to the brine it can make the meat very salty.

The brine I used at Masa's in San Francisco was

1 gallon/ 4 liters water
1 cup/ 225g salt
1/2 cup/ 125g sugar

And the seasoning that would be used for the pork, bird or whatever other type of protein I maybe serving that day.

The time on a turkey depends largely on the size of the bird
10-15lb/ 4-7kg turkey will be 24hrs
15lb/ 7kg and over will be from 24hrs to 36hrs.

And if you like brined birds a 2lb chicken is 3hrs

If you have questions on suggested spice I would be more than happy to answer that one as well keep in mind a gallon of water is just enough to cover a 2lb chicken and not much more than that.


The basic spice blend for a one gallon batch of brine which I use at home and not in the restaurant is

25g thyme
25g parsley
2 ea bay leaves
1 head garlic halved
1 onion sliced
30g black pepper

1) I will bring half my water content to a boil with the spice, salt and sugar.
2) And pour over ice (1g=1ml for water) I will weight out my ice and chill the solution
3)when the solution is chilled all the way I will brine my protein for the proper amount of time.

passedpawn 11-18-2012 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmcquesten (Post 4599750)
Can you share your brine mix? I tried brining a few years ago, but I wasn't fully committed (didn't trust it/afraid of extra salty turkey) and only soaked it 10-12 hrs. I want to do it right this time, and we are cooking 2 turkeys so we'll have a backup. The brined one will be fried, backup will be traditional slow roasted in oven. For some reason, I thought the brine time was supposed to be at least a day or two, but I've found several different recommendations online so I'm not sure. Any info/experience is appreciated.

I go with Alton Brown.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...pe2/index.html

I've added peppercorns and some other spices (I think star anise and crushed coriander), but I think I'm just doing it simple this year.

BillBeer247 11-18-2012 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by passedpawn (Post 4599765)
I go with Alton Brown.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...pe2/index.html

I've added peppercorns and some other spices (I think star anise and crushed coriander), but I think I'm just doing it simple this year.

i guess Alton has several recipes, i was going to go with this Altons brine:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

passedpawn 11-18-2012 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillBeer247 (Post 4599814)
i guess Alton has several recipes, i was going to go with this Altons brine:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

Thanks! That's the exact one I used last year. I was looking for that.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:31 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.