Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > The Home Made Pizza Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2012, 01:24 PM   #11
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1669 Times on 1167 Posts
Likes Given: 2847

I love making pizza but I have botched more dough than not. I have to admit that now I generally buy dough from the local pizza place for $3. Its almost a no-brainer.

The absolute worst pizza I ever made was a mushroom con fit pie. It was like pizza soup!!

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

pumpkinman2012 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2012, 01:43 PM   #12
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Pizza making is almost as fun for me as beer making. The reward for biting into a well constructed pizza is awesome.

I've been trying for the better part of 3 years to make better than average pizza. I've got the dough, sauce, and the cheese blend pretty well to my liking. It's the shaping of the crust that's maddening to me, though I'm getting better.

I wish i could put out a pizza as handsome as Evets. He is the Yoda of pizza making 'round these parts.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:24 PM   #13
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1642 Times on 1235 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

My rule on dough is just ALL DAY.

Pizza tonight? GREAT!! I make dough after breakfast. I put it in a big crock pot that I plug in for 30 seconds. (barely warm, not HOT) it should be pliable but barely dry enough to not stick to my fingers. Cover with olive oil. Take it out at least once (4 hours) and just work it a little to get the C02 bubbles out. More often if you can, but it isn't critical.
If it is too sticky at this point work in a little more flour. Dry? olive oil.

If your tossing and pulling skills lack as mine do, no shame in rolling the dough (one crust at a time, not the whole thing) on a floured cutting board.

My dough recipe is:

some warm water
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp yeast
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tbsp olive oil, bacon grease, or butter (bacon grease is best by far)
some flour (until not sticky)

mix the warm water, yeast, and sugar (hmmm.......somehow familiar) and let it get a little foamy. Whisk in oil and then mix in flour (I use a butter knife to scrape the sides) until dry enough to lump together and not stick.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:51 PM   #14
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1020 Times on 680 Posts
Likes Given: 28

The only dough I've been happy with so far is after a 5-7 day fridge ferment. I can't make a one day stuff taste right.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 04-23-2012, 02:55 PM   #15
SenorPepe
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
The only dough I've been happy with so far is after a 5-7 day fridge ferment. I can't make a one day stuff taste right.
That's really interesting. I always use Peter Reinhart's method, which includes a 1-3 day fridge ferment. I usually do somewhere between 1.5 and 2.5 days. He has 3 days as an upper limit; I wonder if I could go safely for 5-7 days.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:44 PM   #16
Evets
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 99

I've had great results with Reinhart's recipe. 5-7 days should be no problem, but you might want to knock the yeast amount and the hydration back a little bit.
Here are some old pictures of a couple Reinhart dough pies I baked some time ago.

p.r.n.y.potatoe-015.jpg   p.r.n.y.potatoe-016.jpg   p.r.n.y.potatoe-018.jpg   p.r.n.y.potatoe-034.jpg  

Old 04-23-2012, 03:48 PM   #17
SenorPepe
Recipes 

Those pies look beautiful. The crumb in that second picture looks perfect. I've got the dough-working down but my shaping and topping skills leave much to be desired. Time to practice.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:01 PM   #18
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1642 Times on 1235 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

I say EFF the shape. Oblong pies look more like they came out of an old italian's brick oven.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:06 PM   #19
SenorPepe
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon3 View Post
I say EFF the shape. Oblong pies look more like they came out of an old italian's brick oven.
I know that trick .That's my breadmaking approach when elaborate shaping or equipment is required. I don't have a damn couche. Rustic baguettes!

Old 04-23-2012, 04:11 PM   #20
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1020 Times on 680 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorPepe View Post
That's really interesting. I always use Peter Reinhart's method, which includes a 1-3 day fridge ferment. I usually do somewhere between 1.5 and 2.5 days. He has 3 days as an upper limit; I wonder if I could go safely for 5-7 days.
Let me clarify. I never intend for them to go that long but that ends up being when I can finally make the pies. I finally learned to make up about 20 balls and put them in the freezer right away. The problem is that you still need to time the thawing out so that they sit at fridge temps for a few days. I end up mistiming those as well. Who knows if limiting to 3 days would be better. I should try it.

Holy crap, I have to go eat something.
Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply