The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Homemade hot sauce recipes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2013, 06:19 PM   #11
martiniw2olives
The Wolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
martiniw2olives's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 131
Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default

This is my house hot sauce. I got this recipe off the Internet somewhere, so I can't take credit for it. This has allot of heat and goes well on most everything. Enjoy!

1 tbsp olive oil
1 cup chopped carrots
1/2 cup chopped onions
5 cloves garlic, minced
6 habanero peppers, stems removed
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup lime juice
1 tbsp lime zest
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 tomato
sea salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Heat the oil in a sauce pan over medium heat. Cook and stir the carrots, oil, onion, and garlic in the hot oil until soft, about 10 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a blender or food processor. Add the habanero peppers, water, lime juice, vinegar, tomato and lime zest to the blender/processor and blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste, transfer the mixture to a saucepan and simmer for 3-5 minutes. Simmering at the end gives the sauce a more liquid consistency.

__________________

"How about you, Lash LaRue? You think you can keep your spurs from jinglin' and janglin'?" Winston Wolf

martiniw2olives is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2013, 07:44 PM   #12
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
AZ_IPA's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Cold Part of AZ
Posts: 41,741
Liked 5984 Times on 5252 Posts
Likes Given: 673

Default

Whipping some up right now:

4 dried habaneros
2 dried ghost peppers
10 dried arbol peppers
1/2 tsp. Aji amarillo powder
1 c. chopped carrots
1/2 c. vinegar
3/4 c. tomato juice
8 garlic cloves
3/4 tsp. pickling salt
3/8 tsp. Xantham gum

Simmering right now. Smells amazing!!

__________________
AZ_IPA is offline
martiniw2olives Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2013, 09:05 PM   #13
Gixxer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 930
Liked 119 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Default

Alright... Found the recipe... Those of you that look at the recipe and think it will be too sweet, that is not really the case. It's very balanced. between the fruit, vegetal pepper flavor, sugar, and vinegar. If you are afraid it will be too sweet then cut back on the sugar.

Peach/pineapple habanero sauce...
Makes about 6 cups or so...
1 large can sliced peaches in juice, not syrup
1 small can pineapple chunks
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp minced garlic
1 medium white onion, diced
2 jalapenos, cored and seeded
15-18 habaneros, cored and seeded
4TBS sugar
1/4C cider vinegar
1/4-1/2C water

In a large saucepan, (big enough to hold all contents), lightly oil the pan and saute the onions, garlic, habs, and japs till onions are translucent, then add peaches and pineapple (both with juice), along with rest of ingredients. Simmer uncovered for maybe 20 min (VENTILATION OF THE KITCHEN IS KEY!!! Or cook outside). Cool batch enough to safely put in the blender. You can blend it till its perfectly smooth or leave it kinda chunky. We leave it kinda chunky but whatever works. Bottle using whatever method you are comfortable. I normally give it a week before I start using it regularly, but the flavor changes slightly over time.

__________________
Drinking Oaked Wee heavy, The Kaiser clone, Graff, , Sour Cranberry Ale
Carbing/Aging Westy 12 (2013),
In the bucket Chocolate stout, Westy 12 (new world)
On Deck Pumpkin Ale 2014, FBS clone, Port oaked amber, Old Rasputin Clone, 15% RIS
Gixxer is offline
dog_gone Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 01:00 AM   #14
Tiber_Brew
It's about the beer.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Tiber_Brew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: U.P., Michigan
Posts: 1,927
Liked 73 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
Alright... Found the recipe... Those of you that look at the recipe and think it will be too sweet, that is not really the case. It's very balanced. between the fruit, vegetal pepper flavor, sugar, and vinegar. If you are afraid it will be too sweet then cut back on the sugar.

Peach/pineapple habanero sauce...
Makes about 6 cups or so...
1 large can sliced peaches in juice, not syrup
1 small can pineapple chunks
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp minced garlic
1 medium white onion, diced
2 jalapenos, cored and seeded
15-18 habaneros, cored and seeded
4TBS sugar
1/4C cider vinegar
1/4-1/2C water

In a large saucepan, (big enough to hold all contents), lightly oil the pan and saute the onions, garlic, habs, and japs till onions are translucent, then add peaches and pineapple (both with juice), along with rest of ingredients. Simmer uncovered for maybe 20 min (VENTILATION OF THE KITCHEN IS KEY!!! Or cook outside). Cool batch enough to safely put in the blender. You can blend it till its perfectly smooth or leave it kinda chunky. We leave it kinda chunky but whatever works. Bottle using whatever method you are comfortable. I normally give it a week before I start using it regularly, but the flavor changes slightly over time.
Doesn't look "too sweet" to me! Habeneros go very well with fruit! I've made a Habenero hot sauce that had mango and peach in it. Turned out awesome. I'm not always in the mood for a rich hot sauce, so I don't make something like that very often. However, that goes great on hot wings, taco salad, and in a chicken marinade. Thanks for sharing!
__________________
On tap:
1. Porter 2. Kentucky Common 3. IPA 4. Pils 5.[Nitrogen] Dry Stout
Primary:
1. Dry Stout 2. Dry Stout 3. Cali Common 4. Cali Common 5. none 6. none
Secondary:
1. Brett Ale 2. none 3. none 4. none
Bottled:
About 58 gallons of beer & 4.2 gallons of mead
Kegged & conditioning:
Imperial Bourbon Barrel Oatmeal Stout x2, Belgian Dubbel, German Pils (lagering), Oatmeal Blonde x2
Tiber_Brew is offline
Jayhem Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 07:22 PM   #15
mathin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 141
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I have a simple recipe I make:

4 habañeros
2 red bell peppers ( 3/4 pound), roughly chopped
5 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
3/4 cup distilled white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt.

