Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!


Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Fat Squirrel Satay
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2007, 07:21 PM   #1
Madtown Brew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 259
Default

This is pretty OT, but I tought I'd put it here instead of starting a new thread in the correct section.

I found a old newspaper article with a recipe for a grill baste made with Fat Squirrel. Apparantly the recipe is part of the book "Grilling With Beer: Bastes, BBQ sauces, Mops, Marinades and More Made with Craft Beer," by Lucy Saunders.

Fat Squirrel Satay Baste

2 teaspoons yellow thai curry paste
1 teaspoon grated ginger
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 C creamy peanut butter (natural ground is best)
2 tablespoons minced garlic
4 oz. coconut milk
4 oz. Fat Squirrel nut brown ale

Mix all ingredients in a sauce pan and simmer on low heat until peanut butter is melted. remove from heat and allow to cool until lukewarm. If necessary, pureee in a blender on high until smooth. Use immediatly.

*article was printed in the Wisconsin State Journal on 6/22/07

I haven't tried it myself but it looks pretty yummy. A bit late for the grilling season though.

__________________
Fermenting:
rye farmhouse ale
Oktoberfest
flanders red
Kegged:
Oktoberfest
Madtown Brew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2007, 08:16 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 61,790
Liked 4663 Times on 3387 Posts
Likes Given: 917

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madtown Brew
This is pretty OT, but I tought I'd put it here instead of starting a new thread in the correct section.

I found a old newspaper article with a recipe for a grill baste made with Fat Squirrel. Apparantly the recipe is part of the book "Grilling With Beer: Bastes, BBQ sauces, Mops, Marinades and More Made with Craft Beer," by Lucy Saunders.

Fat Squirrel Satay Baste

2 teaspoons yellow thai curry paste
1 teaspoon grated ginger
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 C creamy peanut butter (natural ground is best)
2 tablespoons minced garlic
4 oz. coconut milk
4 oz. Fat Squirrel nut brown ale

Mix all ingredients in a sauce pan and simmer on low heat until peanut butter is melted. remove from heat and allow to cool until lukewarm. If necessary, pureee in a blender on high until smooth. Use immediatly.

*article was printed in the Wisconsin State Journal on 6/22/07

I haven't tried it myself but it looks pretty yummy. A bit late for the grilling season though.
Wow- this is great! I just had my husband take a look- and we have ALL those ingredients at home right now. This looks awesome!

Thanks!
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2007, 08:17 PM   #3
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Bernie Brewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Eldorado, WI
Posts: 7,539
Liked 116 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madtown Brew

A bit late for the grilling season though.


Huh???? You live in Wisconsin, for crying out loud!!!! Where we tailgate at Lambeau in January!!!! My friend, it is ALWAYS grilling season.
__________________
I like to squeeze the nickle until the buffalo craps-mt rob

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett
Bernie Brewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2007, 08:22 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 61,790
Liked 4663 Times on 3387 Posts
Likes Given: 917

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Brewer
Huh???? You live in Wisconsin, for crying out loud!!!! Where we tailgate at Lambeau in January!!!! My friend, it is ALWAYS grilling season.
You southerners better not wimp out, for crying out loud.

We Yoopers up in da nort grill even when it gets cold. It isn't cold yet, only 15 below this morning. So, get grilling!
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2007, 08:28 PM   #5
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
RichBrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 5,761
Liked 84 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Default

Hey! I have that book. The author was signing copies at the NHBC last June. I think I'll try that one. I will be using a different nut brown in it though because I doubt I can find Fat Squirrel.

__________________

Cheers,
Rich

RichBrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2007, 09:03 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 61,790
Liked 4663 Times on 3387 Posts
Likes Given: 917

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBrewer
Hey! I have that book. The author was signing copies at the NHBC last June. I think I'll try that one. I will be using a different nut brown in it though because I doubt I can find Fat Squirrel.
I'm sending you some FS when I get the beers together for you. New Glarus beers are great, so let me know if there are any other kinds that look good to you. I like Road Slush, which is a nice oatmeal stout. If you're not into stouts, though, I'll put together some others. Just let me know!
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2007, 09:21 PM   #7
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Bernie Brewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Eldorado, WI
Posts: 7,539
Liked 116 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper Brewmistress
I'm sending you some FS when I get the beers together for you. New Glarus beers are great, so let me know if there are any other kinds that look good to you. I like Road Slush, which is a nice oatmeal stout. If you're not into stouts, though, I'll put together some others. Just let me know!

+1. I hate stouts, but Road Slush is awesome. Maybe it is because it is an Oatmeal Stout, and that cuts the roasted flavor just enough. Road Slush- Excellent beer!
__________________
I like to squeeze the nickle until the buffalo craps-mt rob

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett
Bernie Brewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2007, 09:26 PM   #8
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
RichBrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 5,761
Liked 84 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper Brewmistress
I'm sending you some FS when I get the beers together for you. New Glarus beers are great, so let me know if there are any other kinds that look good to you. I like Road Slush, which is a nice oatmeal stout. If you're not into stouts, though, I'll put together some others. Just let me know!
That would be great!
Those all sound awesome! I definately trust your jugement!
__________________

Cheers,
Rich

RichBrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2007, 09:32 PM   #9
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Bernie Brewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Eldorado, WI
Posts: 7,539
Liked 116 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Hey Yoops, why don't you get him a holiday pack??? A little of everything, and already packaged for travel. Just a thought............

__________________
I like to squeeze the nickle until the buffalo craps-mt rob

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett
Bernie Brewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2007, 09:37 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 61,790
Liked 4663 Times on 3387 Posts
Likes Given: 917

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Brewer
Hey Yoops, why don't you get him a holiday pack??? A little of everything, and already packaged for travel. Just a thought............
If the store I go to has it, that's a great idea!
I'd also like to get some Lakefront, Sprecher, and/or Capital, too.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All-Grain - Fat Squirrel clone Yooper English Brown Ale 91 09-27-2014 09:38 PM
Fat Squirrel Clone Yooper Recipes/Ingredients 39 09-19-2014 01:59 PM
Squirrel Catapult! johnsma22 General Chit Chat 15 03-14-2007 07:39 AM
Crazy Squirrel Denny's Evil Concoctions Label Display & Discussion 9 11-02-2005 11:16 PM