Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > How bout some stout gravy... anyone?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2007, 10:06 PM   #11
Sean
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 33

In my opinion gravy should not be too refined. So when I make 'gravy' I don't worry too much about the details. I make Tasso gravy in large batches, and freeze it. When you thaw it you have to bring it to a low simmer and skim a bit, but other than that it freezes great. And because it is gravy I just thicken it with a slurry of flour. A bit unrefined, but that is what gravy is about.

Measurements are a bit rough because I just use what is on hand.

1 lb Tasso diced
5 or 6 cloves of garlic, smashed and chopped - use fresh
1/2 stick of butter
2 - 2.5 quarts of stock - lighter, because the tasso has a lot of flavor
16 oz of stout
Flour

Melt the butter in the pot, add the garlic, stir it around a bit, add the tasso, cook it about 3 or 4 min, till it gets a bit soft, add the beer, and the stock, bring to boil.

Mix about 1-1/2 cups of flour in a bowl with water until it is about the consistancy of elmers glue. The thickness is not that important, just not too thin.

Have someone else hold a strainer over the pot while you add the flour slurry to the boiling gravy, through the strainer, while stirring with your other hand. You just have to stir while you thicken otherwise you get lumpy gravy. you will not use all the mixture, just watch it thicken and stop when you have the consistency you want.

Boil for a minute or two and season with S&P or the herb of your choice. Don't let it boil too long or the fat from the tasso, and the butter will seperate out. if it does, just skim it off.

This is a great full flavored gravy. Try to get Aidell's Tasso, Paul Prudolm's is saltier and fattier. It sounds odd, but lamb holds up really nice to this gravy, because of the full flavor of the meat.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply