Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Green Beans with Accidental Garlic

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2013, 12:30 PM   #11
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 785 Times on 547 Posts
Likes Given: 2084

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
When I was in college I lived at one point in a townhouse with a kitchen. Soon I started experimenting, watching cooking shows... and making a mess. Being a mostly broke college kid, if it was even vaguely edible, I ate it. This recipe is the result of a happy accident.

Warning: it is not diet food, and would get any culinary student summarily expelled.

1 pound fresh green beans, haricots verts, or chinese longbeans cut to 4-5" long
1/2 a head of garlic, chopped as fine as a n00b homecook can chop
kosher salt
olive oil
1 packet Sazon Goya
1 40 oz bottle of malt liquor of your choice

1) put up a pot of salted water and bring to a boil.
2) Add your washed green beans and allow to cook until they are techno-color green.
2.5) Drink malt liquor.
3) Drain and use the same pot (you only own one freaking pot) to sautee your garlic in way more olive oil than you really need. Crank the heat to high and take a phone call from that girl Kendra. The one who you will later find out used to snort No Doze.
4) come back to garlic that is brown (but not black) and crispy.
5) PANIC
6) Throw in your still-wet green beans and hop back as the oil spits. Turn down the heat and stir everything together with a wooden spoon until the green beans get a wrinkly skin.
7) Remove from heat and pour everything into a big plate (or a platter if you arent a college student).
8) Sprinkle Sazon Goya over the whole thing.

I am now 32 years old and have pulled off pate, brazed oxtail and quiche. What do I still make about once ever 3 months with a roast chicken and rice? These green beans.
FINALLY had a chance to try your recipe Creamy, only took 9 months to find the Sazon. I tried to stick to the recipe, but I ended up doing a couple of things differently:

I used dark sesame oil as I didn't have enough EVOO.
I used a wok to stir-fry
I had some yellow crookneck squash I needed to use before it went bad, so I sliced it up & tossed in with the beans.
I only used about 4 medium sized cloves of garlic
After adding 1 packet of the Sazon, it seemed like it was a very mild flavour, so I added another packet.

Turned out to be VERY TASTY! I added the 1st packet of Sazon while still stir-frying, so it sort of stuck & thickened a wee bit, adding just the right amount of caramelization, with just a wee hint of a bit of carbonization here & there.

When I 1st opened the spice packet, I could smell what I thought was cumin, but the flavour was much more mild than I expected from the aroma from the packet. Oddly enough, I didn't taste any cumin when I was eating those tasty beans.

I can see where the addition of green onions, mushrooms, maybe red bell pepper would be good. A 3rd spice packet might be tasty too. Next time I'll use camelina oil for an added fresh/green flavour. If you've never tried camelina oil, I highly recommend it.

Thanks for the recipe Creamy, I didn't exactly run with it (yet), but I did sort of take it for a walk down the block a little.
Regards, GF.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:06 PM   #12
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1613 Times on 1137 Posts
Likes Given: 2697

Glad to hear GF! Also glad to hear you were able to find Sazon. It's pretty versitile, and I put it on an awful lot of things. I also rub the skin of a chicken with it before roasting.

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply