Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > El Cheapo Smoker Purchase

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2008, 01:35 AM   #11
Jim Karr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

The greatest recipe for BeerCan chicken comes from (and the greatest representative of the craft) is John Kass from the Chicago Tribune. Go to the Tribune's website and search thru his articles. I believe they all have a direct link to BeerCan chicken.

John Kass is the MAN!

As for me and my household, we shall serve the Lord. Joshua

"God is great, beer is good, people are crazy." Some country artist

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2008, 01:44 AM   #12
talleymonster

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNVince
Wow talleymonster. Those mods are awesome. And that drunk chicken looks awesome as well. Did you just stick a can of coors light up the chickens nether regions and smoke away with a little dry rub?
Pretty much. I also peeled the skin back and rubbed sage butter between the meat and skin.

Yes, it was Coors Light.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:47 AM   #13
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 263 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 7

That's similar to the Weber WSM smoker. There's loads of info at http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ on it. Same principle as your Brinkman. My first smoker was a Brinkman in Germany. I would smoke fresh trout with it every weekend.

It's a good way to get started into smoking meats without spending loads of money. Use natural lump charcoal and NEVER use lighter fluid (unless you want your smoked meats to taste like Techron) to start your fire. Get a chimney or use the wax starters.

Rule of thumb on cooking meats, if it is lean, cook it hot and fast. If it is tough or fatty, cook it low & slow to break down the connective tissue and render out the fat.

Enjoy and post some pics of your cooks!

Old 01-03-2008, 11:58 AM   #14
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I have one

I built a firebox at the base of a small hill by our stream and used rock and daubed it with mud for mortar. Then I dug a trench up the hill, lined it with rocks, covered the top with big rocks and then covering it with earth to make a 'pipe'. At the top of the hill I dug a hole into which the Brinkman sits. Again more rock and earth around the base of it. I drilled a big hole on either side so that I can slide a dowel through to hold things like picnics, Turkey, etc. It works great, I get a nice cold smoke in weather like this. In fact that reminds me, I have a picnic that I need to brine and smoke! Doh. If I get around to it, I'll post some pics. It is a simple, inexpensive way to increase how much you can put inside. It basically acts as the shell.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:03 PM   #15
BNVince
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebisch01
I have one

I built a firebox at the base of a small hill by our stream and used rock and daubed it with mud for mortar. Then I dug a trench up the hill, lined it with rocks, covered the top with big rocks and then covering it with earth to make a 'pipe'. At the top of the hill I dug a hole into which the Brinkman sits. Again more rock and earth around the base of it. I drilled a big hole on either side so that I can slide a dowel through to hold things like picnics, Turkey, etc. It works great, I get a nice cold smoke in weather like this. In fact that reminds me, I have a picnic that I need to brine and smoke! Doh. If I get around to it, I'll post some pics. It is a simple, inexpensive way to increase how much you can put inside. It basically acts as the shell.
That sounds like something from the Shire where Froddo Baggins is roasting a pig. Do you have any pictures?

Old 01-03-2008, 03:54 PM   #16
Rick_R
Still Love Fried Chicken

Recipes 

+1 on the Weber smoker.

Rick

Old 01-03-2008, 04:17 PM   #17
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNVince
That sounds like something from the Shire where Froddo Baggins is roasting a pig. Do you have any pictures?
Lol. Yeah it is sort of hehe. The amazing thing is that just with rocks and mud after 2 years it's still there. If I fire it up this weekend I'll have to take some pics, although the weather is supposed to swing up to the 50's...so I am not sure yet.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:22 PM   #18
cubbies
Tastes like butterdirt

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Do not return it. If you haven't gotten into the world of smoking meat then you don't know what you are missing out on. What homebrew is too good beer, home smoking is to good barbecue.

Now, I must admit, I use the electric Brinkmann, and I am sure there are a large number of purists out there that would have me crucified for such an infraction. However, I have had no reason to change. I have been told on numerous occasions, by many different people that my pulled pork is the best they have ever had. And I also make some smoky spicy wings that would absolutely knock your socks off.

You do need to use the water pan to control the temp and yes you can put pretty much anything you want in there. I rarely use plain water. Dark beer, white wine, marinade...the list goes on and on. The one thing that I would recommend is that if you are smoking something for a really long time like a pork shoulder or a beef brisket, to add hot liquid. The liquid will most likely eventually evaporate and you will have to add more liquid...if you add it cold, it will temporarily cool off the smoker. To help keep the temp stable it helps if you preheat your liquid.

Seriously, take some time, do some research and smoke something this weekend. If you want to do something easy, go buy some chicken breasts, and a rub (you should really make your own rub, but for the sake of easiness...). Pat the chicken down with a paper towel and apply rub (you can add some sort of liquid to help adhere the rub if you like, but you shouldn't need to), and put it in the smoker at around 215 degrees. Smoke until internal temp is between 165-170 (this will take numerous hours) and remove. Let it rest for 15 minutes or so and devour.

The type of wood you use will make a difference. Use whatever you have. However, if it was me, and it was my chicken, I would probably go with half hickory and half of a fruit tree like apple or peach.

When you eat this you will see how much better even just a simple chicken breast is when smoked.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:35 PM   #19
Alamo_Beer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Oh man smoking rocks! I've got the electric version as well and love it. I did a chicken recently that rocked. All it was was a whole chicken patted dry and some porter in the water bowl. I used pecan wood and let it go for a few hours. Man did that thing rock.

Hmm, I think i'll have to break it out for this weekend!

Enjoy

Old 01-03-2008, 06:05 PM   #20
krispy d
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

funny this thread shows up today... I just today bought all the parts to build a smoker. Spent the beginning of the afternoon throwing it all together and the meat is smoking while I type.

Yay for smoke and brew!

Old Burnside Ten Penny Ale
Primary
Westbrook Porter
Secondary

Empty
Up Next
A big IPA ??

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”
-Benjamin Franklin

Quick Reply