*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > The Home Made Pizza Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2013, 12:40 AM   #231
TrickyDick
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I think my sourdough cultures are unhappy... left them in fridge too long. I hope to revive them... bummer. Well, maybe I can try using regular instant yeast. Dunno, I might like it better without the hassle of the sourdough..

TD

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #232
Evets
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 95

You could try washing it, just like beer yeast. I've never done it myself though.
Nothing wrong with dry yeast. It's just not sourdough. Have you tried fresh/cake yeast? I think that works and tastes great. It can be a little hard to find in small quantities.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:11 PM   #233
TrickyDick

Recipes 

I am going to try to wash it. I am going to dump the hooch and skim the pellicle and then take a single tablespoon from the center of the culture and try to start a new culture. With the remaining, I am going to wash per the instructions in the classic sourdough book. I need to get on a feeding schedule so as not to forget to feed the cultures.

Worst case I order a new culture of dried yeast, but I rather doubt that will be necessary.

TD

Old 05-08-2013, 12:57 AM   #234
kman6234
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFinDuMonde View Post
Here is the final resting place for my new wood fired oven. I'm only posting it to show that this oven is perfect for those of us with small yards. One of the best purchases I've made in a long time, we use it all the time. Another benefit of its small size is that it heats up real quick.

The Farmhouse Table I made from salvaged shipping pallets.
Rd
-Mike

Awesome backyard and oven!

On Deck: Jamil's Evil Twin
Primary: N/A
Conditioning:Bohemian Pilsner
On Tap:Win-Sane IPA #3, Double Minor Dubbel

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
-Dave Barry
LaFinDuMonde Likes This 
Old 05-08-2013, 01:01 AM   #235
Olive Drab
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Is anyone using a wet yeast sourdough slurry to make their dough? If so, can you walk me through the proces sof starting/maintaining one? I've been using regular bakers yeast from the 1lb pack for the past few years.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:03 AM   #236
kman6234
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Here's another ny style pie I made last night. Still need work on stretching the dough thinner and being able to launch it into the oven. My pies tend to be either thicker than they should be or stuck to my pizza peel...

image.jpg  

On Deck: Jamil's Evil Twin
Primary: N/A
Conditioning:Bohemian Pilsner
On Tap:Win-Sane IPA #3, Double Minor Dubbel

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
-Dave Barry
headbanger Likes This 
Old 05-08-2013, 01:18 AM   #237
TrickyDick

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olive Drab
Is anyone using a wet yeast sourdough slurry to make their dough? If so, can you walk me through the proces sof starting/maintaining one? I've been using regular bakers yeast from the 1lb pack for the past few years.
HAH! I am no expert for sure. The book classic sourdoughs by Ed wood is the book that tells you all this. Then there is the experience factor.

In a nutshell
Obtain culture
Feed culture periodically to maintain health.

When its time to bake, build a starter with the culture and pitch it into your flour mixture, substituting some flour and water for the slurry or poolish as some call it.

Handle your dough per usual and then bake.

Meanwhile, feed your culture and store in fridge. If your countertop is cool enough or you have a cool cellar that's fine too.

Occasionally , the lactobacillus in the culture become to populous relative to the yeast. Then you need to wash the culture by diluting the bacteria (and yeast) and create environment that favors yeast reproduction. (This is where my cultures are,)

You need to give them attention and food or they will do this. Regular use and temp control can help. I am still on the learning curve.

Good luck

Old 05-08-2013, 01:20 AM   #238
TrickyDick

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman6234
Here's another ny style pie I made last night. Still need work on stretching the dough thinner and being able to launch it into the oven. My pies tend to be either thicker than they should be or stuck to my pizza peel...
I bet it still tastes good though. Keep up the work.

I saw on diner drivethroughs and dives this guy in San Diego hand tossing 18" pies and twirling on back of his hand with instant yeast and high gluten flour. Didn't give recipe on show. But customers raved about dough.. Practice practice practice

TD

Old 05-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #239
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1641 Times on 1234 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

On Bobby Flay's Throwdown (bear with me) He went up against this Hardcore Italian Pizza chef and I learned some AWESOME tips.

(Yes 2003 wants it's effing show back, suck me)
http://www.foodnetwork.com/throwdown...zza/index.html
SO.....this world famous pizza chef does 2 things that have made my pizzas better.

Monterrey Jack.......the mexican mozzerella. NO JOKE. I know more than a few are rolling over in their graves, but for most pizzas, Jack makes them better. I especially like it on spinach and bacon or ham pizzas, but it is fine on any pizza. Only one I like low moisture mozz or the buffalo are neopolitan/bruschetta JUST basil tomatoes cheese type simple pizzas.

RAW BACON/pancetta, etc. Bacon or ham that needs to crisp up should be put on top of the pizza RAW and cold.

My favorite is to just lay strips of bacon right across the pizza, over the cheese. Maybe 3 strips for a large pizza, not overlapping at all.

No file pics of the bacon, sorry.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:54 PM   #240
Cromwell
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 132

So, you just need to make your own pancetta, grow your own tomatos/basil, make the sauce, make the dough, cook the pizza in a brick oven, and have with a homebrew. Easy peasy.

Pellet grills only go to 500 (the good ones). I take it brick ovens go much higher? Does that mean the pizza just takes longer to cook, or that the crust won't be crispy?

Primary: Beer / Secondary: Beer / Lagering: Old beer.

Quick Reply