Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > homeBarbequeSauceTalk

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2007, 01:46 AM   #21
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewtopia
This is mine. I took a couple of jars out to Denver with me and it seemed to go over well. I love it personally. Naked Spur Smoked Porter Beer-B-Q Sauce
Prolly the best one I've ever tasted, and I am PICKY about my BBQ sauce. I'm glad I got to bring a jar of it home, because bird is coming this weekend and I plan on throwing a Boston Butt in the smoker in the morning and cooking it all day Saturday while we brew. I can't wait. I've never smoked one before, should be interesting.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2007, 03:12 AM   #22
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewtopia
This is mine. I took a couple of jars out to Denver with me and it seemed to go over well. I love it personally. Naked Spur Smoked Porter Beer-B-Q Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
Prolly the best one I've ever tasted, and I am PICKY about my BBQ sauce. I'm glad I got to bring a jar of it home
I second that!
This is easily the best barbecue sauce I have ever tasted!

Cheers,
Rich

Old 07-03-2007, 02:37 PM   #23
razyrsharpe
Recipes 

Default Peach Habanero BBQ sauce

this is one i made two days ago and it turned out fantatic!

Peach Barbecue Sauce
Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 whole medium onion, chopped
3 cups chopped peeled peaches (about 4 large)
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups beer (do NOT use stout or porter)
1 cup regular mustard
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
3 tablespoons white vinegar
2 chopped habanero peppers (remove seeds)

Preparation
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add peaches, black pepper, salt, and garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Stir in beer and remaining ingredients, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes. Place half of mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure lid on blender. Place a clean dish towel over opening in blender lid (to prevent spills). Process until smooth. Pour pureed mixture into a medium bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining mixture.
Note: Refrigerate sauce in an airtight container for up to 10 days.
Yield
5 cups (serving size: 1/4 cup)

Old 07-03-2007, 11:10 PM   #24
attitude

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Man i love this site. Glad i joined. Alot of these sound great. i have a dry rub for steaks that everybody seems to like , has a lot of pepper. Ill look later and post as soon as i find.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:53 PM   #25
FishBone
Recipes 

I like this one.
1 ¼ cups ketchup

1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce

1/3 cup lemon juice

1/3 cup packed brown sugar

1 tbsp. yellow mustard

¼ cup water

1 clove garlic – crushed

¼ cup butter

drippings from brisket or ribs

combine all of the ingredients except butter and drippings. Simmer over low heat for 1 hour stirring occasionally

Stir in the drippings and cook for 15 minutes longer.

FishBone

Beer drinking makes me happy

Old 07-22-2007, 09:24 AM   #26
Focus
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have an excellent "basic" dry rub that I have tweaked over the last year or so. I'll post it later when I get home (at work at the present)

I say it's "basic" because it's got all the good stuff you want - salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, brown sugar, etc. - in relatively equal quantities and is pretty good on it's own, but you can kick it up any way you like. If you like a little heat, add an extra tablespoon of cyanne. If you like yours sweeter, add an extra tablespoon of brown sugar.

I haven't ventured into sauces yet, but it's an area of great interest to me. I think that with some work I can make sauce as good or better than most store-bought types. And specifically tailored to what I like (I find many of the store-bought brands have a little much black pepper for my taste).

Focus

Upcoming Projects: Return to brewing!
The Online Brewery: www.twospooks.com (Recently, and completely renovated. Stop by, sign the guestbook, and leave some feedback!)

Old 07-30-2007, 05:30 AM   #27
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage
I like ketchup, but it has its place...and it doesn't belong in BBQ sauce!
Not true! You can take the drippings from your brisket after letting it rest for a good 20 mins (should be a fair amount) and combine it with plain 'ol ketchup! The spices from your rub and mop sauce will automatically give it a good kick. If you want more, just add some Texas Pete or Frank's.

Old 07-30-2007, 05:33 AM   #28
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drouillp
For a good roasty garlic flavor into the sauce take a couple heads of garlic, drizzle em in olive oil, and bake em on a cookie sheet or sit em in the grill on low heat on top of some foil until they are completely soft.

Let them cool enough to hold them in your hands. Grab the head, turn it upside down, and squeeze the hell out of it. Youll have a nice roasty garlic paste. Wonderful.
You can also use this method with a nice pork tenderloin! Add some lime juice and fresh cracked black pepper to the mix and slather it on the tenderloin....you can bake/smoke/grill it however you want from there. Easy and awesome!

Old 07-30-2007, 05:36 AM   #29
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoobarb
Damn, that sounds tasty! I love to roast garlic, just like you described!

One of my go to sauces, too. I've tried making my own before but, like you, I end up liking some of my favorite commerical ones better. Rendevous, Oklahoma Smokers, Gates', Robinson's, Bandana's, Stubb's and Maull's (not so great, too ketchup-y) are in my fridge right now.
"Sweet Baby Ray's" makes an awesome sauce (I like the spicy style)....you can use it as a base for your own sauce, but honestly, there really isn't any room to improve. It's pretty good!

Old 07-30-2007, 05:41 AM   #30
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus
I have an excellent "basic" dry rub that I have tweaked over the last year or so. I'll post it later when I get home (at work at the present)

I say it's "basic" because it's got all the good stuff you want - salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, brown sugar, etc. - in relatively equal quantities and is pretty good on it's own, but you can kick it up any way you like. If you like a little heat, add an extra tablespoon of cyanne. If you like yours sweeter, add an extra tablespoon of brown sugar.

I haven't ventured into sauces yet, but it's an area of great interest to me. I think that with some work I can make sauce as good or better than most store-bought types. And specifically tailored to what I like (I find many of the store-bought brands have a little much black pepper for my taste).

Focus
I am very familiar with this rub....you're the first in the thread to even mention paprika! It forms an awesome base for the rub. If you have a spice mill ( coffee grinder dedicated to spices) you can toast mustard seeds in a pan and then grind them....that adds amazing flavor to this rub! Same thing with chipotle chiles; just grind them fine and add! Amazing flavor...I'm telling you!

Quick Reply