Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Fast, help recommend an awesome side dish

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2014, 05:07 AM   #1
podz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 123

Default Fast, help recommend an awesome side dish

My wife and I are leaving in a few hours to go spend the night with some friends of ours who own a large island. When we go there, we always have a large, nice dinner with at least 6 adults at the table followed by an evening of sauna and drinks. As my grilling skills are legendary among our circles, I will be in front of the grill and my wife will be in the kitchen making the sides.

I've got a four and a half pound slab of boneless rib-eye, a two pound box of langostino (huge, whole prawns) and two large eggplants all for the grill. Also got two bottles of Zenato Valpolicella wine.

Still, it seems like something is missing. Some side dish, or dips / sauces. These people probably wouldn't touch anything with any sort of chili kick to it... And my wife and I are low-carb.

What would you add? Lime aioli? Anchovy butter? Avocado-mango salad? Let's see your suggestions!

We'll be on the boat in 4 hours, but we can still purchase ingredients right up to that time.

There's a fungus among us.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2014, 05:28 AM   #2
bwarbiany
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 505 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I don't know if they've caught on in Finland, but roasted Brussels sprouts are big here right now, and would go really well with that menu.

Roast them along with some pancetta, oil & vinegar, maybe a little lime juice on top, and some bleu, gorgonzola, or goat cheese crumbled on top.

Something along these lines: http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/p...-with-pancetta

Old 07-26-2014, 05:29 AM   #3
bwarbiany
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oh, and by the way, I just *love* to start conversations with "oh, we're going to be hanging out with our friends who own a large island."

Old 07-26-2014, 05:46 AM   #4
podz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwarbiany View Post
I don't know if they've caught on in Finland, but roasted Brussels sprouts are big here right now, and would go really well with that menu.

Roast them along with some pancetta, oil & vinegar, maybe a little lime juice on top, and some bleu, gorgonzola, or goat cheese crumbled on top.

Something along these lines: http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/p...-with-pancetta
Oh yeah, that sounds good! We eat them now and then. I usually fry them in creme-fraiche and butter, but this sounds even better.

Old 07-26-2014, 05:56 AM   #5
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 417 Times on 302 Posts
Likes Given: 232

Since you're going to be manning the grill anyway, why not some grilled veggies? Asparagus is a perennial favorite, especially with some evoo, lemon, salt, and freshly ground nutmeg.

Butternut squash, onions, corn, bell peppers, and beets could work well, too. The sky's the limit, really. Get whatever looks fresh.

Don't worry, be hoppy.

Old 07-26-2014, 05:58 AM   #6
podz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwarbiany View Post
Oh, and by the way, I just *love* to start conversations with "oh, we're going to be hanging out with our friends who own a large island."

Damn, I stopped my sentence short. A large island with a well stocked liquor cabinet and enough beer to get a whale drunk.

It's a cool place. They've got a main house, a guest house, an eating gazebo next to a small cliff overlooking the sea, and a nice sauna. And, of course, a big grill.

I got a life jacket for my dog. When we tried it on, she was wondering what the hell is going on now?

Old 07-26-2014, 06:01 AM   #7
podz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuldTuborg View Post
Since you're going to be manning the grill anyway, why not some grilled veggies? Asparagus is a perennial favorite, especially with some evoo, lemon, salt, and freshly ground nutmeg.

Butternut squash, onions, corn, bell peppers, and beets could work well, too. The sky's the limit, really. Get whatever looks fresh.
I've already got those two eggplants. Hey, we've got fresh red garlic in the stores now. Maybe I could put some that there on the grill.

Oh, I'm starting to get hungry.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:19 AM   #8
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 417 Times on 302 Posts
Likes Given: 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by podz View Post
I've already got those two eggplants. Hey, we've got fresh red garlic in the stores now. Maybe I could put some that there on the grill.

Oh, I'm starting to get hungry.
Hells yes. Roasted garlic, eggplant, and some rustic bread? Heaven.

Don't worry, be hoppy.

unionrdr Likes This 
Old 07-26-2014, 08:14 AM   #9
bwarbiany
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

There better be some pictures!

Old 07-26-2014, 11:17 AM   #10
kkramer56
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Avocado Grapefruit salad - you can google it, there are a few versions. Some include other things like lettuce and shrimp. Avocado and Grapefruit go together very well. Nice starter and refreshing.

Quick Reply