Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Finally, a good use for BMC! COOKIES!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2009, 11:29 PM   #1
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 631 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Default Finally, a good use for BMC! COOKIES!

...or...how to extract malt flavor from Coors Light!

Adapted from the recipe found here. The original intent was apparently a cookie that captures the essence of a Belgian witbier. It caught my eye, so I thought I'd whip up a batch...with a few changes. The results were REALLY good. SWMBO loves 'em! Here's my variation (of note, no salt or vanilla is required):

2 bottles/cans (12 ounces each) light beer (I used Coors Light)
4 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon molasses
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/2 medium orange, zested
1/2 large lemon, zested
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
12 oz package of white chocolate chips

Reduce the beer, honey, and molasses over medium heat until you have about 1/3 cup of liquid. Use a wide saucepan to speed the process (it takes a while). Watch for boiling over initially, just like you would when brewing. The aroma will go from crap light beer to stale crap light beer and finally to a rather sweet malty smell. You'll know you're close to being done when it begins foaming again. Mine started foaming at 1 cup remaining, and I reduced it to about 1/2 cup. I reserved 1/3 cup for the cookies, and the remaining little bit ought to make a great ice cream topping! Allow the reduction to cool to room temperature.

Preheat oven to 350°F. Cream the butter, sugar, egg, and beer reduction together. Add the zest and spices. Add the flour and baking soda to form a cookie dough. Fold in the chocolate chips.

Drop by rounded teaspoonful onto a cookie sheet and bake for about 15 minutes. Let them cool slightly before removing them from the sheet.

Enjoy!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2009, 11:54 PM   #2
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

cool thanks for posting and deffinitly for the pics. Ill have to try this one soon. I have a new use for my crappy beers now as well as leftover BMC

Old 01-05-2009, 12:03 AM   #3
BrewinJack
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

ohhhhh.... i never thought of beer cookies but damn those look good... I put malt in my cookies to get that malty flavor but its such a problem to get the right consistancy and every malt is differnt it adds at least 25-30 mins to getting the right mix and it normally ruins at least a dozen cookies... this would reduce the hastle imensely and yuo could simply choose a more malty beer if you wanted more of that taste... oh yeah

Cheers

"I wish i could give all my genrals a bottle of what he's drinking..." Honest Abe

"On the 8th day God created Bars"

Primary:
Ginger mead (3 Gal)
Edworts Apfelwine (5Gal)
Australian Lager (5gal)

Secondary:
Operation "Black Gold" (High ABV) (5 Gal)

Bottled:
Carmel Stout
Stright Juice Cider
Apple/Blue berry/ale

Quick Reply