Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > "Homemade" pizza for dinner tonight...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2009, 01:05 AM   #11
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschatz View Post
Alright damnit.

I'm getting tired of all of these incredible homemade pizza threads. I stay thristy, hungry, and poor... You're killing me.
You know it's very cheap to make your own bread, including pizza dough. Of course I buy my flour in 25# bags for $7 at Costco, so that helps, too.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2009, 01:04 PM   #12
SpanishCastleAle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Bobolis taste good but they are sort of unique/different.

I worked in a pizza joint when I was a teenager (late 70s/early 80s). I didn't learn any recipe for dough or sauce but here's a few things they did there that I can remember:

They had a chart for ambient temp/humidity vs. water temp. It was very important to use this chart because the difference in that kitchen between August (very hot/humid) to January (mild/less humid) made a ginormous difference in the pizza dough. I know for a fact they used a mixture of ice and water during the summer.

The first dough 'rest' was as a mass...not as individual portions. Then after that first rest...the dough was cut into portions and immediately 'rolled'. 'Rolling the dough' involved folding the outer surface into the interior and you basically kept doing it until it got firm but not 'ripping' the outer surface as you folded it. Then onto lightly oiled sheet pans, covered with plastic wrap, then into the fridge overnight. It looked like a slightly flattend ball when it went onto the sheetpan and would further flatten out a little to form a domed/disc looking thing.

This place had the best crust. The pan pizza was to die for.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Last edited by SpanishCastleAle; 08-04-2009 at 01:06 PM.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:20 PM   #13
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2035 Times on 1462 Posts
Likes Given: 1115

One hour until lunch, and I had to stop by here and see what was going on. I'm stupid.

Now I have to make pizza tonight.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:19 PM   #14
jpc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by menschmaschine View Post
Is that because it uses all-purpose flour? There is less gluten in all-purpose flour than in bread flour. Here's a quote from a chef website:
No. In fact, I use high-gluten flour for mine, but the same holds true-- in order for the gluten to form, the flour needs to be properly hydrated. It's similar to concrete curing-- the longer time it takes, the longer the chains gets.

Here's a link to the web page in question. I will forewarn you, though-- this is one of the worst web site layouts I've seen in my life. If you can get over it, there is a wealth of information on recreation of the quintessential New York pizza. I will also warn you that this guy is certifiably insane in his quest to make the perfect pizza, even going so far as to make his own mozzarella cheese (different passion, perhaps, but if he were a homebrewer, he'd fit right in with most of us). As a true zealot, he has opinions on things that you may or may not agree with (hot-side aeration, anyone?), but if you can get past it you'll learn a ton. At least, I did.

Go to this page:

Jeff Varasano's NY Pizza Recipe

and search for "Check out many more photos at the bottom." Start reading there.

Quick Reply