Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Do beer drinkers eat sushi?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2008, 03:17 PM   #21
Mutilated1
Beer Drenched Executioner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

kitten and I tried making Sushi a few years ago when we lived in Atlanta because there were Oriental grocery stores to get good ingredients, it was pretty fun to make it, but honestly its not really worthwhile if you're doing it from a saving money perspective

Instead of taking $20 bucks and getting the ingredients to make 6 tuna rolls, I would rather spend $20 at the sushi restaurant and get tuna roll, elvis roll, dragon roll , + 3-4 varieties of sashimi

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2008, 03:19 PM   #22
farmbrewernw
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I make California rolls every once in a while, it's actually really easy.

I'm working as a pro now, but that doesn't mean I'm not still homebrewing. I'm going to see if I can homebrew at work as a way to develop new recipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgrafi
wow, tha more I drink, tha more cohernet you all are!
and stufffff.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:44 PM   #23
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Well, tbh, I have found it very cheap to make your own Sushi. Even a top quality piece of fish, you don't need much so maybe a few bucks gives you enough for several Maki. The Nori can be bought for less than $0.10, and the rice is running less than $1/lb now (I use Kohuko Rose sp?). The Sushi-Su is merely Rice vinegar, Sugar and salt (I simmer mine with Kombu). Kombu is a few cents for seasoning the rice. Wasabi can be purchased in a bulk bag for a few bucks at Asian grocers.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:45 PM   #24
FatDuc

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmbrewernw View Post
I make California rolls every once in a while, it's actually really easy.
I make sushi every couple months, and have for years. All our local supermarkets are stocking Nori (seaweed wrappers) these days, and I'm in smalltown North Carolina. You don't have to have Toro or Maguro to have good sushi.

I regularly just make California rolls, and if I want a cheap sushi fix just to munch on, and I'm not feeling real EAC'ish, I'll even use Krab.

The trick to making good sushi at home is to really get the rice right. There are bottled all-in-one sushi rice dressings out there, but I find these to be really overpowering, particularly compared to most sushi places I've been stateside and in Japan. I usually just use a bit of Mirin to get the right light twang of vinegar, but never as much as many directions tell you to use. Like a proper pizza where it's all about the crust, not the toppings, sushi is all about the rice and the interaction of the other ingredients. If you just want fish eat sashimi.

Use the right rice. Short grain white.

Really wash the rice well. Don't just give it a cursory rinse. Agitate the uncooked rice in the pot with your hand and keep rinsing it regularly until the water in the pot no longer turns white while you stir.

Cook the rice.

Cool the rice. I mean get in there and stir it and fan it and get it cooled, kind of like cooling wort... If you season the rice warm it ain't going to taste right when cooled. Working the rice while cooling it also makes it a bit stickier, which is good, particularly if you're doing Nigiri style sushi.

For rolls, you don't have to have a bamboo rolling mat, but it helps. You can also just do hand rolls, which are cone shaped and don't require cutting. An absolute favorite of mine that I always order when I go out for sushi is a Salmon Skin Hand Roll. Good stuff!

If you're a wasabi fan go ahead and use the prepared stuff in a tube. The dry stuff in a can might last longer, but it doesn't have the punch of the tubed stuff.

If you like having the ginger in between pieces of sushi then buy some whole ginger root and peel it, then cut it yourself. The pink crap in a jar you might find some places is gross compared to fresh cut ginger.

Have fun with it. When salmon season would open on the CA central coast where I used to live I would chow down on homemade sushi. Now that I'm on the east coast I don't make it quite as often, but I have made some really great rolls using blue crab I caught myself.
Quote:
A child-like man is not a man whose development has been arrested; on the contrary, he is a man who has given himself a chance of continuing to develop long after most adults have muffled themselves in the cocoon of middle-aged habit and convention. Aldous Huxley
Fat Duc Brewing
Special Character cheatsheets

Old 08-19-2008, 03:54 PM   #25
Sk84BeeR
Recipes 

+1 for the California rolls. It's hard to get sushi grade fish here, so thats pretty much all I make. SWMBO loves the fact I can just throw it together on the fly.
TiP: Dip your knife in a cup of water before you cut through the roll and you will have an easier time cutting it.

bamboo roller=cheap
seaweed=cheap
fake crab=cheap
avacado= seasonal
cucumber=cheap
impressing the ladies without spending a fortune=priceless

Think of something inspirational. Then pretend I wrote it here.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:57 PM   #26
Natas
Recipes 

We've had a few sushi parties and they are great. Just have a rice cooker ready and make the sushi rice, then everyone brings an ingredient. (Make sure they know to get sushi grade cuts) Then we would all stand around and make rolls. Then sit down to a table COVERED with the ugliest damn rolls you've ever seen, but they all (mostly) tasted great.
Then we clean up and tear into some well deserved homebrews. Last time was a barleywine, triple, and grand cru tasting. Goes well with sushi.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:04 PM   #27
FireBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyangler18 View Post
SWMBO and I make maki sushi about once a month. She's not the adventurous eater, sticking with tuna and California rolls. Me on the other hand? Bring it on!
Gonna have to put that on the to-do list next time we meet up.

I'm just starting to venture out into sushi beyond California roll. And I did try to make it at home...wasn't as pretty as in the restaurant but it filled the craving. Watched Alton Brown and decided to give it a try.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:24 PM   #28
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

Quote:
Sushi isn't a food, it's a way of life.
Haven't tried making my own, but my business partner has. After her divorce, she swore she'd never make it again. Way too much work and expense, unless you focus on one or two types; then it gets boring.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-19-2008, 10:29 PM   #29
farmbrewernw
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Yeah I should add that it can be very cheap, I haven't delved into using raw fish but you wouldn't need all that much so I don't see why you couldn't do this as well. Trouble for me is that SWMBO doesn't like sushi so while I get more for myself I end up cooking two meals because she wont eat it (it's not just my sushi either we have been to some very nice sushi restaurants and she will try it but always thinks it's gross) so it's too much work most of the time.

I'm working as a pro now, but that doesn't mean I'm not still homebrewing. I'm going to see if I can homebrew at work as a way to develop new recipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgrafi
wow, tha more I drink, tha more cohernet you all are!
and stufffff.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:01 PM   #30
Rick500
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Haven't made my own yet, but I could eat about a dozen Philadelphia rolls right now...

Quick Reply