Simmer until soft (may need to add more vinegar). Then purée.

__________________
mathin is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 07:27 PM   #16
Jayhem
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Culpeper, VA
Posts: 2,561
Liked 254 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 1156

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathin View Post
I have a simple recipe I make:

4 habañeros
2 red bell peppers ( 3/4 pound), roughly chopped
5 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
3/4 cup distilled white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt.

Simmer until soft (may need to add more vinegar). Then purée.
This is what I love about hot sauce....

It's impossible to botch a recipe so long as you have the key ingredients present and enough acidic additions to keep the pH low enough to preserve it!
__________________

Next up: English Pale Ale (ESB)
Primary 1&2: White Zombie (Amarillo IPA)
Primary 3&4: Summer Kolsch
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Amber Rain (Dry Hopped Amber Ale), SM Belgian Golden Strong

Jayhem is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #17
Weezy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Weezy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 979
Liked 129 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Default

Man, these look great fellas! I've never tried.making hot sauce, but these sound too good not to try. I'll be at the grocery store this weekend for sure! I have tried making a wing sauce...honey jalapeño. A local joint has it as a wing sauce. Its stellar and I can't seem to replicate it.

__________________
Weezy is offline
Jayhem Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2013, 02:11 PM   #18
DougK
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DougK's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,154
Liked 125 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
Whipping some up right now:

4 dried habaneros
2 dried ghost peppers
10 dried arbol peppers
1/2 tsp. Aji amarillo powder
1 c. chopped carrots
1/2 c. vinegar
3/4 c. tomato juice
8 garlic cloves
3/4 tsp. pickling salt
3/8 tsp. Xantham gum

Simmering right now. Smells amazing!!
Any reason to use dried peppers instead of fresh? Since you mention simmering it, it probably isn't to kill any nasties the peppers may have.

I'm going to have some ghost peppers, Scotch bonnets, Trinidad scorpions and Carolina reapers in my garden this year. Not sure yet what I plan to do with them beyond drying and powdering a bunch.
__________________

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested.

DougK is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2013, 04:49 PM   #19
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
AZ_IPA's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Cold Part of AZ
Posts: 41,741
Liked 5984 Times on 5252 Posts
Likes Given: 673

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougK View Post
Any reason to use dried peppers instead of fresh? Since you mention simmering it, it probably isn't to kill any nasties the peppers may have.

I'm going to have some ghost peppers, Scotch bonnets, Trinidad scorpions and Carolina reapers in my garden this year. Not sure yet what I plan to do with them beyond drying and powdering a bunch.
They're available year round as dried. You rehydrate with a soak in boiling water before making it.
__________________
AZ_IPA is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2013, 03:58 AM   #20
Braufessor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
 
Braufessor's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NE Iowa, Iowa
Posts: 1,539
Liked 331 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Default

I usually end up with about 5 gallons of Habenaro's every summer and I am a big fan of this:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/bobs-ha...--liquid-fire/

I also do a smoked pepper sauce. Basically smoke a 5 gallon bucket or more of peppers..... mainly red bells, or red sweet peppers.... but also about 25-35% cayenne, red jalapeno, red Habenaro, etc. Then, after a couple hours on the smoker throw it in a blender, boil it down with vinegar, water and salt. Can it - basically a great pepper sauce (salsa like) for eggs, pastas, meatloaf, fish, etc.

__________________
Kegged/Serving: Dortmunder, Bo-Pils, Nugget Nectar Clone, Citra IPA, One Hearted Ale, Heady Topper Junior, Scottish 70, British Dark Mild
Bottled
: Barley Wine, Sour Belgian Golden on Cherries
Primary: Ordinary Bitter, Bourbon Barrel Imperial Porter
Secondary: Bo-Pils, Sour Cherry Stout,
Future Brews: German Pilsner, Dortmunder, Porter, APA, IPA, British Dark Mild, More...... More....... Beer.......
Braufessor is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Homemade beef jerky recipes? britishbloke Cooking & Pairing 12 05-15-2014 02:39 PM
Looking for homemade barbecue sauce recipes hawkeyes Cooking & Pairing 31 09-14-2013 10:49 AM
Hot death sauce recipes BadMrFrosty Cooking & Pairing 2 01-21-2013 02:02 PM
Recipes for homemade sodas! gabiwhit Soda Making 2 07-07-2011 04:07 AM
Homemade Brandied Cranberry Sauce rflem550 Cooking & Pairing 0 11-18-2007 02:38 PM