Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Henckels Knives

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2008, 07:23 AM   #1
rustang64
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Henckels Knives

Only slightly off topic but I'm thinking of investing in a new set of Henckels Twin Pro S kitchen knives and was wondering if anyone would know of where to find good deals. I have looked at the usual Macy's, Linens N Things, Crate & Barrel and on amazon.com so far. Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2008, 02:54 PM   #2
scotsmn30
Recipes 

I have seen these on ebay as well for a really decent price but watch the seller. I am a bit of a chef myself and used Henckel knive and loved them but personally found that I like Furi knives a touch better so you may take a look at those as well. Both run about the same price.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:28 PM   #3
Chad

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Can I offer a suggestion? Skip the Henckels. They're not great knives. If you like the heavy German style, Messermeister makes a much better knife. The Meridian Elite and San Moritz Elite are comparably priced with Henckels and Wusthofs but have much more comfortable handles and significantly better factory edges. The Messermeisters also have partial bolsters, which makes sharpening them easier. They're a little harder to find at Towels'n'Such but if you shop online, Chef Depot and Epicurean Edge carry them at reasonable prices.

If you are not married to the heavy German style, MAC knives are lighter, faster, harder and sharper right out of the box and will stay sharper a lot longer than the comparatively soft German steel. MACs can be found at some Sur la Table stores or online at Epicurean Edge and Knife Outlet. The Professional series is the way to go.

I realize that people have very strong opinions about their knives, but having just spent the last couple of years researching and writing about kitchen knives (see my signature block), I have some insights that might help.

Chad

www.chadwrites.com

Old 01-13-2008, 04:15 PM   #4
Dr Vorlauf

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I like my Henkels but I hate sharpening them. Good thing we still have professional knife sharpeners around here.

Veritas vos Liberabit

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefmike View Post
Dr. Vorlauf.... you are a scary, scary man. Kimchee?!!

Old 01-13-2008, 04:27 PM   #5
Chad

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Vorlauf
I like my Henkels but I hate sharpening them. Good thing we still have professional knife sharpeners around here.
Dr. Vorlauf, you may be more fortunate than you realize. Are you near Alburtis, PA? If so, you have one of the best knife sharpeners in the business nearby. Dave Martell of D&R Sharpening is about as good as it gets and is one of the few people in the US I can unreservedly recommend. His mail order knife sharpening services, especially his upper tier sharpening, is the secret weapon of a lot of professional chefs.

Chad
www.chadwrites.com

Old 01-13-2008, 06:22 PM   #6
rustang64
Recipes 

Thanks for the advice all, I'm gonna have to look harder at the other brands, particularly MAC. I definitely have to hold them in-hand for the final test and havent found any MAC dealers around. I guess I'll have to look harder.

My parents have the old henckels Twin Four Star set which is pretty much why I had looked at those. they have had the same set since before I was born and Henckels always has been great about their warranty.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:35 PM   #7
Dr Vorlauf

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad
Dr. Vorlauf, you may be more fortunate than you realize. Are you near Alburtis, PA? If so, you have one of the best knife sharpeners in the business nearby. Dave Martell of D&R Sharpening is about as good as it gets and is one of the few people in the US I can unreservedly recommend. His mail order knife sharpening services, especially his upper tier sharpening, is the secret weapon of a lot of professional chefs.

Chad
You have got to be kidding me!!! He is only 3 miles away and I had no freaking idea.
If I was not going to get snow tomorrow I would bring the whole set down.

I know how to sharpen a regular knife ( you could shave with it ) but the ultra hard steel just is beyond my skill level.

SWMOB likes cutting on hard surfaces

Veritas vos Liberabit

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefmike View Post
Dr. Vorlauf.... you are a scary, scary man. Kimchee?!!

Last edited by Dr Vorlauf; 01-14-2008 at 01:37 AM.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:46 PM   #8
SuperiorBrew
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad

Chad
I will be sending him a few tomorrow. Cant wait to read your book Chad, Thanks for the lead.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:02 AM   #9
Short Drive
Brewer Baseball!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've seen video of Dave teaching sharpening on You Tube. Dave is also a regular contributor here on the Knife forums. The site is partial to Japanese knives.

Good hunting.

Al

Magic Bus Brewery

Old 01-14-2008, 02:20 AM   #10
Professor Frink

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

When it comes to knives, you sure better listen to Chad, he knows his stuff.

Chad - we bought the GE Adora dishwasher today, looking forward to trying it out when it's installed this week.

On tap:Amber Ale
Milk Stout

Lagering:

http://www.lazydogbrewery.com

Quick Reply