Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Epic Pizza

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2010, 10:01 PM   #31
jpc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 46 Posts

In case anyone is interested, this is the best place I've found to learn about all things pizza:

pizzamaking.com

In particular, the Lehmann dough calculator for making NY-style dough is spot-on; the calculator is based on this recipe. I use a slightly modified technique to bring the dough together, but it's more or less the same.

One other site that is helpful as well is Jeff Varasano's pizza page, but it's a bear to read due to the format of the page. Lots of good info in there!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2010, 10:17 PM   #32
marubozo
I can has homebrew?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5369 Times on 5227 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
Oooh yeah... cast iron skillet FTW!! +1
Why have I not thought of this myself? I use my cast iron skillet for damn near everything but I never thought about making a deep dish pizza with it. Brilliant! That's going to be next on my list of things to try

Old 05-27-2010, 01:19 PM   #33
DeusInnomen
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
Oooh yeah... cast iron skillet FTW!! +1

I grew up in the Chicago area, and got spoiled eating the deep dish "butter crust" fat bombs with chunky tomato sauce glooped on top.
The stuff is amazing, especially with the right beer.
I didn't even think to use the cast iron skillet, but that makes perfect sense to me - will get perfect even heat distribution (not to mention, can take higher heat levels just fine).
Semolina flour is also a fantastic idea - I've made semolina bread a few times and I just love the texture.
I haven't made pizza in a very long time, but you guys have given me some great ideas.
+42 to Chicago-style pizza.

Actually, cast iron is the same way my wife makes her breads nowadays. She just tosses a 5 quart cast iron pot straight into the oven to pre-heat it, adds the dough when it's ready, then bakes it in the pot. Out pops perfectly awesome bread every time. (She makes a fantastic pale ale beer bread, and uses the same technique to make bread over the camp fire.)

Old 06-04-2010, 05:24 PM   #34
RatCity
Recipes 

If you guys haven't seen this already, thought I would point out this great article about pizza dough in the NYT:

The Slow Route to Homemade Pizza

All about the best doughs around, yeast starters, slow rising the dough, etc., sort of a perfect fit for a homebrew beer nerd :-)

Just got a pizza stone for my bday...am pumped to use it this weekend!! Pairing with a Flat Tire clone from MWS. Mmmmmmm.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:24 PM   #35
McCall St. Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Will a gas grill work for making NY style pizza?

I have tried for years to get pizzeria quality crust at home. I use a stone and a peel and bake my pizzas at 550 F., the hottest my oven will go. I have perfected my tomatoes and my toppings, but still have a long way to go with the crust. It seems that one of the biggest things is to have an oven that is hot enough. My gas grill gets really hot if I crank up the burners to full and close the top. Could I put my pizza stone in it and use it for pizza?

Old 06-04-2010, 07:29 PM   #36
MBasile
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Here's mine, I just need to source better cheese (I've been happy with the trader joes sauce).

•8 ounces of malty beer - usually a maibock, or Rogue DGA
•1.5 cups bread flour
•1.5 cup all-purpose flour
•1 tablespoon sugar
•1 tablespoon brown sugar
•1 teaspoon salt
•1/2 tablespoon italian herbs
•2 tablespoons cheese
•1 packet of yeast
•Olive oil - brushed on to crust before cooking and let sit for 15 minutes.

Cook it at 550˚ on a stone for 4 minutes before adding sauce and toppings, then add everything and do it for another ~4 minutes (this is because I make my crust thick)

Up next: beer
Fermenting: beer
Conditioning: and more beer

Total gallons in 2012: 10

Old 06-04-2010, 07:30 PM   #37
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3001 Times on 2955 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCall St. Brewer View Post
I have tried for years to get pizzeria quality crust at home. I use a stone and a peel and bake my pizzas at 550 F., the hottest my oven will go. I have perfected my tomatoes and my toppings, but still have a long way to go with the crust. It seems that one of the biggest things is to have an oven that is hot enough. My gas grill gets really hot if I crank up the burners to full and close the top. Could I put my pizza stone in it and use it for pizza?
Check out pizzamaking.com. You might have problem using the stone on a gas grill but 550-600 over should be fine for a NY style.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 06-04-2010, 07:42 PM   #38
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCall St. Brewer View Post
Getting NY style pizza crust requires a high gluten flour. King Arthur's bread flour works well. If this is not available, gluten should be available in the baking section of your local grocery store. The gluten lends elasticity to the dough and in turn allows it to stretch thin. I've also taken to a cold rise for the dough.

I use this recipe for my dough

http://www.hungrycravings.com/2008/10/pizza-dough.html

For pizza on the grill, try this pan...

http://www.lehmans.com/store/Kitchen...___P14P3?Args=

It's expensive, but we use ours for EVERYTHING!

Quick Reply