Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Does Anyone Else Eat This?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2010, 11:13 PM   #1
KingBrianI
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Does Anyone Else Eat This?

One of my all-time favorite comfort foods is something my grandfather taught me when I was a little kid. He had a bunch of interesting combos for food but this one really stuck with me. He grew up poor in East Tennessee so I'm not sure if it's something people around there do or if it was just him. But it's living on with me because I can eat the heck out of the stuff.

What it is is basically pinto beans that have been cooking all day with a chunk of salt pork or something in there. You put some of those in a bowl along with some of their liquid, then add a generous splash of apple cider vinegar, and a bunch of black pepper. Add a wedge of onion and accompany the whole thing with a slice of white bread or cornbread. I've never seen anyone else eat this so I was just curious if other people eat beans this way or if it was unique to my family. Other variations are that you can add chow-chow (a kind of pepper relish) or corn relish to the beans for a little change. Anyone else do this?

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2010, 11:36 PM   #2
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Nope, but it sounds simple and delicious!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 10-01-2010, 11:41 PM   #3
KCBrewer
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1392 Times on 1364 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I don't recall the cider vinegar being used, but I do remember pinto beans & cornbread. I still like them too. My mom and dad split when we were young, so with 4 kids plus full time college & work, things were tight for her.

I also remember what she called S.O.S. (**** On Shingles). It was something like a slice of toast with chipped beef and gravy poured on it. If I remember right, she got the "recipe" from what my dad told her they often served them in the army, and that was their name for it. Dessert was not often, and was sometimes rice with sugar & cinnamon. I still eat it all, and actually like it.

Old 10-02-2010, 12:22 AM   #4
kornbread
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

We eat em like that too here in NC. I don't usually go with the vinegar but I've seen several people add it to their beans.

My Brother in law puts vinegar on his cornbread. To be clear: when I say cornbread I'm not talking about the sweet, yellow, cake-like, cornbread but real buttermilk cornbread.

My grandmother used to pickle little cayenne peppers while they were still small and green before they got too hot. These little peppers are an outstanding side to a bowl of pintos and cornbread.

Old 10-02-2010, 12:29 AM   #5
Brek81
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

we have something similar, using northern beans rather than pinto, definatly good home style eats IMHO

Old 10-02-2010, 04:51 AM   #6
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCBrewer View Post
Dessert was not often, and was sometimes rice with sugar & cinnamon. I still eat it all, and actually like it.
My mom eats rice this way sometimes!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 10-02-2010, 08:07 AM   #7
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 784 Times on 546 Posts
Likes Given: 2083

With the exception of the vinegar, yep. We'd also often have potatoes too & would crumble the cornbread over the taters & ladle the beans & sauce over it all. Regards, GF.

Old 10-02-2010, 02:34 PM   #8
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

No, but it sounds like something a fellow Naval officer's wife made. She use garbanzo beans and made a crock pot full every week. Being a Filipino, there was always rice.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:41 AM   #9
MeadWitch
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Yep, I grew up watching my mom and dad eat beans this way. I still cook beans with ham hocks or ham bone in it occassionally. Old habits die hard. And forget about having beans without cornbread, just gotta have it. Don't do the raw onion though, I put it in the beans while they are cooking. I grew up having a bottle of vinegar with peppers in it, on the table with the salt & pepper shakers. Beans, chili, etc. When you grow up poor, you learn how to spice up your food the best way you know how.

Tertiary: Sweet Dried Cherry/Vanilla Mead, Prickly Pear Mead, Jalapeno-Peach Sweet Mead

Bottled: Huajillo Honey Mead - 4 bottles only, first ever mead, Light Draft Style Cider, Raspberry Mead, Hibiscus Mead, JAOM, Peach Melba Mead, Limoncello, Kahlua, Spiced Winter Cider, Orange/Vanilla Mead

Old 10-04-2010, 03:45 AM   #10
MeadWitch
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

[QUOTE=KCBrewer;231278
I also remember what she called S.O.S. (**** On Shingles). It was something like a slice of toast with chipped beef and gravy poured on it. If I remember right, she got the "recipe" from what my dad told her they often served them in the army, and that was their name for it. Dessert was not often, and was sometimes rice with sugar & cinnamon. I still eat it all, and actually like it.[/QUOTE]

Actually, we use to beg my dad to make SOS for breakfast. He was an old Marine who use to get up every Sunday morning and make the most awesome breakfasts ever. I carry on the tradition every Sunday morning with my kiddos.

Tertiary: Sweet Dried Cherry/Vanilla Mead, Prickly Pear Mead, Jalapeno-Peach Sweet Mead

Bottled: Huajillo Honey Mead - 4 bottles only, first ever mead, Light Draft Style Cider, Raspberry Mead, Hibiscus Mead, JAOM, Peach Melba Mead, Limoncello, Kahlua, Spiced Winter Cider, Orange/Vanilla Mead

Quick Reply